2016 Touareg Gas vs TDI questions

radef

Veteran Member
TDI
16 Touareg Executive TDI, 06 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Hey all,

I’ve been driving a 2005 V8 Touareg for over ten years. Off-road gray with teak interior. It’s been a great vehicle. I’m looking to replace it with a 2016 or 2017, gas or TDI.

There’s no TDIs around me to test drive. So I’m looking for some advice from those who have driven both. In particular, I’m wanting to know how the 2016 TDI drives especially after the dieselgate recall has been performed.

I thought I’d find some posts on this topic - but have struck out. Let me know your thoughts or send me a link to a good discussion.

As a side, I had a 98 Jetta TDI before my current Touareg. I drove it for over 200k miles - loved the TDI in it. Also had an 06 Jetta TDI that was a tad underwhelming. So I've seen it go either way.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I really didn't notice much difference on our T3 Toureg after the fix. I'm not the primary driver of the vehicle but it feels pretty similar to me. Adblue use went up and mileage seemed to drop by 1-2 MPG, though I don't track tanks anywhere to be sure.

Anecdotally, I've heard that the V6 gasser is underwhelming after driving a TDI. Our good friend sold back her 2012 TDI and replaced it with 2016 gasser. She misses the diesel torque. I haven't even heard her mention mileage, just the lack of low end push. I've never driven her Treg, so I can't comment. I can say, that I don't care for driving SUV's very much, but the Treg TDI is kind of fun just because of the seat of the pants feel of accelerating such a big heavy vehicle so effortlessly.

Personally, we'd have zero interest in the Touareg without the TDI option. I think most consumers agree and they go buy the Atlas instead.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
The Touareg TDI is a fantastic vehicle. The v6 gas version, not so much. The engine makes the whole thing special.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
The Touareg TDI is a fantastic vehicle. The v6 gas version, not so much. The engine makes the whole thing special.
I had the opportunity to test drive on the same day:

2017 Touareg V6 3.6L (gasser) R-line
2016 Touareg V6 3.0L TDI Execline

Ran both routes the same - felt the gasser had to work harder to do what I did in the TDI.

I bought the 2016 V6 3.0L TDI Execline (equivalent to the US Lux) when I got back to the dealership.

I really felt the TDI was SO much better but perhaps I'm biased toward the TDI.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Simply , apples and oranges, TDI does everything better,sorry to make it so stark. Mileage,towing, torque etc. There are many gassers that compare to TREG v-6 gassers,not so much in the TDI area.

I guess you can say I'm a fan of the TDI , wish they were still available.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your 2005's gas V8 engine is probably the best engine VAG ever offered in any T'reg here, even if it is a bit thirsty. It is still a very good engine.

I would not want a VR6 in anything, ever, especially pushing a portly beast like a T'reg around. If you want a new(er) one, the TDI is probably the best choice. Even the newer V8s are not as good as the older ones.

n18054

TDI
2014 toureg tri executive
2014 tdi

I have a 2014 Touareg TDI for sale if you are interested...R-Line, all the bells and whistles, Thule racks and new Michelins...Asking 23,500 with 82,000 miles.

Nicholas
910-512-4646
North Carolina

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
The TDI is much better.

I also own an A6 TDI that I brought in for re-call the other. They lent me an A6 with the 3.0T (Supercharged) It was also underwhelming... I actually popped the hood as I thought it was the 2.0T 4 banger due to it's lack of noise and power.
At the office we have a new S4 (354hp) Although powerful it lacks the low end torque of the TDI.

radef

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, everyone. Good insights and opinions.

I'm focusing my Touareg replacement hunt on a TDI.

radef

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm back in the TDI Club! I picked up a 2016 Touareg TDI Executive yesterday (and put 600 miles on it driving it home). I'm very pleased - and glad I went this route.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
I had the opportunity to test drive on the same day:
2017 Touareg V6 3.6L (gasser) R-line
2016 Touareg V6 3.0L TDI Execline
Ran both routes the same - felt the gasser had to work harder to do what I did in the TDI.
I bought the 2016 V6 3.0L TDI Execline (equivalent to the US Lux) when I got back to the dealership.
I really felt the TDI was SO much better but perhaps I'm biased toward the TDI.
Guiltyone is that a summer mileage combined on your Toureg? (10.2litres/100km?) and is it post dieselgate fix? My Passat fuel consumption increases about 1/2 litre per 100km in the winter. What do you figure you use Adblue wise between services? I’m thinking of buying a tdi Toureg.
Steve

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Guiltyone is that a summer mileage combined on your Toureg? (10.2litres/100km?) and is it post dieselgate fix? My Passat fuel consumption increases about 1/2 litre per 100km in the winter. What do you figure you use Adblue wise between services? I’m thinking of buying a tdi Toureg.
Steve
This is the first winter with my 2016 Touareg. even though it is a 2016 - I did not buy it until April of 2018.

I drove it off the lot with 125km on the odometer. I suppose it was put in storage when the dealership was told not to sell during Dieselgate.

I bought with the approved fix and feel there is no detrimental effect (maybe more use of AdBlue??). I find I'm putting in 10L of AdBlue every 8000km.

My Fuelly sig is current and the graphs shows a slight increase in fuel use during the cold months. It has dropped down well below -38*c and I still have no issues with the starting and driving.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Good thread... looking at a 16 or 17 Treg now. Will probably get the gasser since the TDI is hard to find.