www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 15th, 2017, 19:34   #1
jnl_public

Default Wiper area/hood meets windshield drain

I'm trying to diagnose my floor board carpet getting wet on the driver side all of a sudden when it rains.

One thing mentioned in the blogosphere is that water can seep down along the firewall. I've always known the leaves, debris, small twigs, etc. accumulates at the base of the wipers. Usually, I pull the stuff out but over the years, some has fallen down beneath the plastic grate at the edge of the windshield.

I've been trying to figure out how to pull that grate off so that I can clean up the debris that has accumulated below hoping that that will somehow allow rain to then drain better and hopefully, not make it's way to my carpet.

1. Any suggestions on how to remove the grate?
  2. Other suggestions on how to diagnose the source of the seepage is welcomed too. (The area most effected is a lengthwise shallow indentation/~4" wide groove that one can feel through the carpet.)

Thanks all.

(I value full disclosure. Please disclose if you have an affiliation with a product, service, business, etc. that you recommend or mention in your threads. Thanks.)
jnl_public is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 19:56   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-51.9

This sounds like a sunroof drain issue.
This is common with a sunroof leaves and stuff clog the drain and they overflow down the pillar soaking the floor board.
As far as the grill section that you speak of lift the hood and there should be screws there, T-25 screws most likely..
If I remember correctly you must remove the wipers to get it off.
Old February 15th, 2017, 19:57   #3
drucifer
Veteran Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIkpD50k0Kw
While Boydie isn't doing a water leak it will get the grate off hopefully in one piece so you can make further investigations.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 20:42   #4
UhOh
Veteran Member

If you're just looking to clean then it's possible to ever-so-lightly lift that "rain tray" edge up and stick a small vacuum wand in there. I recently did this with the daughter's wagon.

Still might be a leak around the hood cable. That's a common leak spot. But, also noted, be sure your sun roof drains are working properly: this is (mostly) the easiest thing to check.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 10:01   #5
wonneber
Veteran Member

The front sun roof drain comes out in the door jam.
I pinch the rubber flap every few weeks to make sure its not stuck.

Rich W.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:12   #6
jnl_public

Thanks for those helpful suggestions.

With regards to the source possibly emanating from the sunroof, in my case, my Jetta doesn't have one.

@ Drucifer , thanks for providing the link to that video. Hopefully I don't break that plastic panel. In the parlance of the video's host, removing the panel looks a bit dodgey.

Any other areas that should be explored to find the source of the leak, I'm listening.

(I value full disclosure. Please disclose if you have an affiliation with a product, service, business, etc. that you recommend or mention in your threads. Thanks.)
Old February 16th, 2017, 14:09   #7
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

It's not hard to get off, just be careful. The hard part is getting it back in with the lip on the windshield nice and tight. Meticulous cleaning and maybe some soap on the edge what fits in the channel. Warm air temperatures are good.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 14:48   #8
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Meticulous cleaning and maybe some soap on the edge what fits in the channel. Warm air temperatures are good.
Yup. I clean the plastic channel in the bottom of the windshield with a toothbrush, Spray-9 and a shop-vac.

PS: The windshield itself can leak if it has been replaced at some point and not re-sealed properly.
Rembrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 18:50   #9
jnl_public

Taking notes...

Thanks again.

Old February 17th, 2017, 10:51   #10
atownbrg
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48

I have to do this as well, this video makes it look a little easier..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHhnCe4r4Q
Maybe a loose blade from a hacksaw will fit in the narrow channel to help dig out gunk where the plastic piece fits into?
Also it could be easier starting from one side or the other and prying up near the hood hinge rather than trying to pop it up by prying near the glass.
atownbrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 11:26   #11
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by atownbrg View Post
I have to do this as well, this video makes it look a little easier..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHhnCe4r4Q
Maybe a loose blade from a hacksaw will fit in the narrow channel to help dig out gunk where the plastic piece fits into?
Also it could be easier starting from one side or the other and prying up near the hood hinge rather than trying to pop it up by prying near the glass.
It could, but it's best to not use any metal tools in that area. You can use a really strong cleaner like MEK or toluene if you have to, just be sure to rinse.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 19:04   #12
where2
Veteran Member

Last September, I cleaned the leaves and debris out of my rain tray. I also put a bead of silicone on the rim of the cover for where the wiring harness enters the cabin. That seems to have stopped the water ingress in my MkIV.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:17   #13
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

The very bottom of the drains, behind the rear fender liner can and will get clogged. Someone here suggested using a spacer on the bottom rear bolt to create a small gap for leaves to come out, and this has worked well for me.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:57   #14
pudman2003

If your leak isn't coming from the cowl area, you need to look your window regulator panel bolted to the drivers door. If the seal on the regulator panel is bad water can leak into the interior.You should also look at the speaker mount to the regulator panel. You can use a hose to help diagnose. Force water into the door panel by side mirror outside of car and see if water comes out of regulator panel.

Good luck
pudman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:17   #15
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman2003 View Post
If your leak isn't coming from the cowl area, you need to look your window regulator panel bolted to the drivers door. If the seal on the regulator panel is bad water can leak into the interior.You should also look at the speaker mount to the regulator panel. You can use a hose to help diagnose. Force water into the door panel by side mirror outside of car and see if water comes out of regulator panel.
Good luck
I wonder if water is getting in there through the drivers side rear door on my car.
I replaced both rear speakers (1 was dead) and mounted them to the regulator w/o the original plastic spacer from the speaker.
Seamed easier at the time.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote