ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
The DSG moves as well as any manual if you think different it is all in your head. I shifts faster than you could on your best day using both hands and both feet.
It can definitely shift faster, but it can't read my mind or predict the future. That, to me, is one of the biggest advantages of a manual - being able to look/plan ahead and know what gear I want to be in for the upcoming hill/turn/stoplight/whatever. There are plenty of times when an automatic will upshift right as I'm about to want passing power, or downshift right before I ease off the pedal. It may correct quickly, but it still has to correct.

To each his own though. I know I'm in the minority these days, but I've never driven an automatic that was as much fun to drive as my manual Passat. I travel frequently for work and usually have a rental car while I'm away - every time I get back to the airport and drive off in my Passat it puts a smile on my face. The new (to me) DSG still seems like a big step up from my typical rental, but I'm afraid I'll be missing a bit of the magic. Time will tell.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have had 2 DSG ...the 6 Speed DSG in my 2006 Jetta TDI and the 7 Speed DSG in my 2013 Jetta Hybrid like them! ....still ended up going back to a 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6 Speed Manual......now I have a 2014 BMW 328D with and 8 Speed Automatic and XDrive and it is heavier and faster and Gets the same mileage as the Jetta does....have fun!

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have had 2 DSG ...the 6 Speed DSG in my 2006 Jetta TDI and the 7 Speed DSG in my 2013 Jetta Hybrid like them!
Well then all the questions you asked me should have been already known. eh? Where were you coming from when you asked if I could downshift or upshift? :confused:
Penis flexing with your BMW............ have fun.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Well then all the questions you asked me should have been already known. eh? Where were you coming from when you asked if I could downshift or upshift? :confused:
Penis flexing with your BMW............ have fun.
When you get to my age you have to have sometime to replace “it” I knew you could downshift just not skip shift my mistake..... I just drive the Jetta when I need a Stick shift fix and the BMW is a truly nice car and it is nearly 4 years old....everything is overpriced though!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
When you get to my age you have to have sometime to replace “it” I knew you could downshift just not skip shift my mistake..... I just drive the Jetta when I need a Stick shift fix and the BMW is a truly nice car and it is nearly 4 years old....everything is overpriced though!
To skip shift just bump the shift lever twice. One hand no feet:rolleyes: Still wanna race?
Many complain about the cost of parts and service with a TDI.....well buy a bemer and find out about cost. I used to drive Mercedes....talk about expensive and overpriced vs value.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My Jetta is going in for the Phase 2 Fix on Saturday then it has a real long warranty....I bought it new and it was requested for me.... It is a great car.... love the EA288! I still do most of the maintenance on it....I got an extended Maintenance on the BMW so I am good for a few years

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
. . . now I have a 2014 BMW 328D with and 8 Speed Automatic and XDrive and it is heavier and faster and Gets the same mileage as the Jetta does....have fun!
How do you like the 328d performance?

I've considered the 328d as a replacement. I've owned three 3 Series over the last 20 years or so. I just have a hard time justifying the cost. A 2014 CPO 328d with at least 30k - 40k miles is going to run low $20's and up. I can get a CPO 2015 Jetta TDI with under 25k miles for something in the $16-17k range, and have a much better warranty. I think of the Jetta TDI as 90% as much fun as a BMW at half the cost.

I'm also thinking about taking the ~$6k I'm going to be netting with the BB and putting it toward an older Porsche Boxster with very low miles as a fun Sunday car, which I can probably get for about $12-14k.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
Besides Nav, what is the difference between the SE and SEL on the 2015?
Fake wood panels (SEL) vs. fake metal panels (SE). Some SEs have sunroof, but not all, whereas I believe all SELs have sunroof. SELs usually have chrome trim. Bigger screen. Keyless ignition (though I've also seen some SEs with that). SELs have auto-unlocking door handles (not sure of the name, but it senses your thumb and unlocks if the key is within a couple of feet - like in your pocket). Some SELs have 18s, and 17s are standard on SEs. There may be more - you could find it all pretty easily on Edmunds.com or similar sites. Since you were responding to a post about MTs, I'll also note that SELs do not come with MT. You have to drop to a more base-model SE for that. (Of course, base-model for a TDI is still a couple steps up from base-model TSI.)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
SEL’s come standard with DSG, RNS-510 Navigation, sunroof, chrome trim on doors and rear bumper, nterior wood panels, KESSY (Keyless Entry and Start SYstem), 18” wheels, Dynamica (faux alcantara) seat inserts, Fender audio system, fog lights, full power driver and passenger seats, and dual zone climatronic.

SE’s came standard with manual trans, RCD-510 radio “aluminum” interior trim, 17” wheels, leatherette seats, climatic A/C, and only drivers side power seat.

18” wheels, DSG, navigation, sunroof, and fog lights were all available options in different packages.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Thanks, Fix & Lincoln, that's helpful. I'll check Edmunds and other sites for more details.

anotherTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG, 2014 JSW TDI DSG
My wife wants to get back into a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. We have been looking pretty hard in the Tampa/St Pete area. The CarfaxX on 99 percent of these cars show they went to Michigan for storage and were then auctioned all over the US.

What we have been noticing is a lot of water staining in the carpeting, seats and seat belts. The stains on the carpet are in a level-line as if the cars have been flooded at some point. The brakes and wheels seem to have a lot of corrosion.

It has come to our attention that cars stored in Michigan sat in 12-14 inches frozen water over the winter. Carfax mentions nothing about water damage.

I have been forewarned by a reliable source to avoid any buy back that came out of Michigan and any NE sites.

Probably old news but in case you have not heard of it or seen it first hand, be careful.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I purchased 2 of 2015 SportWagens.
Both were stored at Michigan at some point, than repurchased,
than shortly after that wrecked and ended up at an insurance auction.
Both have stage 1 fix done, sticker under the hood and states online.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to collect second portion of the restitution once the cars are rebuilt and fix 2 is done?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm not sure the cars themselves ever went to Michigan. The titles appeared to have all be transferred to the corporate office. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to transport all these cars there to only turn around and auction them all over the country.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure the cars themselves ever went to Michigan. The titles appeared to have all be transferred to the corporate office. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to transport all these cars there to only turn around and auction them all over the country.
Yes. VW isn't crazy. The Michigan registrations are just paperwork during the buyback process. They mostly stay within a short distance of where they were turned back in (though some DO wind up traveling across country after getting auctioned to a dealership).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I bought my 2015 GSW in LA and it spent its entire life in San Diego.

I helped my friend buy his 2015 Golf from AZ and it also had all its service records a few hundred miles from San Diego.

Those are my only direct experiences with this but do indicate either a fantastic coincidence or these vehicles did stay in the general region they originated from within.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Same here.

Mine was originally registered in Murrieta Ca. After the buyback, it was titled in Michigan. But then sold to me in Las Vegas.

I highly doubt it ever actually went to michigan. It was probably stored in the YUGE storage facility in Victorville, Ca.

Jester

Veteran Member
TDI
Bought My 2015 Jetta TDI back in February with 15k miles out of FL. Just had the 2nd stage of recall done and it actually improve my MPGs slightly, especially in town. Was getting about 37mpg combined and it is up to 40mpgs now. Highway is 45-50mpgs depending on speed and other factors. Hard to trade in my 06 but it had too many things to repair and needed to have tranny fixed.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I'm interested in purchasing a 2015 Passat with the six speed manual, light colored v-tex leatherette interior in an exterior color other than white or black. Getting one from a local VW dealer with a CPO would be nice if it didn't raise the cost substantially. Cost is an issue as I am on social security and thus a budget.

Unless I am mistaken I believe this limits me to the SE models as I seem to see only DSG models in the SEL trim.

I need to purchase it from a franchised dealer to keep my lender happy.

I seem to be having difficulties getting the used sales staff at the nearby VW dealers to look beyond the cars they have on the lot. What specifically is the VW database they can check for the inventory? Can I access it myself and pass possible VINs to them to consider requesting?

Dave

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're out there. You need to find a dealer who's willing to shop the auction for you.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
They're out there. You need to find a dealer who's willing to shop the auction for you.
How willing are they in general to do so? Will they do so purely on spec, or would a refundable credit card hold be expected? If I was after a CPO would that increase the hold, given the possibility that a car might not qualify and require another try?

Checking on VW's site I see 7 VW dealers in my general area, how likely is it that at least one will be willing? Who should I be contacting at the dealer? The internet sales manager, if they have one? The used car sales manager? Higher up the chain?

Dave

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I'm interested in purchasing a 2015 Passat with the six speed manual, light colored v-tex leatherette interior in an exterior color other than white or black. Getting one from a local VW dealer with a CPO would be nice if it didn't raise the cost substantially. Cost is an issue as I am on social security and thus a budget.

Unless I am mistaken I believe this limits me to the SE models as I seem to see only DSG models in the SEL trim.

I need to purchase it from a franchised dealer to keep my lender happy.

I seem to be having difficulties getting the used sales staff at the nearby VW dealers to look beyond the cars they have on the lot. What specifically is the VW database they can check for the inventory? Can I access it myself and pass possible VINs to them to consider requesting?

Dave
The Manual Passats with Manual Transmission only come in SE level of trim but it will be very hard to find one.....Good Luck did find one in Fairfax 27k miles Beige Beige interior $14500K

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The cars here (raleigh, nc) were stored in baltimore, md or virginia. But all were titled in michigan. My passat stayed in nc, but shows a michigan title.
My wife wants to get back into a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. We have been looking pretty hard in the Tampa/St Pete area. The CarfaxX on 99 percent of these cars show they went to Michigan for storage and were then auctioned all over the US.

What we have been noticing is a lot of water staining in the carpeting, seats and seat belts. The stains on the carpet are in a level-line as if the cars have been flooded at some point. The brakes and wheels seem to have a lot of corrosion.

It has come to our attention that cars stored in Michigan sat in 12-14 inches frozen water over the winter. Carfax mentions nothing about water damage.

I have been forewarned by a reliable source to avoid any buy back that came out of Michigan and any NE sites.

Probably old news but in case you have not heard of it or seen it first hand, be careful.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All bought back cars had titles processed at VW Credit in Michigan. The cars didn't go to Michigan, just the paperwork.

And dealers are buying cars at auction for resale from all over the country. I looked at a '15 Passat here in MA that had come from Colorado.