www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 11th, 2017, 10:38   #1
skromfols
Veteran Member

Default Has anyone used flashzilla ?

I really want to add a Malone tune back on the 2014 JSW TDI, but I know that VW will eventually get around to messing with the software to meet the emission requirements, so I'm thinking that going with flashzilla would be the right thing to do. If I understand what the advert says, I can get the Flashzilla and purchase the Malone tune, then when I take the car into the dealer for the "fix" I can unload the tune back onto Flashzilla and reload it onto my JSW after VW is through messing with it. Am I on track with my thinking? And if anyone has used the flashzilla on a 2014 (which apparently has a few extra issues) would you please any information that you think would be helpful

Thanks

Stan
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:30   #2
Owain@malonetuning

Nothing special about using the device on a 2014, it works on all newer diesels with the exception of 09-10 touaregs. Yes you're correct in your logic, however any form of port flashing will increase the flash counter. If you religiously service the car at the dealer, and they keep seeing different flash count values, they might get suspicious. Given this fiasco VW isn't really in a position to blatantly call people out for unapproved software on their vehicles, but if warranty is a concern it'd be best to keep the flashes to a minimum.

Reverting back to stock and erasing the device when going in for the big fix, which is not yet approved, would be best.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 12:04   #3
skromfols
Veteran Member

Owain, I'm not really concerned about warranty issues, as the car has about 70,000 miles on it, so it's well out of warranty. I've sent you an email to the Malone site requesting information on purchasing the flashzilla and a Malone tune.
Old July 16th, 2017, 16:29   #4
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I flashed my 11 with flashzilla, no issue
Old July 16th, 2017, 18:52   #5
brian_e
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50ish

Yes--flashzilla is awesome.
2001 Jetta TDI 5 spd w/clean intake; vent-ectomy, egr-ectomy, extded range key fob receiver, fuel sender mod; 3 spoke steering wheel; upgraded head unit; Malone stage 2 w/DLC 1016's, TRS HID's; 2015 Golf TDI SEL - no mods keeping it and the ca$h; 2010 Jetta TDI - waiting to be "repaired" then modded (chipped, deleted, and dieselgate mod deleted).
brian_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 19:12   #6
sands80

Does Flashzilla have the ability to copy the current firmware on the car? So for example if I take my tdi in for the diesel gate factory fix (the software portion) and I dislike the results, could I then use flashzilla to put the original firmware back on?

I know that I can put the aftermarket tune on, but I want to know if the above is possible?
sands80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 19:18   #7
Owain@malonetuning

No, it can only ID the ECU and that's compared to a database, it does not read the file. There are some tuners claiming they'll send you a "custom tune" for these cars. That's only the case if you have a back and forth conversation and exchange data logs etc.

We don't plan on reversing a federally mandated emissions update either, although we do sell tunes for race/offroad use that're night and day over stock, or can do something mild to offset the decreases from updates while keeping regen frequency etc the same.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote