Gonna miss you Touareg say hello 7 seater Tiguans

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I like our Touareg. But it is kind of a giant vehicle to only have 5-seats. I don't see how it had a place in the lineup between the Atlas and the Tiggy. And with now TDI option to set it apart it doesn't have much appeal. I didn't realize that sales were that low or that the Atlas was selling so well. I've only seen 1 or 2 Atlases out in the wild.

I agree that a 7-steat Tiguan seems like its going to be tight inside to say the least.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
A 7-seat Tiguan? Maybe for those 'lil folks in the Wizard of Oz....

And there we have
The VW Tiguan,
For an SUV
It sure ain't a biguan.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It appears that most people who had enough coin to buy a Touareg, spent the extra coin for the Audi or Porsche badge ... and you still can.
Yeah fair point. I probably see 10 cayenne and q7s before I see a Touareg . I'm obviously on the lookout now too.

A 7-seat Tiguan? Maybe for those 'lil folks in the Wizard of Oz....

And there we have
The VW Tiguan,
For an SUV
It sure ain't a biguan.
Winner right there

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Yeah fair point. I probably see 10 cayenne and q7s before I see a Touareg . I'm obviously on the lookout now too.
<snip>
Well, I am not on the lookout. But I also notice the Cayenne and Audi SUV's much more than I see Touareg. Meaning when I notice the profile of the vehicle, it mostly turns out to be the Cayenne/Audi rather than the Touareg badge on it.

JazzBeBop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE manual
My cousin bought an Atlas it's really nice. It's an SEL Premium. He now claims to NEVER get lost.

refueler

TDI
2014 Jetta 6 MT
I drove a 2018 Tiguan today it didn't have the 3rd row seats. It was an SE model I found it to have a good driving position, comfortable, and roomy. I was impressed with how much space there was between my knees and the back of the front seat at least 8" I'm 5'8". There were two things that I was not impressed with though the console arm rest is to far back and to low to be comfortable. Under hard acceleration from a stop the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is different. I don't think it stays in 1st gear very long. But after that it seems to shift smoothly and it has good acceleration. Over all I really like the 2018 Tiguan I especially like the body lines. The only thing I still need to see is the 3rd row seating to see how much room there is in the 3rd row.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
I already have an order in for a new Tiguan. I'll pick it up on the same day VW buys the Touareg back. Getting an SE with 4motion, as the SEL 4motion seems to be further back in the supply line. The third row seat is an option on 4motion models, but standard on the FWD. Price on the SE 4motion is around $32,000, without the pano roof, or the third row.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I didn't see any Tiguans at the local dealer. I Need to do some 7 seater research before the wife forces us to get a Sienna. The fix for the JSW better happen, or I'm getting a minivan :(

Also friend is trying to get an Atlas, even though I told them first year may not be a smart choice. They drove a pathfinder so anything is better than a Nissan ;)

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The problem with the Atlas is the engine isn't a SUV engine. To say it plainly it's a big car with no grunt. I doubt you can tow anything bigger than a utility trailer with it. My Treg TDI pulls 7700 lbs and gets good mileage while doing it. They will have to address the issue to be considered a REAL suv. It is a US suburban for the kiddies to ride to school.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Agreed on all points . I'm all against the Atlas. But for that particular friend, that's what it is. A Kid shuttle. I'd rather get a Honda Pilot (previous Gen) but this friend can't be pursuaded.

It's too bad the Touaregs priced themself out of the market when there are Cayennes and Q7's. They needed something to differentiate them; price, features or engine (TDi). Not only that, most of them will get bought back and even fewer will be seen on the road.

If I could find a Q7 TDI used for 30k I'd get into one, but they are all getting bought up for the fix payments and buyback profit. Till then I'll keep messing with this Mariah Carey V10.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Minivans are still better, they make more sense. And there is no reason they cannot be AWD too, if you actually need it (some are).

Give me a 7 passenger Transporter 4mo any day. And so long as I am wishing for something I won't ever get, make it a diesel with three pedals, too. :eek:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Minivans are still better, they make more sense. And there is no reason they cannot be AWD too, if you actually need it (some are).

Give me a 7 passenger Transporter 4mo any day. And so long as I am wishing for something I won't ever get, make it a diesel with three pedals, too. :eek:
For something that you buy new, only Toyota offers AWD on the Sienna.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lots of "SUVs" are on minivan platforms now anyway. Honda Pilot and Nissan Pathfinder come to mind. They just sacrifice utility for a truck-like look.

oilhammer

TDI
Lots of "SUVs" are on minivan platforms now anyway. Honda Pilot and Nissan Pathfinder come to mind. They just sacrifice utility for a truck-like look.

That is exactly my point. Same for the Sienna, it is the same underpinnings as a Highlander. I guess when you get to see under their skin regularly you see what they are really made of, and which one has more room inside and has the much more family friendly flat floors and sliding doors, foldaway seats, etc.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
That is exactly my point. Same for the Sienna, it is the same underpinnings as a Highlander. I guess when you get to see under their skin regularly you see what they are really made of, and which one has more room inside and has the much more family friendly flat floors and sliding doors, foldaway seats, etc.
Which, they are based on Sedan platforms.

The Pilot & Odessey is based on the Accord platform
The Sienna and Highlander are based on the Camry platform
The Pathfinder shares its platform with the Altima and Maxima.

oilhammer

TDI
Which, they are based on Sedan platforms.

The Pilot & Odessey is based on the Accord platform
The Sienna and Highlander are based on the Camry platform
The Pathfinder shares its platform with the Altima and Maxima.
Yes, but very loosely. VERY loosely. So loose that there is very little the same. I think the platform sharing in the modern age has come to mean a broader spectrum of sharedness. The Element was based on the 2001-2005 platform Civic. But you really have to look hard to see ANY similarities.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Easier solution

Get the snip snip before you outgrow the 5 seater and buy a jeep. Loving the ecodiesel Grand Cherokee. Proper powertrain and 4wd that works. 32 mpg isn't too shabby for 6k of steel

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Till then I'll keep messing with this Mariah Carey V10.
If you ever decide to sell the V10, let me know.... Hopefully it's not anytime too soon, because I ain't ready for it at the moment! But definitely always wanted one to tinker with and occasionally haul stuff.