fuel gelled or relay 109 or gp prob?

iwebslinger

TDI
jetta 99.5 silver
I wanted to first say that this site has been tremendous. I have lurked here for a couple of years. I have not had any real problems so this is kind of like the third or fourth time i have posted. My vw dealership service guy asked for the url.

Well, my problem has been that my car has begun to stall I live in Utica NY and the temperatures have been as has been in the whole Northeast. I had rough starts and eventually had the battery replaced. I then had an oil change. Well since last Friday the car will start and go for a couple of minutes and then it stalls. The glow plugs don't come on and I have seen some stuff on relay 109. It has happened to me twice on me since I purchased the vehicle and usually in a minute or two I will leave it alone and then restart it and go. Well this time the glow plugs were not coming on. I had my car towed back home and then let it sit. I was afraid it was the gp going bad. This morning I went out and the gp came on. I then drove back and forth in the drive way to see what would happen and the car stalled again. No gp light. I have added anti gell additive but last nigth my wife confessed that she had gotten diesel at a convenience store that is not a truck stop.

I have a 99.5 tdi with 100k on it. gp? relay 109? or fuel gelled?
Also if it is a relay 109 which I should probably change since the search feature is not working can someone show me where there was an article on how to change it. I saw it yesterday but I can't seem to find it again.

Thanks

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
. gp? relay 109? or fuel gelled?

[/ QUOTE ]

__. I didn't quite understand. Did you go to your car, put the key in and turn it to the first notch (i. e. before the starter engages)? If so, does the little "coil" icon for the glow plug light up? If the "coil" light comes on, it's not Relay 109 -- any failure mode from Relay 109 that causes the engine not to start will cause the glow plug icon not to light up.

iwebslinger

TDI
jetta 99.5 silver
Thank you for your response. I went out to the car and turned the key to start - all the other lights came on except for the glow plugs. Hope that clears it up.

Thanks

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, replace the relay.

iwebslinger

TDI
jetta 99.5 silver
My local dealer does not have any in stock. Can I purchase these at somewhere like foreign autoparts?

Thanks

iwebslinger

TDI
jetta 99.5 silver
Hi. I did purchase the part from foreign autopart. Unfortunately this was an aftermarket part and it was black and was the same size as the old one. What do you think? The manufacturer is kraker. The car is starting and did not quit as before. I know that in the posts about the relay that the old one was black and the new ones are grey and smaller?

What do you think?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The new black one will last for a while. Just put it on your shopping list to get the newer grey one the next time you go shopping for parts.

iwebslinger

TDI
jetta 99.5 silver
Thank you. I will order from impex tomorrow and when weather starts getting nicer I will replace.

Thanks