04 Passat auto trans was 4 spd

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
I believe what I read was the 04 Passat had a 4 speed auto and there was a to converter lockup somewhere in there that simulated another gear? Please correct me if I’m wrong there.

When in tiptronic mode should I see 4 or 5 “gears” I do ages on the led dash?

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
There’s suppos s to be a question mark in that title. ��

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
5 actual gears. Ok.

So I just picked it up and drove about 100 miles home.

Got it for a good price so the couple issues it has aren’t a huge deal and I will work them out.

The thing runs and shifts well with 2 noteable exceptions.

When shifting into drive and when downshifting our of 5 it clunks hard.

Is this the trans starting to go? Is it just a solenoid that can be replaced? Something else?

277k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Any cels? Possibly just an issue with cracked/worn/torn motor and/or transmission mounts.

If no cels get her up on a lift and check all these mounts and front snub mount and service the transmission. Dropping the pan to see what's inside can reveal a lot if you're not getting any cels. If it's clear of debris id change the filter and refill with proper fluid.

Another source of clunking between gears are worn/torn/cracked control arm bushings and/or ball joints. Each front tire has 4 ball joints. It makes the car handle better than most other fwd cars out there but it also means more stuff to wear out.

It's possible with that many miles all motor/tranny mounts and conrol arms are due for replacement.

mac11

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Passat
Any cels? Possibly just an issue with cracked/worn/torn motor and/or transmission mounts.

If no cels get her up on a lift and check all these mounts and front snub mount and service the transmission. Dropping the pan to see what's inside can reveal a lot if you're not getting any cels. If it's clear of debris id change the filter and refill with proper fluid.

Another source of clunking between gears are worn/torn/cracked control arm bushings and/or ball joints. Each front tire has 4 ball joints. It makes the car handle better than most other fwd cars out there but it also means more stuff to wear out.

It's possible with that many miles all motor/tranny mounts and conrol arms are due for replacement.

No CELS, just a brake pad light. If it were just a mount that would make my life a lot easier. I'll get it on the lift ASAP.

Any ideas why the cruise control acts weird? Or where to start diagnosing it?

It will set every time. Runs on cruse for 10-30 seconds then it clicks off.

Thanks