www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 17th, 2019, 08:26   #31
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

The cables, the set I bought, the set the Mexican fellows had and the set my friend brought were/are all fairly thin. About 3/8" including insulation, rated at 600 amp.
So in other words not hefty enough for starting a Diesel.
Having said that, I did remember reading at one time running two sets of cables in parralell would work.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 11:00   #32
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

When my oem battery went, the car was almost impossible to jumpstart with cables.... found a mechanic with a big pick-up truck and a high output alternator, and after 5-10 minutes could crank with a HEAVY set of cables..., outside temp was about 33f/0c. Car would not crank off his work van. Guessing a cell failed internally. Remove and replace...even a cheap local battery would be ok for a couple months till you drive North...then drop into someplace and get one.
In my case, the battery showed zero signs of failure and DID read good volts on a jump pack readout with a built-in voltmeter that I keep around (car sits for 2 weeks or more at a time at airports, so I keep it in the trunk since I already own it, and at supposedly 800 amps for cranking upto a 3L Diesel, it couldn't do it). When not parked at an airport on a trip, sometimes it stays home in a heated garage with a battery tender when I use a car service....but about 4 years and 55k on an OEM battery, and it was done.
Ironic...I almost swapped it out in the fall due to age, but it seemed to crank well on colder days, and had good numbers on a free test.

Last edited by ZippyNH; January 17th, 2019 at 11:09.
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:28   #33
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

My friends today brought my new H8-AGM battery down for me. It's a Duralast Platinum "Made in Germany", by whom I don't know now.
900 cranking amps at 0
1000 cranking amps at 32
90 amp hrs

Thank you all for helping me.

Over and out!
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote