Monsoon Blues

rmorgan

Veteran Member
I came out to take a quick spin in my '02 Golf this morning, went to turn the radio on to listen to the ball game, and all I got was static. I checked the dial, it was on AM 1000, which is the default setting, and definatley not 620 who, by the way, was broadcasting the game.

Interestingly enough, all of my preset station buttons were also set to AM 1000. Did someone break into my car overnight and change my settings, or, is there a known issue with the Monsoon forgetting them? Do I have a short, and if I do, how come I didn't have to enter the code to get the radio working? MaryP, I am sure will set me straight.

Thanks,

Ryan Morgan
Tempe, AZ

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
Hah, You got me! I haven't heard of this problem, but you may be having the same issue as the "dead radio".

http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=001867;p=

From what I understand, you should never have to reset your radio code as it is set specifically for your car. Only your car can read the code. If someone rips off your HU, it will not work in another VW or any other car unless they have the code. Even if your battery dies, when you first put in a new one, the radio resets itself again. I am not 100% about all this, but it's what I have gleened off posts for the most part.

I have had the "dead radio", but only once. If it happens again---I'm off to the dealer for a new HU!