1996 Passat Wagon TDI silver (B4V) - $6000 - Houston, Tx

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
SOLD.....
Car is SOLD...
For those looking to sell a B4V in the future, I had 5 people in the waiting list, with offers up to $7k ($1k over asking).
The guy who bought it (member on here) got a sweet deal, but that is the reward for being quick off the mark, sorry.
I know a few are struggling with insurance claims on these cars, hope this helps ?

Original Texas Car, no rust, very clean body and interior, 236k miles
I purchased (rescued) this car in 2009 in Dallas as a backup vehicle for my Black B4V
(if you know these B4 wagons, you know how rare they are, hence why I wanted a spare)
Clear blue (ie not salvage) Texas Title, recently Inspected (good till Feb 2012)
I have reworked the engine and made some improvements
Piston bores rehoned, new Goetze piston rings (standard size 79.50mm)
New head gasket (2-hole) & head bolts
Compression 450+psi on all 4 cylinders
New timing belt (Conti), tensioner, pulleys, complete water pump, thermostat
New rear main seal, crank seal, cam seal, intermediate shaft seal
New transmission oil (Redline MT90)
Fresh oil & filter (Mobil 1 TDT 5w40)
New air filter & cabin filter
Resealed Injection Pump, no leaks
Sprint P520 nozzles (30k miles)
RocketChip Stage 3
G60/VR6 clutch (10k miles)
Borbet 14" alloy wheels
New leather shift boot and hand brake
Everything works : windows, mirrors, cold AC, door handles, sunroof, etc

Needs / Issues :
Could use new shocks, front end bounces a little
Tires have about 5k left on them
Could use an alignment
CV boots are old (but not torn yet)
Driver's interior door handle loose - works fine (easy to replace from a junker)
Two small interior pieces missing from drivers door area (again easy finds from a junker)
Headlights need a polish (I will also include a pair of stock headlights, with bigger bulbs)
Front bumper has a deep paint scrape, minor paint scrapes elsewhere

Selling because I have a new TDI project car (Audi TTq) and I do not have space for all these cars !
(3x Passat TDI wagons)

[/CENTER]

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jeremy... sure you don't want it ? you need a 'spare' for that rocketship of yours.:D

jackgreen

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta tdi
it looks like you put a lot of work into this car. looks great!

so, i seriously only missed buying this car right before you by 2 seconds!
i had my credit card in my hand, i asked if he was ready for the numbers and he said "hold on, the guy who was just looking at it is back"
it's ok though, i already had a green one.
i suppose if i had the room, and the money, i would have one of every color!

good luck with the sale of this rare beauty!

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
it looks like you put a lot of work into this car. looks great!

so, i seriously only missed buying this car right before you by 2 seconds!
i had my credit card in my hand, i asked if he was ready for the numbers and he said "hold on, the guy who was just looking at it is back"
it's ok though, i already had a green one.
i suppose if i had the room, and the money, i would have one of every color!

good luck with the sale of this rare beauty!
haha ! yes, I do recall telling the owner to get off the damn phone with another buyer (you I guess?) and take my money. I was in the process of talking him down from the asking price when you called, so I had no choice but to pay full price, or loose it. So in fact you cost me $800 ! :)
Plus I had to spend $250 renting a trailer one-way and towing it home, because it was pretty sick (stuck thermostat and worst squeal I have ever heard ! turned out to just be a VERY dead harmonic balancer, but I wasn't going to risk it)
It was listed at 10am Monday, I was looking at it by 4pm (after a 4 hr drive) and bought by 5pm. Sorry ;) sounds like you didn't need it anyway !

Last edited:

eagletalon

TDI
None at the moment
I'm going to have to say that that is one clean wagon. One of the best kept ones I have seen. Too bad you are a far away from my area because I would be interested. GLWS!

TDITIT

TDI
99 GOLF
so is this wagon still available? and how much less mpg will a wagon give:confused:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Sale is still pending, should know more in a day or two once the buyer inspects.

Wagons get the same mpg as the sedan, I get ~45 mpg per tank (hand calc) and have seen ~52 mpg at around 60 mph on a long run.
Yes, the tank is a major selling point. The sedans have ~19 gal tanks, but the wagons have ~26 gal tanks. The gauge reads the same (18 at full mark), but you can vent up to ~26 gals into it. Fun part is you can get ~300 miles before the gauge even moves from full !
Best I have managed (in my black one) was 1089 miles to a very full tank. I think I was running on fumes when I filled (25.1 gals if I recall). I have heard of higher ranges by others.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Best I'd heard was somewhere around 1400 miles. :eek:
That is theoretically possible, 1400 miles with 26 gals = 54 mpg.
You would need to sit at 50 mph for 28 hours to achieve it, I suspect you would need some bathroom breaks ;)
That is one thing that hurts, you find yourself driving 8+hrs straight in these, your bladder gives out long before the fuel tank !
The best part though is filling up before a hurricane, and then knowing you can make it 1200+ miles before you need to find fuel :)

Just last week I was filling up at a big truck stop in town. Big rig next to me asked the usual question "is that a diesel ?!". He was from Montana, filling his twin 300 gallon tanks ! I pointed out I could get ~30,000 miles on his one fill up... he was pretty shocked !

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
All PMs replied, thanks.
Car is SOLD...
For those looking to sell a B4V in the future, I had 5 people in the waiting list, with offers up to $7k ($1k over asking).
I know a few are struggling with insurance claims on these cars, hope this helps ?

Beaterluv

TDI
1996 B4V tdi, 1981 Rabbit pickup AHU, MK2 gli 1z
Is the b4v still for sale?

Just kidding! I always wanted to bring an old thread back from 7 years ago. I am the new owner of this car. I bought it down in Houston in October of 2018. 317,000 miles now. It now resides in Colorado. Other than the clear coat, and a few small pieces missing from interior, the car is in great shape still. Just thought the OP might enjoy seeing it is still on the road.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
This is Still my favorite color on the wagon. Or is it the tornado red that David owns.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Makes me miss my Storm Grey B4V. I would still be driving it if it wasn't wrecked, but she did her job and protected me.

hoehler11

TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 2004 passat tdi wagon
96/97 wagon club? listing of them still on the road?

All PMs replied, thanks.
Car is SOLD...
I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a listing or club of 96/97 wagons out there?