Relay 109 in a 2002 Beetle

Beetle Bill

TDI
05.5 Jetta, 2012 Passat Sel Premium
Guys, I'm new to the board and have a question. I have been reading alot about Relay 109, I understand the gray color is what is needed. Does anyone know if the 2002 Beetles have the gray relay or the black. I've read where VW started putting the gray ones in the newer cars?
Thanks for your reply.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Best way to find out what you have, is to open the relay panel and have a look! chances are, it's the grey relay.

However, I would not worry too much about this. Internet forums are not a good predictor of how reliable a vehicle is, because people with problems ask questions while people without problems don't say much. This one gets questions asked a lot, because it's a problem that isn't in the "official" troubleshooting guide that the dealerships use, and it is an *intermittent* problem which are the worst kind to diagnose. This problem has been known to stump mechanics or get them barking up the wrong tree because they don't recognize the symptoms.

'96 Passat, with original-design black Relay 109, never acted up in 293,000 km, and I don't carry a spare. They don't always fail. Don't worry about it, just be aware of the symptoms.