Brand New tires and car is totalled

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Not a TDI...

We put tires on the roommates car this morning. This afternoon she totals the car. Tires still have nubs on them. What are the chances she will get full value from them? If not full value, what percentage would be realistic?

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
In my experience working in a shop, If she has a receipt for the tires then she can get something back if she makes a deal about it. We can often get more out of an adjuster using invoices to prove work done with our customers vehicles. She may not get the full cost back, but they should add some if she's got thick skin. I less common approach would be to buy the car back from your insurance company if you are certain the tires are still good. Get your tires back, scrap the car yourself.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So she will have to fight to get anything out of them? We certainly have the receipt so that's a good start. If that's the way it is, I'll have to look at other options. She has the spare as well as an extra rim. Get two rims from Craigslist and some junk tires mounted on the rims and swap them all out. Maybe sell the tires and rims mounted and recover all of the costs.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
How is it the fault of the tire manufacturer, that she got into an accident? She would need to prove the tires were defective to get it warrantied.

It's the equivalent of me getting new brakes on a weekend of 2010, then the Monday morning, I hit a deer on the way to work, and me blaming Akebono for it.

When my MKIV Golf got totaled, I complained to the insurance company that I just put new snow tires on. I gave them a copy of the receipt and they paid me back the cost of the new snow tires, which the insurance company fought the insurance company of the guy that hit me.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Not looking for warranty, LOL. Not sure where you got that idea.

Thanks for the info about getting full reimbursement. I wonder how it would play out if the fault is hers? Maybe her insurance company will fight it. :confused:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it's all a moot point now. Insurance made their offer and she took it. I won't bother her for the details since it's her situation, not mine.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
For those who find this. If you have a receipt and it's within 90days of any service work. The insurance company will pay this above the value on the vehicle if you do it before signing off. They hope you don't know this and skip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capnjack

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon (sold back to VW), 2015 manual shift TDI Sportwagon, w Westphalia hitch
Tire related question. Just bought a 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen after they developed a fix for it. Will shortly sell back my 2010 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. 2015 has one of the miniature spares - 2010 has a full size spare, and I'm thinking of switching them. Rub is that the wheel sizes are different - 16" & 18", but the difference in tire profiles evens it out, and actual diameters of the four running wheels on the 2015 and the spare on the 2010 are the same, at about 25" diameter. Bolt pattern the same. Anyone see a problem with this plan?
Put this question in the 'general' forum because it isn't really specific to VWs, but more about wheels & tires. If you think it belongs in another forum, let me know that, too.
Thanks,

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Tire related question. Just bought a 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen after they developed a fix for it. Will shortly sell back my 2010 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. 2015 has one of the miniature spares - 2010 has a full size spare, and I'm thinking of switching them. Rub is that the wheel sizes are different - 16" & 18", but the difference in tire profiles evens it out, and actual diameters of the four running wheels on the 2015 and the spare on the 2010 are the same, at about 25" diameter. Bolt pattern the same. Anyone see a problem with this plan?
Put this question in the 'general' forum because it isn't really specific to VWs, but more about wheels & tires. If you think it belongs in another forum, let me know that, too.
Thanks,
the 205/55r16 tire becomes a full size temporary spare tire.

The cover may not sit properly though, as it was designed for the width of the narrow temporary spare tire

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
The question deserves it's own thread but since this issue is closed for me, it doesn't matter to me if you want to post your question here. It may get more traffic elsewhere though.