Miles Before DSG Clutch Replacement - Estimate or Actual

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
How many miles do you all think the DSG clutch Pak will last?
Anyone wear out their DSG clutch yet? Yes, miles
Related note how many DMF issues on the DSG vs. Manual.

The fact it is dual clutch, a multi layer pack it should last a long time,
provided driving mostly highway and not stop and go. There is friction
plate material that will wear.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...sure agree with 'brakes are cheaper than a clutch'......................

ez

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My DSG 2009 DSG Sportwagen has towed etc and the flywheel was replaces at 240,000 miles, but I have noticed not one problem with the DSG or the clutches.
I think that the dual clutches live a fairly easy life and since they are wet they will last a long time.
Even when towing the gearing is so low in first and the engine and the transmission are matched so closely in speed along with the action of the oil cushioning and cooling the discs I think they are good to go for the long haul. I wouldn't waste much time worrying about them. The DMF is another story and I think that idling is as big a problem as driving for it.
Oilhammer has a=said he would worry more about Canada attacking the US than the DSG transmission and I this I agree with him.
I also think that all of the worry about towing with the DSG is also unwarranted.
Of course if you go out of your way to Raw-Dog the car then you can generate problems with any part of it!
I think to some extent this a the reason for some of the problems we see here.
Not included it that observation are the HPFP, DMF. A/C, Sunroof, etc. that are unrelated to driving stress, but are still a PITA.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

ez
Just about the stupidest statement I have ever heard. Downshifting causes close to Zero wear on a clutch, so the idea that coasting in neutral and using the brakes to slow down is completely bogus as far as clutch wear is concerned.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've replaced a couple that were worn to the point there was slippage, and the M-unit knew it. 1/4 million + mile cars, though.

I've also had to replace the clutches because the input shaft was so beat up from the DMF splines stripping out. But those were not slipping.

I have also had to replace them due to the clutch cover cracking and spewing fluid out the bellhousing.

You'll likely have to replace the DMF a couple times before the clutches actually wear out, if they ever really do.

Most will last a very, very long time.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
the OH"s word does carry a lot of weight around here. Certainly a lot more that my feeble attempts at the truth.............

takis56

TDI
JSW TDI 2011, GOLF 2015 TDI
I just replaced mine under 60,000 miles 2011 tdi. Under warranty but the dealer charged me $368 +tax for service it first and replace the fuel filter as it was told from the corporate. The only thing I didn't pay was the clutch. They didn't do any flywheel replacement.

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
Necro bump. I know my car is a 2009 so technically an A5 but anyway.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492429

Apparently VW thinks the lifetime on clutches is less than the 160k i have on my car because they are refusing to fix it under a warranty that I have confirmed does cover my transmission and MU. I was told that the warranty is written in a vague manner so it is at their discretion as to what they will cover in the transmission as it is related to the extended emissions warranty.

So there you have it, clutches are only good for 163281 miles.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
250k miles now and it has started to chatter only on cold startup then goes away at operating temp. I can't believe it's lated this long since it's been deleted and tuned since 75k miles and cr170 since 200k

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Necro bump. I know my car is a 2009 so technically an A5 but anyway.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492429
Apparently VW thinks the lifetime on clutches is less than the 160k i have on my car because they are refusing to fix it under a warranty that I have confirmed does cover my transmission and MU. I was told that the warranty is written in a vague manner so it is at their discretion as to what they will cover in the transmission as it is related to the extended emissions warranty.
So there you have it, clutches are only good for 163281 miles.
I've read their new warranty and they specifically disclaim the entire transmission. There's nothing vague about it. It says the warranty covers anything that causes the MIL to illuminate, OTHER than the transmission.
Sorry that they chose to do this, but it wasn't much of a surprise.

They have never wanted to cover anything on the transmissions and if they could sell cars without any warranty at all - they would. This extended warranty is being forced on them by the settlement, or we would ALL be completely out of luck.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
ez
That is too funny. If you could somehow never have to take off from a stop a clutch would last about a million miles even with down shifting.

Torching your brakes by not down shifting and coasting in neutral up to stops is not saving any wear on a clutch.

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
I've read their new warranty and they specifically disclaim the entire transmission. There's nothing vague about it. It says the warranty covers anything that causes the MIL to illuminate, OTHER than the transmission.
Sorry that they chose to do this, but it wasn't much of a surprise.
They have never wanted to cover anything on the transmissions and if they could sell cars without any warranty at all - they would. This extended warranty is being forced on them by the settlement, or we would ALL be completely out of luck.
Sorry for the double necro bump.

Geordi, can you link me to the newest warranty info where it says that for a 2009 JSW? Because specifically for the 2009 model year JSW my transmission MU and transmission ARE covered. I verified this through my VIN with corporate.

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
Run your VIN here, and it should give you the pamphlet that VW is sending out with the modified cars.

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/

They specifically exclude the transmission from anything that is covered by the OBD detection system and also covered by the warranty. If you have a CPO warranty, that is different.
And see that's what I thought until I saw the Canadian warranty card where it states that 2009 Jetta Sportwagens with the DSG had coverage and look at the verbage.

https://owners.vwmodels.ca/pdf/VW_2L%20Gen%201_v2_CAN%20EN_FINAL.pdf

So I had corporate look into it and my car IS COVERED (despite being in the US) same as what is printed on the Canadian warranty sheet.

I asked them specifically if my transmission and mechatronic unit is covered and I was told that it was because the 2009 model year receives some update to the software that controls the mech unit on certain VINs.

My car was one of those cars.

The words printed say the transmission and transmission mechatronic unit. I figured the clutch packs were part of the transmission but they don't agree.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
They will agree to anything that seems to make the customer happy... As long as it doesn't cost them any money.

The instant it will cost them a nickel, they are going to fight to the death.

Of course the clutches are part of the transmission - that IS the transmission! What are they "covering" then... Just the outer casing? Oh wait - they designed the car with a very low clearance and only a PLASTIC protector for the transmission pan... So nope, can't cover that! Might actually need to spend money when it is a design flaw! (All this is sarcasm, if that's not obvious)

Really. They won't cover the FUEL SYSTEM when the high pressure pump fails internally, b/c of their poor design - they blame the end user first, in EVERY case I've read about. The user has to fight with them to get them to cover anything, meanwhile being deprived of the car that they (often) are still paying on. Warranties are only as good as the company willing to stand behind them. Car manufacturers are in the business of selling new cars, not fixing the ones they already sold. The warranty is just a means to calm people into trusting them, and buying the car.

You are just about always better off doing the work yourself.

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
I have fought them on numerous things with this car and got them to cover every single thing, except this thing. So I really can't complain.
Long before the scandal they covered a seat replacement and seat warmer that tried to burn my wife's butt off. Had a free loaner Tiguan for 51 days, 5k worth of work, no charge.

They covered a manifold replacement so I could get my emissions fix when I complained that the code thrown could be fixed with a 30 dollar part and 10 minutes work.

2 weeks post fix threw a code and I complained that it was fix related. They covered replacement of heater core and all related piping through the firewall. Had 4 different free loaners for that and almost 2 months in the shop. No charge.

I think they were tired of shoving money into a 10 year old car.

Then Fields VW lost my belly pan and threw a massive fit when I told them their techs forgot to put it back on. They couldn't be bothered to find it or track down what happened. I complained to corporate. They gave me a new pan and bolts then told me to find a new dealership.

I can't really complain about the clutches but I did anyway because I'm irreverent and silly.

TDI
2013 Sportwagen, 2001 NB
Then Fields VW lost my belly pan and threw a massive fit when I told them their techs forgot to put it back on. They couldn't be bothered to find it or track down what happened. I complained to corporate. They gave me a new pan and bolts then told me to find a new dealership.

I can't really complain about the clutches but I did anyway because I'm irreverent and silly.
Hahahaha Fields. So you had Sarah from VWofA tell you the same thing huh? Go find a different dealer. They SUCK. I’m in Palm Coast and even the good techs there know they’re being held back by that place. I’m going to O’Steen for now. They fixed what Fields couldn’t/wouldn’t.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
If you find yourself on the South East coast of Florida, stay away from Gunther in Ft Lauderdale or Coconut Creek.

They can't find their butts with both hands and a flashlight!

I was "encouraged" to find another dealer after declining a non-warranty repair of the entire fuel pump (for $3500) on my 01 Jetta TDI... For a code for the fuel temp sensor. A $15 resistor that they sold me at THEIR OWN PARTS COUNTER (while they were finding my car even), they insisted that their "guided fault finding" system told them that the ONLY WAY to fix this was replacing the entire pump.

Of course that was bogus, and I told them so - and said no thanks on the "repair" since I drove the car here, I'd like to just drive it home then. They brought it around and I signed the repair-declined paper... The next time I went in, they tried telling me I owed them $250 for their "diagnostics" and when I questioned WHY would I have been handed back my car and keys (and the copy of the paper that I had signed in their system was conveniently "lost" and they didn't give me a copy but it did say $0 due)... That was when they decided I would be better at another dealer.

Yeah... Me myself and I incorporated. I haven't (willingly) left a car at a dealership since. The amount of screwed up repairs on my cars has also dropped significantly!

Teamzarz

TDI
2009 JSW
Hahahaha Fields. So you had Sarah from VWofA tell you the same thing huh? Go find a different dealer. They SUCK. I’m in Palm Coast and even the good techs there know they’re being held back by that place. I’m going to O’Steen for now. They fixed what Fields couldn’t/wouldn’t.
YES!!! Sarah! She is clueless. I was trying to reach out to Borg Warner so they could tell me from their testing how long the engineered the clutches to last so I could email her some information!

You should read my email chain in my other thread with her.

nicholasn

TDI
none currently
How many miles do you all think the DSG clutch Pak will last?
Anyone wear out their DSG clutch yet? Yes, miles
Related note how many DMF issues on the DSG vs. Manual.

The fact it is dual clutch, a multi layer pack it should last a long time,
provided driving mostly highway and not stop and go. There is friction
plate material that will wear.
The dual mass flywheel seized in my 6MT GTI a little over a year ago (at about 200k miles). Clutch disk had plenty of life left on it, but I replaced it since I had the transmission out already.

Just about the stupidest statement I have ever heard. Downshifting causes close to Zero wear on a clutch, so the idea that coasting in neutral and using the brakes to slow down is completely bogus as far as clutch wear is concerned.
Only if done properly through rev-matching. If you push in the clutch, downshift, and then let the clutch out without matching the engine speed to the transmission speed, the engine will be spinning much slower than the transmission, and the clutch disk will have to take up all of the slack. It is true that it will slow down the car, but it wears out your clutch much more rapidly than using your brakes does (which are much easier to replace than clutches). Also, if you're driving spiritedly, downshifting without rev-matching will upset the balance of the car.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Only if done properly through rev-matching. If you push in the clutch, downshift, and then let the clutch out without matching the engine speed to the transmission speed, the engine will be spinning much slower than the transmission, and the clutch disk will have to take up all of the slack. It is true that it will slow down the car, but it wears out your clutch much more rapidly than using your brakes does (which are much easier to replace than clutches). Also, if you're driving spiritedly, downshifting without rev-matching will upset the balance of the car.
This is much more applicable to a dry clutch system. The Wet Clutch systems in our DSG transmissions soak up a lot of the "slack" with ease compared to a dry clutch. They're not bullet-proof but being submerged in lubrication fluid helps.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
That is too funny. If you could somehow never have to take off from a stop a clutch would last about a million miles even with down shifting.

Torching your brakes by not down shifting and coasting in neutral up to stops is not saving any wear on a clutch.
You must be looking for a fight with those type of inflammatory comments, which were so not called for... Many people coast in neutral for a number of reasons. Brakes ARE cheaper than clutches, which was his point.

nicholasn

TDI
none currently
This is much more applicable to a dry clutch system. The Wet Clutch systems in our DSG transmissions soak up a lot of the "slack" with ease compared to a dry clutch. They're not bullet-proof but being submerged in lubrication fluid helps.
I'm not quite as familiar with DCTs, but I know that they do automatically match revs when downshifting (you can hear the engine suddenly spin a bit faster when it drops a gear). If it didn't do that, you would feel a jolt each time it downshifted because the engine and transmission would be spinning at different speeds. I think upshifting actually causes more clutch wear in DCTs than downshifting, because the engine speed doesn't fall nearly as quickly as the transmission shifts, so some slippage occurs (especially during hard acceleration). However, since everything is computer controlled, it is optimized to provide longevity while also enhancing smoothness and efficiency, whereas in manual transmissions those things have to be learned by the driver.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Left my Passat bitdi 240bhp in for a flywheel replacement and dsg oil change. On inspection they found the clutch pack worn. My car uses the DQ500 box. Mileage 160,000 miles. It’s been remapped since new(290bhp) so i don’t think the clutch life too bad.