Passat or Touareg?

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Looking like we're going to have to make a concession to hubby's back and increasingly bad left hip and own one vehicle that's an automatic. Passat is definitely cushy and very comfy to ride in, however the T'reg is easier to get in/out of because the seats are pretty much "butt level".

So, debate the merits of a newer Passat and a Touareg where mechanicals are concerned.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Touareg. Have a local upholstery shop ass some memory foam to the seat. Or get a slip over that's plush.
I'm assuming your referring to 2014 or 15? Tasters choose really. All your deciding is trading one problem for another. Not that there are more problems with one over the other. For what your going for, I'd go for easy of egress. I have and will always have chronic hit or miss back issues, sometimes so had I cant even walk. Long story. I'd much rather have the ease of entry egress as I can get used to a seat.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
I've found VW seats, across the board, to be the most comfortable around. Our Jetta is a bit narrow for me, but that's not the seat's fault. . .

Mechanical soundness is going to be major, being as he'll be able to do less and less wrenching of any kind in the coming years.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I've found VW seats, across the board, to be the most comfortable around. Our Jetta is a bit narrow for me, but that's not the seat's fault. . .

Mechanical soundness is going to be major, being as he'll be able to do less and less wrenching of any kind in the coming years.
In that case I suggest you go buy a 2019 or 20 Subaru and trade it in every 5 years. My dad has been doing this, pays like 312 a month for payments on a 6 year term, trade ins have been about 3/4 total buy cost, about 10,000. No maintenance other than the survice that subarus does with the purchase. They do 100% of it for the purchase price. It's a bit more than you would spend due to interest and the trade in depreciation, but not having to do the work and know you have the new equipment like lane assist and adaptive cruise control and what not, I think is worth the cost in the end for people who need it. My foks need it bad. There getting old and cant fuss with not having a reliable car.
Food for thought.
Subarues keep there value best so that's why I suggest it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru are generraly more reliable, low maintenance. The Gen.3 CR-V is very trouble free, cheap, easy in and out, high seat.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI

you clearly have never sat in a lexus or Porsche

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Audi Q5. Comfortable. Good performance. Automatic. 4K towing if that’s important.

I’ve got a bad back and wrecked knee. Getting in and out is easy. It wasn’t so easy in my 13 Passat....AND the seats weren’t very comfortable.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I know you only see the doom and gloom on here, but from everything I've read on here there is no way on gods green earth I'd own a touareg.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'd second "there is no way on gods green earth I'd own a touareg." after watching a 'The Fast Lane' video on YouTube. I really wanted one but don't have deep pockets for that crap.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
A Touareg is not for everybody, just like any vehicle that could be listed. We're on our 2nd one and have been very satisfied. They've both been reliable, comfortable, great vehicles with just over 200k miles, so far, combined on them. The maintenance costs have been consistent with what it is, a premium vehicle (but without the premium vehicle badge). A Passat is a very nice vehicle, but the Touareg is at the top of the VW line, by quite a bit. A problem can occur in any situation where one dives in uninformed. For *us* the comfort, versatility and fuel efficiency were the factors that made us first try one out. We haven't been disappointed with our choice.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Premium"
Literally has not risen past the lower 2/3s of the JD power associates ranking per 100 problems for the last 2 decades.
It's not even close to the industry standards.
Still if it's a very you want then either of them are a fine example of low tier problematic vehicles.