www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 1st, 2017, 06:22   #91
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?

no damage - we barely ran it...actually with the gauge hooked up you can see that with the hole unplugged the engine still builds pressure (we saw about 10+psi) but not up to spec...I'm excited to button everything up and get her on the road this weekend...
nitec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:30   #92
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

What oil pressure do you have now that the hole is plugged?

Did you fix it through the oil filter adapter or pull the pan?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:44   #93
nitec

pulled the pan - it was a little extra work but figured it was worth making sure we didn't do any other bubus...

I wasn't there when my dad did it but he said he saw the 60psi relief valve pressure and it was going down as it was warming up...the gauge setup was a little questionable so I`ll actually get a proper T and fit in a permanent gauge for future use...
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:25   #94
nitec

buttoned everything up and drove the car yesterday runs well and pulls strong - going to take it in for the exhaust this week and do the brakes and hopefully that's it for a while...

while I'm doing that I'm troubleshooting excessive air in the return lines right now - the car dies every now and then (what I thought was perhaps crank sensor related) so we'll look possibly swapping the tandem pump...I've got a clean air free supply feed from the lift pump and lots of air in the return so something's up...either the tandem pump is having some sort of blow by into the return or the injectors O-rings need to be replaced but the way it behaves it points to the tandem pump...we managed to get a nice clean return yesterday after a restart, took it for a drive and came back to the same air situation...

minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things really - the car drives really nice...no shaking, no strange noises, clutch engages great
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:36   #95
nitec

she drives....

https://youtu.be/L5o-_WxuvZk

but I`m still dealing with this nonsense...

this is after the engine shuts down when warm

https://youtu.be/1T8q6ul87Ns

https://youtu.be/vTwgSqxqF8Y

I swapped the tandem pump but it's the same thing...I guess I`m pulling the injectors out...I have zero air from the lift pump and copious amounts in the return line...they come up when the engine warms up - when cold I can get it to clear up...this results in shutdowns at idle when warm...also once it shuts off it has a hard time starting

any thoughts other than injector O-rings?
Old August 22nd, 2017, 03:50   #96
nitec

sigh....been dealing with this hot shut off for a week now...swapped in 3 tandem pumps and finally bought a new one to realize it doesn't fix the problem...changed the injector seals as well but there was no visible damage on them....

basically car starts first time everytime when cold...runs well, revs fine etc....when it warms up in gets air in the line and if I`m driving it shuts off and has a really hard time starting after...it's clearly temperature related but I didn't think the fuel temp sensor really controls that much...I`ll have to play with that now - is it possible the diesel gets really hot and the ECU pulls the timing or something? there's no cooler in the return line but I've been running my Audi without one for a year now and no issues...
Old August 26th, 2017, 17:48   #97
nitec

finished...

https://youtu.be/SdyPFKNm2qA

stock tune acceleration

https://youtu.be/2rKEa00yRG8

W8 transmission gearing

https://youtu.be/o17heWCUNDE

Left to do short term:
- rear calipers
- exhaust
- tune (Fuel pump code delete, cruise control, mapping)
- glow plug wires
- block heater

Left to do long term:
- new camshaft/lifters (just in case)
- AC (relay install)

First impressions:

clutch works great - zero vibrations, no extra noises of any sort...the car drives like my stock MK4...it's very capable for the extra added weight of the 4motion...a tune will obviously make it a lot more fun but I could drive it like this all day

Project wise - the swap was VERY straight forward with zero custom work...obviously I was very lucky to have a 6spd manual to start with...the harness was plug and play and other than turning the IMMO off, the ECU worked straight forward...one thing I did wrong was giving away the BHW rad support and AC stuff because I expected to use the W8 setup - that didn't work...in the future I`ll make sure to keep everything until I`m all done...I wouldn't hesitate to do this again any day...
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:24   #98
smelly621
Veteran Member

Did you figure out the hot shut-off issue? Curious to know what was causing it.
smelly621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:48   #99
nitec

it appears to have been gasoline left over in the tank...we drained everything up but perhaps there was some that got trapped in the various compartments of the 4mo tank so what we think was happening is it was boiling/evaporating when the fuel temps raised sufficiently which would explain all the air in the fuel lines with new injector seals and brand new fuel pump...we drained the tank again, filled it up again and the issue disappeared....quite strange to be honest - wasted A LOT of time trying to diagnose this