Intake manifold gunk

BoboBear

TDI
Jetta TDI-PD 2005
I decide to see how much carbon has accumulated on my the EGR valve, a 2005 TDI-PD. I had installed the Provent CCV filter at 4600 miles, now the car has 7800 miles. As expected the EGR valve had a thin layer of black carbon. After cleaning it up I checked out the intake manifold by looking down the hole where the EGR valve goes. Also as expected there was a thin layer of matte black carbon. The carbon looked dry but I then pressed my finger onto the manifold wall and I found out the carbon was moist. I was expecting the carbon to be dry, like what I found on the EGR valve. I know the Provent filter is working well as the clear tubes exiting from the Provent are oil free. At the time I probably should have tried to determine if the moisture was water or oil based. It was just black goo. So any ideas why it was moist in there? I'm beginning to think the Provent CCV filter is not going to prevent intake manifold clogging.

Fait_pour_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Out of TDI still Dubbin
Hopefully the oily film is leftover from the first 4600 miles.Keep a close watch,I just installed my ProVent 2000kms ago.

BoboBear

TDI
Jetta TDI-PD 2005
Leftover oil from the first 4600 miles seems like a good explanation to me. But I did installed the Provent last Thanksgiving, over 3 months ago.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My PD Passat is well on its way to being gunked up at 20k

It seemed most concentrated right at the EGR valve itself, however. In fact, judging by the looks of it, I'd say the valve will gunk itself shut long before the intake actually gets gunked up. Perhaps that is why it is designed to slide out so easily on the PD...for cleaning???

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Is it possibler the moisture is oil left over in the intercooler? I guess the other possibilities are H20 from the CCV or oil from the turbo.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Has anyone cleaned their intake right before they installed the Provent...I'm on the way to getting one and will probably do a cleaning as a baseline if no one has...I would guess that if my old A3, which is known to have more blow-by than the newer ones, stays clean after that, it should be somewhat conclusive...dang I'll need to clean the i/c, too...hey once you clean intake and i/c, there should be no more residue oil, right? Nothing of consequence from the turbo, etc?

TDI66

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI 5spd
Bobobear. Do you drive it like you stole it? Do you get the rpm's up on a regular basis? STD or Auto? Just curious because I just got a 2005 Jetta TDI 5-spd a week ago and I'm following pretty closely what the "pros" are saying on this board about driving it, breaking it in etc. Drive it like you stole it!