New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
Newbie sort-of

Hello everyone,

Since I just got a second Golf TDI one four door the latest two door both are 5 speed and I thought it was time to join in the forum fun. :D
The 4D recently got a new single clutch replacing the DM and the MPG increased ~5. :D Which now puts it around 60mpg! And people wonder why there are TDI enthusiasts?

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Went home with the car I was looking at last night. A 2015 VW Golf TDI Sportswagen. Truck was killing me in mileage, and this defiantly shouldn’t. Pictures to come soon. I will become more involved with the forum as well. Was an avid member of one of the GM truck forums and plan on doing the same here learning more about these and the do’s and donts and what have you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
New to the club. Just purchased a 5 speed 98 jetta tdi for $500. A valve let go and said hello to the middle of the piston.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
New to the club. Just purchased a 5 speed 98 jetta tdi for $500. A valve let go and said hello to the middle of the piston.

the only time I have ever seen a single piston let go like that is from an injector sticking open too long or dripping staying open until the valve &/or piston is melted becoming one...I remember taking an old rabbit diesel head off finding all of the valves planted in the pistons, a nasty site...I have a picture of that somewhere....

also took apart a Mitsubishi engine once found all of the valves planted in the pistons, ran too lean until parts melted into that configuration from a failed crank angle sensor cutting the fueling back too far...

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
the only time I have ever seen a single piston let go like that is from an injector sticking open too long or dripping staying open until the valve &/or piston is melted becoming one...I remember taking an old rabbit diesel head off finding all of the valves planted in the pistons, a nasty site...I have a picture of that somewhere....

also took apart a Mitsubishi engine once found all of the valves planted in the pistons, ran too lean until parts melted into that configuration from a failed crank angle sensor cutting the fueling back too far...
It could be worse.

DAVE.MK4.TDI

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
Introductions!

Hi all!
I’m Dave, I’ve had my mk4 tdi golf for a year and I recently “totaled” it. I’ve been working slowly on getting the car running again.
I consider my wreck a good thing since I can make all my dreams of upgrades come true now:) I look forward to reading up and asking questions here!

BorderBadger

TDI
‘12 Golf
Hey all. Long time VW owner. Just got a 2012 Golf TDI with only 38k on it. So far so good! Looking for some easy upgrades so I can learn to do some things on my own.

Wagone

TDI
1996 Passat wagon
I'm new! Just bought a '96 Passat TDI wagon. Been a diesel guy for a long time but my Benz finally gave out at 418k miles and when this wagon popped up I bit. Both my kids have Jettas, so I'm not entirely new to VWs, but I've got a few things on mine that will need sorting out. Thanks for all the great info here, I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of searching.

SalinaEd

TDI
2012 Passat SE DSG
Newbie Introduction

I bought a black 2012 Passat SE (85k) for my wife who has an 80 mile round trip commute each week day. I was originally going to get a hybrid but my local dealer said they are more for city driving. Next my wife was wanting a Camry because my son has one and it has performed really well. Then a friend who used to own a VW TDI got me interested. He said he was expecting it to last 500K before it was recalled. After doing some research I converted my wife to the idea. It was a rocky start. The engine light came on within 24 hours which the dealer took care of but it made my wife nervous as to its fitness. We live in Kansas but bought it in Dallas while visiting family for the holidays. It ran like a a top and got 35 mpg on the trip home. My wife was again happy. Once home in Kansas we experienced a brutal cold spell and needed to jump start the car a few times. The engine light came back on, and the DEF indicator said we had 200 more miles before the car wouldn’t start. We also discovered that one of the key fobs would not open the car even though it would start it. Very unhappy wife. She wanted to return it to the dealer. (Over 7 hours away) First the battery was bad and that was solved. We felt pretty nervous about driving with the engine light on. The nearest dealer was 80 miles away and they assured us that as long as the engine light was not flashing that it was OK to drive to them. We both took a half day off from work to get it there. They called and said the battery caused the engine light and the DEF indicator to come on. Once they cleared the codes it was fine. The programming of the fob was over $80. We will be contacting the original dealer in Dallas about reimbursing us for the costs we have incurred. Since then we have taken a trip to Missouri as well as my wife’s daily commute and it is driving great. Very happy wife. My only regret is that I only get to drive it on the weekends and our occasional road trips.

Soli deo gloria

Last edited:

deadsmiley

TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Last night I bought a 2014 Golf TDI, 6 spd manual with 50k on it. Car looks really good and has a bumper to bumper 2 year warranty.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Last night I bought a 2014 Golf TDI, 6 spd manual with 50k on it. Car looks really good and has a bumper to bumper 2 year warranty.

Probably the extended emissions warranty as well! I just picked one up on Thursday last week. Today was the first time I filled it up lol

reyortdor

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, since I'm a "new" owner of a 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, but I've been part of similar forums for other cars. It's always helpful to hear from fellow owners!
I'm primarily here because a few problems have cropped up on my car and I need some advice. I figured there may be a few here that can help me. But I plan to stick around and hang out since I now belong to the club. :)
This is just an intro thread, so I'll start a new one to ask my questions (I've already tried searching).

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Welcome to TDI Club! Better than most, lots of great info, plenty of erroneous comments as well. Moderators are pretty laid back.
Here is a nice user contributed google search hack, very handy-
VW TDI Search Engine

rfreeman56

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Newby in Missouri

Signed up last year, just never made an introduction. Bought a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI about a year ago. I live in Kansas City, MO. Have worked on diesels for about 13 years before I retired. I consider myself to be my own "extended warranty." Usually I don't post much, just lurk to see what I can learn. Thanks for letting me in.

Dimikrum

TDI
2006 vw jetta tdi
hi im not exactly a newbie but im having some trouble with my 2006 vw jetta tdi.... i accidentally got gas into my fuel tank somehow, and so i pumped all the fuel out of my fuel tank and emptied the fuel lines and got a new fuel filter but ow my car isnt starting, i scanned my check engine light and all im getting is a volume air flow circuit performance reading and a fuel temp sensor and an engine coolant temp sensor, can i get some help here or some tips and suggestions on what i should do and if either of the sensors could stop my car from starting up? thank you, i would appreciate some help :)

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
New, Not New.

Currently I own a 2009 VW JSW TDI (185K miles), which falls under the VW buyback Settlement and will be sold back to VW for $12,725.

I just purchased a fresh 2011 VW JSW TDI (26K miles) today for $12,175.

I also own a 2015 Passat TDI SE (212 miles), which was the last model year of that line. As you can see, I rarely drive it. It stays hidden and protected.

:cool:

rsio2002

TDI
MK7 TDI
Intro

Hey guys newbie here. Just a short intro my name is Rene I’m from Sunny south Florida. This is my first vw and first tdi but not new into the car scene. I’ve had this car for about a year now. I initially my mk7 TDI as just a daily commuter that gets good mpg but we all now how that goes...

WalkerHD

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
West side Canadian diesel engine tech is new here.

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I will be 40 years old this year. My father is a drilling engineer and I spent my earlier days (18-28 years) building/operating drilling rigs all over Alberta, BC, and SK, Canada. I got sick of living out my my truck and a duffel bag. So I got into Diesel engine mechanics. I mostly work on heavy duty truck and equipment. I don't have any experience with VW tdi as I work mostly on Cummins, Detroit and Cat engines. I just bought a 2012 golf wagon TDI, so I'm here to learn more about VW. Have fun everyone!

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Hey guys newbie here. Just a short intro my name is Rene I’m from Sunny south Florida. This is my first vw and first tdi but not new into the car scene. I’ve had this car for about a year now. I initially my mk7 TDI as just a daily commuter that gets good mpg but we all now how that goes...
[/URL]
Car looks great. More info on the Porsche brakes. I use to run Porsche 993 TT on my Turbo VR6 GTI. Did you buy them as a kit? If so, where did you get them from? Thanks

rsio2002

TDI
MK7 TDI
I got them from RotorLab for about $1100 but I recently put back the stock ones and removed the kit. The spokes on my wheel didn’t clear the calipers so I had to run 10mm spacers which in turn made my wheels poke out and hit the fenders. So my choices are different wheels, wider fenders/ fender work or simply lift the car up higher which I don’t want to do. So I’m currently debating what I should do.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I got them from RotorLab for about $1100 but I recently put back the stock ones and removed the kit. The spokes on my wheel didn’t clear the calipers so I had to run 10mm spacers which in turn made my wheels poke out and hit the fenders. So my choices are different wheels, wider fenders/ fender work or simply lift the car up higher which I don’t want to do. So I’m currently debating what I should do.
That sucks...Thanks for the info. I did check out their site. Did you have to change the brake lines?

rsio2002

TDI
MK7 TDI
It came with the kit pretty straight forward Rob is awesome to deal with you can also DM me if you have any questions it’s almost a bolt on job but you have to be willing to do a bit of work.

Q5Diesel

TDI
Q5
Q5 after fix.

Hi, I'm new to tdi club. :confused::confused:I'm Herman from the Okanagan in Bc.Canada.

We own a 2014 Q5 Diesel since new and absolutely love it.

We have been towing our 19 ft. fiberglass trailer many times and many km.

We had the ''fix'' done two weeks ago and find no difference in power, don't know if the fuel use remained the same, the engine seems a bit noisier when idling but the big difference is the shift pattern. I was used to it shifting up to the highest gear very quickly when on the highway when approaching 80 km./hr. But now it stays in 7 th. and cannot even shift it manually to 8 th.
Soon as I go over 80km/hr it will go to 8th. I do not like this. Is there others that have the same thing happening ? How can I get it back to pre fix settings.
Thank you.

rsio2002

TDI
MK7 TDI
Hi, I'm new to tdi club. :confused::confused:I'm Herman from the Okanagan in Bc.Canada.
We own a 2014 Q5 Diesel since new and absolutely love it.
We have been towing our 19 ft. fiberglass trailer many times and many km.
We had the ''fix'' done two weeks ago and find no difference in power, don't know if the fuel use remained the same, the engine seems a bit noisier when idling but the big difference is the shift pattern. I was used to it shifting up to the highest gear very quickly when on the highway when approaching 80 km./hr. But now it stays in 7 th. and cannot even shift it manually to 8 th.
Soon as I go over 80km/hr it will go to 8th. I do not like this. Is there others that have the same thing happening ? How can I get it back to pre fix settings.
Thank you.
Q5diesel, I bought my tdi post fix and the very first mod I did was tune. either Malone or Kerma both have tunes that can help you get the pep back in your Q5

driver1

TDI
None yet
Hello! I'm looking at moving from a 2005 Armada w/ 205,000+ miles to a 2015 Q7 TDI. It'll be my first diesel vehicle. My only hang up is the expensive maintenance that German cars are known for. But I found one at a good price, I might pull the trigger...

Washington DC Metroplex

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hello! I'm looking at moving from a 2005 Armada w/ 205,000+ miles to a 2015 Q7 TDI. It'll be my first diesel vehicle. My only hang up is the expensive maintenance that German cars are known for. But I found one at a good price, I might pull the trigger...

Washington DC Metroplex
Maybe find a top or even good independent Audi shop near your home and talk to them about what they think of the Q7 TDI?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
~78,000 2009-2016MY Audi, VW & Porsche TDI-CR V6's that were sold in the US

If you are looking for a diesel SUV or car with the V6 TDI there should be more than a few 2009-2016 model years Audi, Porsche & VW TDI-CRs out there for sale if you look hard enough....

There were ~78,000 2009-2016MY Audi, VW & Porsche TDI-CR V6's that were sold before they were pulled because of this bullshirt not a real problem dieselgate BS.... there are today for sale on the market most of the ~78,000 V6 TDI's which were sold from 2009-2016 model years in the US...

approximately 78,000 3.0L TDI V6 diesel engine vehicles(Audi, Porsche, & VW) were sold in the United States.....Not sure about the count of these cars in Canada....

Generation 1 vehicles are approximately 20,000 sold 2009-2012 Model Year Volkswagen and Audi 3.0L TDI V6 vehicles

Generation 2 vehicles are approximately 58,000 sold 2013-2016 Model Year Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche 3.0L TDI V6 vehicles....

~78,000 3.0L TDI V6 diesel engine vehicles that Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche marketed or sold in the United States for Model Years 2009 through 2016.....

-----Generation 1 V6 TDI-CR-----

Model Years 2009-2012 Volkswagen Touareg, Audi Q7

-----Generation 2 V6 TDI-CR-----

Model Years 2013-2016 Volkswagen Touareg..../... Audi Q7

Model Years 2013-2016 Audi A5, A6, A7, A8, A8L, Q5

Model Years 2013-2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

kevind10

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Well, here I am.

After drooling over the thought of getting sub 5.0L/100km (I'm Canadian, eh?) for years, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 VW Jetta TDI.

So now that I'm a TDI owner, I thought I'd join in on the online fun!

Look forward to enjoying the community built around VW.:)

TDI
Seat ibiza fr
Hi all,

I'm the new guy from South UK.

Here is my car with 1.9tdi and a hybrid turbo.
Fully polybushed and coilover a with big brake kit.

Regards,
Aleks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk