2004 passat gear ratio fault.

ACMTDiJet

TDI
1.9L BRM, MKV Jetta, 2.0L BHW, B5 Passat wagon
Good morning tdiclub. I have a bhw passat with a gmr auto. I know these things are pretty much known for failures however im more interested in the diagnosis portion. The car has almost 270k. I dont know if the gmr is OG or not but heres the skinny.
Had P0741 so i know it needs a TC.
Then tiptronic stopped working.
Now in limp mode with PRND432 lit up with gear ratio monitoring and excessive clutch slippage faults
Now im not looking for someone to say "Trans is junk" cause im already gonna replace it with a new TC. The wife likes it to be automatic so no manual swap.
I am curious on how to determine if the gear selector module is bad as well since tiptronic hasnt been working. Checked under the pass. carpet and found no water damage or broken or bad wires and the TCM was sealed up good. Any help, advice or overall sympathy would be much appreciated. :)

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
In the interest of saving time and your sanity, I would assume the worst, which is the most likely scenario. Your option is to either replace it with a factory reman. auto or a manual swap. It may cost at least $5k, unless you can do the work yourself.

There is no easy or cheap option with these cars.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
So prior to the transmission dying the selector worked fine except for the tip side, correct? If so then I saw a post sometime ago that there are magnets or such on that side of the shifter that sense when the handle is moved. If you can find that post it explains how to fix them.

ACMTDiJet

TDI
Thanks everyone, i got a used auto and TC with 6 month warranty for 2k and installed it with new bolts, the whole nine. Test drove. Constant p0741 and incorrect gear ratio in every gear. Once im done ripping my hair out ill be figuring out another plan.

ACMTDiJet

TDI
So prior to the transmission dying the selector worked fine except for the tip side, correct? If so then I saw a post sometime ago that there are magnets or such on that side of the shifter that sense when the handle is moved. If you can find that post it explains how to fix them.
Appreciate the help. After i replaced trans and TC still not tip. Assuming its broken somehow. Ill look for tje post, thanks

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP