Will a gt22v turbo fit an 2001 ALH golf 1.9

TaylorM

TDI
2001 1.9 golf 75k miles
Will a gt22v turbo fit my 2001 ALH golf?? A friend of mine who is a turbo diesel mechanic is selling it he says it has the same flange and its just like a vnt22 he says it should fit but he said to ask on the forums because he wants to see if anyone else knows to make sure. He said to ask if i would need a better intercooler too or will the stock one work??

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Chances are its the weird 3 bolt flange that Mercedes uses. Get a new exhaust manifold, make an adapter plate.

If you still have the stock intercooler, why are you even thinking about a gt22? I suppose you could do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

TorqueRules

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy ALH 1.9TDI
If your gt22v is as what killerjetta mention from Merc..(provided there is only 1 gt22v use)

It can be done.I'm also using it on ALH..Custom manifold, 3" out from turbo..

There are a few other forumers here that had used b4 this Gt22v from Merc, maybe some are still using it(i guess).Well, as least i'm.

But read from somewhere it's not the best gt22v out in the market..

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
You also have gt22 on VW bus T4 with AXG 5cylinder engine. But it only has 52mm compressor like vnt20.

You can equippe gt with 56mm compressor from per example BMW gt2556v

Greets, Alex

TorqueRules

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy ALH 1.9TDI
killerjetta said:
It probably isn't the best turbo, but for $200 I'm not complaining.
$200/-!!!!! WOW...

Even if its USD/Euro/Pound/Kuwait Dollars..watever currency..
Still cheaper then what i spent on mine..:eek:
Arrggghhh!!!!!:(:mad::(

TorqueRules

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy ALH 1.9TDI
majesty78 said:
You also have gt22 on VW bus T4 with AXG 5cylinder engine. But it only has 52mm compressor like vnt20.

You can equippe gt with 56mm compressor from per example BMW gt2556v

Greets, Alex
Me? Mine is oem gt2256v from sprinter IIRC.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=222958

Only do not know which gt22v, TaylorM is using.
Mayb its the Alfa Romeo's Or the BMW's ..hehehe

EDITED: After reading again, it seems that its saying Taylor might be using gt22 from vw?
*Can't really think when not really sober from those colour liquid.*

Last edited:

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
IIRC the one I got is the sprinter version. GT2256v. To me, this turbo is the perfect size. With R520s, RC4, and a 10mm pump there is almost no smoke. Plus, it'll spool to 20psi by 2000 rpm.

And ya, I got it really cheap. Its amazing what can be found on Ebay.

TorqueRules

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy ALH 1.9TDI
killerjetta said:
IIRC the one I got is the sprinter version. GT2256v. To me, this turbo is the perfect size. With R520s, RC4, and a 10mm pump there is almost no smoke. Plus, it'll spool to 20psi by 2000 rpm.
Hmm, so i assume mine should be the same turbo as yours,how's the EMP and do you know how much will be the max substainable boost?
Edited:I seen my friends go till 34psi on it..wondering if it will give way..

killerjetta said:
And ya, I got it really cheap. Its amazing what can be found on Ebay.
I'm gonna bang wall later..lol:D

Last edited:

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
EMP?

I don't know about max boost but I normally run 25 max, just because there isn't enough fuel to justify more. Over the summer I have a 11mm pump to throw in so we'll see how she does with the extra fuel. A reflash to RC5 or 6 couldn't hurt either haha.

What's awesome is my cruising EGTs at 85mph are about 500-550 Fahrenheit...I've even seen 450ish on cold days.

TaylorM

TDI
2001 1.9 golf 75k miles
ya i never bought that turbo but i put in bigger injectors and i have an 11mm pump. Id like to put in a bigger turbo eventually. I just dont know what to go with. Im a poor student i need something thats not in the 1000$ range