1Z Engine rebuild: The final Chapter

dzl_nator

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI
After 30 days and $2000 I have completed my rebuild. I rebuilt my engine because of serious "banging" in the engine which sounded just like a dead lifter.

The problem was a galled #3 piston. I bought a new piston and honed it to fit. The turbo and head was rebuilt. New hoses, rings, bearings, and seals were also added. I purchased silicon tubing from McMaster -Carr based on the threads of this forum. Looks nice.

I balanced the rods and pistons to 0.1 gram difference after they were cleaned.

I cleaned the intake with a combination of Castrol SuperClean and a power washer. (Also powerwashed my thumb) Afterward I built a blocking plate and closed off the EGR about 50%. Previously I had set the EGR duty cycle to about 50% with Vag-com. New TB and adjuster installed. This was very surprising because the timing was dead on when checked afterward with Vag-com.

The biggest hassle I had was rusty bolts. In two different places I spent hours drilling and rethreading bad bolts out of the motor mount and radiator mount. It was so bad that I had to cut the exhaust pipe in front of the flex joint to remove the engine. Then I had to pay to have it rewelded. All the bolts on the exhaust manifold were completely burned away.

The two biggest rewards have been the absence of noise from the serpentine belt, and the absence of noise from the engine. I purchased a new crankshaft pulley and this eliminated all belt noise and chirping. Thank you TDI-clubbers for the tip. Secondly, all my piston "banging" is gone. The engine has gobs of power, but for now, I am breaking it in slowly.

I think $2000 is quite high for a rebuild. (no injector work needed as this was done about 1 year ago), but I paid, $350 for the slightly oversized piston. (a real blessing since I was able to hone the scratches out of the bore and now have new clearance). I paid $335 for the turbo overhaul, $200 for the head rebuild, and about $200 for the hoses!!! Most parts came through a dealer contact for jobber cost.

So, I don't have a new engine, but it will do for now. What would I do differently? I would get a new short block. if I wanted absolutely a new engine. You see, the other three bores are not new condition.

Thanks TDI-club for all the help on these forums. I have learned alot, and applied alot to the job at hand.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
$200 for a head job is CHEAP.

dzlnator

TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
1Z Rebuild: Cheap head work

jasonTDI said:
$200 for a head job is CHEAP.
That $200.00 was really for machine work only. I provided the guides, lifters, and seals.

They installed guides, cleaned the head, and machined it 0.005. I know these are not supposed to be machined, however, there was a burned spot between #2 and #3 where I had a slight coolant leak. They also shortened the valves to get the proper stem height to the lifters.

Steve at O'Reillys machine shop said that the local dealer was providing heads for repair. He said some of the ALH heads were almost completely plugged up. They had to send them out for cleaning.

My head have very little buildup in it. I suppose that was because it was burning so much oil and water?