Strange Engine Noise, engine BKC

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all,

I have a really irritating noise coming from the around the engine of a Golf MK5 1.9TDI SE (engine BKC), with 111K miles. Like a high pitched squealing. Only happens when engine has no load between 2200-1400rpm, so only happens when decelerating or when revving at idle. Doesn't matter if clutch in/out or in gear/out of gear or 10mph, 70mph. If a touch the throttle even a little when decelerating, noise immediately dissappears.

Sounds like a slipping serpentine belt or squeaky tensioner, except I already ruled those out. Suggestions are EGR connecting pipe from manifold to EGR cooler at the moment as there is a faint smell of exhaust from within the engine bay. But I am wondering whether exhaust leakage can cause this sort of noise in particular with the above circumstances (i.e less throttle=less exhaust right?), and it's not the turbo failing or something disastrous pending... Also curious to know whether there is still exhaust when engine braking is occuring, since car is not burning any fuel?

Video of the squeal is attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYm_FaAy7U

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks!

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
I have never heard anything like that.

I would check out the EGR circuit for the cause.
Hi. Yes I am inclined to believe it is the EGR Lower Pipe. What I am trying to figure out is can this sort of noise occur from a leaky pipe under the circumstances mentioned (i.e. no load/decelerating/engine braking etc...).

Thanks.