Debating Coming back to the TDI Club

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
Hello everyone. I was here a few years back when I had a 2013 Jetta TDI. I've been in a Focus Hatchback the last few years, and been looking to offload it. My local VW dealer has a 2014 JSW TDI with the manual, pano roof and 37K miles on the clock. Looks like it has new pads and rotors. It is a CPO, and they just got it in a week or so ago. It's going for a shade under $15K. Is it worth the headache of wondering if the HPFP will grenade? I test drove it tonight, and it drove exactly like I expected, the manual put a smile on my face. Dealer is giving me a little less for my trade than I'd like, but I know my window for trading is closing.

Should I pull the trigger?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yeah go get it. Good price, hpfp is covered by vw extended warrant from engine to fuel pump to in tank pumps even DPF. I have an 2014 JSW DSG and she had CP4 failure 4 times and found out its the wiring for HPFP to somewhere I cant recall, problem has been solved and so far one month of running. She tend to break down a week after being in the shop, every one week she breaks. Now its been a month. My anxiety has gone away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah go get it. Good price, hpfp is covered by vw extended warrant from engine to fuel pump to in tank pumps even DPF. I have an 2014 JSW DSG and she had CP4 failure 4 times and found out its the wiring for HPFP to somewhere I cant recall, problem has been solved and so far one month of running. She tend to break down a week after being in the shop, every one week she breaks. Now its been a month. My anxiety has gone away.

Thanks for the reply. You're in FL too? How's the diesel quality down here? Any stations/brands that I should try to avoid? Or just fill it up at the busier stations?

EffinNewGuy

TDI
2013 JSW
Thanks for the reply. You're in FL too? How's the diesel quality down here? Any stations/brands that I should try to avoid? Or just fill it up at the busier stations?

Sorry, I’m in South Carolina, but the fuel industry tends to operate the same way wherever we are. All stations tend to get their fuel from a handful or refineries servicing particular regions, so the fuel being delivered to retailers is going to pretty much be the same. In my opinion, the quality of the fuel is more negatively affected by the retailers (duration of storage, frequency of delivery/turnover, condition of storage tanks, etc). I believe buying from a high turnover station is a safer bet than avoiding one retailer over another.

In my case, I try to stick to high traffic retailers closer to commercial centers that carry fuel guarantees. I photograph all my fuel receipts into an Evernote file on my phone and keep an excel sheet of fill ups. This way I have a little extra insurance against another HPFP failure. If VW tries to blame bad fuel, I can go to the retailer. Plus it only takes an extra minute once I finish pumping and get my receipt.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

Yup I live in Mount Dora FL. I tend to fill up at Orlando/Kissimmee area as I work there as an videophone technician. It tend to be cheaper there. High traffic there the less risks. I sometimes go to Melbourne... but like what he said, get receipts... I print every one out and stuff it in the glove compartment. My armrest has MDI so no room to put it in there LOL

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Noticed you are looking at one 2014 JSW with pano.... please keep a eye on the drain holes. They tend to get clogged and leak into interior. Keep them clean then you will have no worries.

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup I live in Mount Dora FL. I tend to fill up at Orlando/Kissimmee area as I work there as an videophone technician. It tend to be cheaper there. High traffic there the less risks. I sometimes go to Melbourne... but like what he said, get receipts... I print every one out and stuff it in the glove compartment. My armrest has MDI so no room to put it in there LOL

Good call. I record everything in Fuelly. And I typically fill at Cumberland Farms with their Smartpay app so all of the fill ups are recorded and the fuel type.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Good call. I record everything in Fuelly. And I typically fill at Cumberland Farms with their Smartpay app so all of the fill ups are recorded and the fuel type.

Good idea but best to keep receipts as your life saver because VW are known for blaming you for misfuel but its actually the semi tank driver’s mistakes. I know it wastes trees but saving you like $10k worth (estimate) of work for CP4 replacement and lines to the tank plus labor.

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
Dealer was able to come down on price a little, and I'm closing the deal right now. :D

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Whoohoo! Let us know if you got her :-D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Make sure you sell it before it needs any of the multi thousand dollar repairs the 2009 through 2014 TDI are known for. Pano sunroof? Another worthless option than can cost you a few thousand to repair. If you never open it you might be O.K. if you can live with the rattles.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Welcome back PH. Ignore OR as his responses are always predictably negative.

Nice ride...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Welcome back PH. Ignore OR as his responses are always predictably negative.
Nice ride...
You are right to some extent. 40 some odd years of turning wrenches has made me somewhat jaded.

When VW pulls a stunt like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt-fNNe0OTs to marginalize the Diesel gate fiasco, it's like they were saying we don't care and are assuming our customers are just imbeciles that need to shut up and just drink the Kool-Aid.

I cannot imagine owning a car that by the time the warranty and extended warranty have run out it could develop emission and fuel system problems that can cost thousands of dollars to repair. I never even used the warranty on my 2006 and it still runs great.

IMHO of course.