Losing Power...

k761110e

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hello all,
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI. Within the past 2 days, it has gone from running great with all the power it ever had to having to shift into 3rd to get up a smallish sized hill.

We have changed the fuel filter and air filter but it is still the same. I called a garage that is "the VW doctor" who we have dealt with in the past and they immediately said my intake was coked full. After I told him this happened in a 2 day period he said it wouldn't be that. He said to check the snow screen in the air filter snout and it is clear. Other than that he didn't know without seeing the car. I don't really have the money to take it for him to tell me it is something simple so I was wondering if any of you would have any other ideas to check before taking it to the garage?

I should also mention that the check engine light is on but it has been on since the day I bought the car. The dealer read the code but it was pertaining to the cold start injector but they said my car isn't suppose to even have a cold start injector. I was told not to worry about the light unless it started blinking. It sounded fishy to me but i have been running the car for over 2 years now like that and haven't had a problem.

What to do next? Thanks!

k761110e

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Also wanted to mention that after taking the intercooler/EGR hose off, there seems to be an oily coat on the EGR. Is this normal? Sorry, I am just a girl trying to figure out what is up with her car.

bogeymon01

TDI
2002 Beetle
Try the MAF. Mass Airflow Sensor. You can just unplug it and see if the car power improves. If the power does not improve then it is not the MAF.

I had a simlar problem and it was the MAF.