Anyone interested in Old Navy Fall GTG: Saturday, Oct 17, 2015

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
inexpensive fuel options?

Walt:

Is the Murphy station in Poplar Bluff's Wal-Mart's parking lot still a cheap fuel stop? Are there other options that aren't too far off the beaten path? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Walt:

Is the Murphy station in Poplar Bluff's Wal-Mart's parking lot still a cheap fuel stop? Are there other options that aren't too far off the beaten path? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Dan
The Kroger store and fuel station is cheapest in town 90% of the time and it's closest. Remember the McDonald's there just past the stop light, well down the street a little bit on the other side or left as you head south, that's about a mile south of the Poplar Bluff exit you used to get off at. It was $2.08 yesterday and all the other stations were about a dime higher.

That intersection where the American Super Store is that you used to turn left at has been widened and looks quite a bit different now, but when you go on down the road instead of turning left like you used to go to our old house keep going and the Kroger is 1/4 mile down on same side as the American Super Store just past the Goodyear tire store.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Hey, looks like overnight low will be upper 30's and high will be low 60's and about the same for Sunday, so bring a jacket. We had low to mid 60's most of the morning till about noon then we hit about 75 this afternoon. :D

Currently the fall colors are very drab due to a dry summer, we have mowed the yard 3 or 4 times is all this year, yard was really looking nice about first of July. Now we have bare spots again and most of it has turned brown. :eek:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Oh boy tomorrow is the big day. :D

Also I have put up PINK ribbon on the sign at highway 21 and K highway junction were you turn left on to K highway. Also at CR 234, that's the gravel road where you turn right off of K highway, then on my mail box and along the road/driveway to telephone where you turn and drive rest of the way to house.

Also at the 21 and K junction pull past the road sign until you can see completely around curve otherwise you could be in middle of the road as a 25 ton dump truck or 30 ton log truck comes around the curve doing 65 to 70 mph and you become another person buried in a closed casket. They average 1 or 2 a year killed there.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Just had a sausage gravy biscuit. :D Sure was good. :p

I guess w/o the usual early birds not coming, Glen, Jerry, Bruce, people will not start dropping in till probably about 8am and on.

Cat's (we have 5) were in the woods trying to catch squirrels, would have popped a few with 22, but didn't want to be sitting on front with a rifle when someone drove up. ;)

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well the GTG is over and a bunch of good friends have gone home and I look forward to next year. :D

What I think was great was no wrenching, we just ate, talked, did some shooting and in general seeing old friends again. :cool:

Dan's boy Ian has grown up, and is a long tall drink of water and in college now. :eek:

Well grandpa's arthritis has flared up and it's time to go to lay down on heating pad and turn on my Kindle.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt, Linda, Elai, and Zander:

Thank you very much for hosting your GTG! It was a great time seeing Dave, Mike, John and Chuck again! Too bad some of the other folks didn't make it out, but the folks that did seemed to have a good time. Ian and I pulled out of Poplar Bluff at 7AM and pulled in our driveway at about 1:30PM, and we only had to hit 1 rest area. It was a great trip and we look forward to having the opportunity to visit again in the future! Again, Thanks!

Dan and Ian

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well let us move forward from '15 to '17 and guess who showed up here at our new house here in the country about 30 miles from our old home in Poplar Bluff.

MOGolf drove up in his Range Rover, and surprised the heck out of us, haven't seen him since '09 and didn't recognize him at first. What's funny is I was in bedroom just starting a nap before going out to do yard work and when I came out of bedroom half asleep and w/o my glasses I thought it was Linda's cousin Charlie and within moment of saying hello I realized it wasn't Linda's cousin but I could not remember his first name all I could think of was MOGolf. How embarrassing, but finally the senile old brain came out of its fog and I remembered it was Glen.

We haven't had much company since moving way out in the sticks and if he had come by sooner we could had lunch together. Wished we had known he was coming and we could have had things ready for him to spend the night with us, but maybe some other time.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It was good to see you again, Walt. I was glad to see you can still get up and about. :p That is a nice truck you have too.

I also stopped by Franko6 and paramedick on my path back to OH from CO. The diesel RR got 31 mpg as expected over my short trip (3600 miles). Oilhammer, 40x40, and bitterberry got visits on the western direction part.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Good to hear you're doing well, Walt. I fondly remember coming to your GTG, I think in '09 or thereabouts. Long drive from MA. Shortly after leaving your place I got pulled over for a burned out headlight bulb. Car full of parts, no e-code bulbs. Had to stop at Wal-Mart and install it in the parking lot.

MOGolf, I recently looked at the diesel RRs. Nice truck, silent engine. Sounds like you're enjoying yours.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I think Glen's RR even has the kitchen sink. I really like the air ride suspension, wish I had that option. It was quitter then my ECO D, but my truck isn't as noise suppressed under hood or at the exhaust as it's a work truck and built for serious work like hauling a bed full of gravel or logs and has towed on several occasions 3000 and 4000 pound loads on a trailer. I'm sure the RR could handle the towing weight, although that short WB might give it a little stability workout. The RR weight however might overcome any of the handling problem so common with SWB vehicles. Linda said she would buy one for sure if we won the lottery.....so I bought a Power Ball ticket yesterday. Who knows, maybe..... :D

IIRC the 09 GTG was the one that had people from NE coast to NW coast, GA, Canada, and Southern or central TX drop in.

After yesterdays working around house and shopping I wasn't sure I was going to be up and around today. I'm 72 now and with arthritis in about every joint, sometimes it's all I can do to get up and walk to recliner in living room. But at least no other health problems are making live unpleasant or shorter, so I consider myself lucky.

Last edited: