www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old July 30th, 2017, 13:26   #31
da.hs

If you wanted something as "remote north" as the Alaska Highway, much less busy and closer.. you could head north from Saskatoon for a day or so. Paved as far as La Ronge, about 4 hours from Saskatoon. Then around 10-12 hours on gravel to Stony Rapids - not quite the Arctic Circle but within a quad ride (I think 80km) to the NWT border, 60'
da.hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 14:49   #32
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

Da.hs, from Valley View, we've been up to Peace River and beyond .......... all the way to Hay River on the south shore of the Great Slave Lake then around to the north side to Yellowknife. We did that in 1993.

So, I would really like to go on up to Valley View (nice campground there) and then do a day trip up to Peace River and return. It is an awesome sight approaching the area from the south as I remember.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 15:03   #33
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Peace River is a neat town as I have been there a few times (on business). Why not head to Norman Wells if you want a real driving adventure? I spent a week there once (and only once).

Good luck getting back home Andy!
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 17:43   #34
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Wow! Well, Import Auto Service got 'er all fixed-up today! Good clutch pedal a little above 2/3s where it ought to be. I drove it a considerable amount in downtown Saskatoon hitting the traffic lights, etc., with zero shifting issues.

So, a coin toss says we head south tomorrow.

I'm sorry this Road Trip never materialized as we had expected. Of course, there would be no problem to go on but there are things on the other side of this trip that we want to do. Thus, the coin toss results is probably for the best!

We do plan to take in the Badlands in South Dakota and I will post a few photos later!
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
Old July 31st, 2017, 20:40   #35
jmodge
Veteran Member

Bandlands are cool, been out there during a hunting trip to Greybull, Wyoming. We stopped on the side of the road and heard a horse whinney from out in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine crossing that stuff in a horse drawn wagon.
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:55   #36
WooK

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

A few weeks ago I did a road trip from southern california to boise, idaho and back. Took interstate 15 through nevada to 93 all the way up to idaho. Total miles is about 1,900. It was a meditating drive since there is nothing from las vegas to boise. I was told there could be buffalo citing but only saw horses and cows.
WooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 09:18   #37
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
Bandlands are cool, been out there during a hunting trip to Greybull, Wyoming. We stopped on the side of the road and heard a horse whinney from out in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine crossing that stuff in a horse drawn wagon.
Neither could most of them. They stayed along the Platte River in Nebraska for several reasons. The main one being a good water source. Secondary is that the Platte runs the length of the state without much deviation to the North or South. out in the Sandhills (Western NE) there are still visible wagon tracks.
Old August 9th, 2017, 06:22   #38
jmodge
Veteran Member

Andy, I see you must be ok by the reply to my other thread. Hope all is well and you are having fun
Old August 9th, 2017, 16:12   #39
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Yeah, we did a 997 mile day on the last one...'bout 18 hours!

Ironically, more troubles ........LOL.

Friday morning, the weather was nice and cool. So, I did not turn on the air until around 11:00 am while sitting at a filling station. I turned it on for the dogs while I was in the store hitting the facilities, etc. When I come back out, no AC.

Some time on Thursday the nut that holds the AC Clutch must have backed-off as we did have air when I cut the engine off. Then, Friday morning driving down I-35 (or was it I-29) north of Kansas City the clutch-face must have fell off.

Anyway, I slapped on the clutch face from a spare... Then, I turned the AC full down on Temp so the clutch would stay engaged and not bounce off ... worked just fine!

Dang, I distinctly remember torqueing the nut on the AC Clutch!....LOL
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:16   #40
jmodge
Veteran Member

Your luck sounds like mine, not always good, but good enough