2007 V10 Touareg with extra noises

Dashhab

TDI
2005 Beetle TDI, 2007 Touareg V10 TDI
Hi,

I've been hanging around for a long time, just got around to joining.

I have a 2007 Touareg V10 TDI. Awesome truck- I haven't had the first issue out of it yet, I just want some input from others who may have more experience with these things than I do. Basically, this beast sounds like it is supercharged. I'm fairly certain it has to do with the power steering but it is incredibly difficult to "isolate" the noise with the access available. I did not notice the noise when test driving because it is nearly undetectable at idle and inside the cab it is one of those noises that if you weren't "listening for it", you wouldn't notice it. Outside the truck, it screams like a banshee. Best I can come up with is a wasted power steering pump, which makes me sad. On occasion I can feel a "lack" of assist during some parking lot maneuvers. Long story short- I have put 10K on the Treg since buying it, the noise hasn't changed intensity and the power steering fluid is flowing in the reservoir, not foamy, and looks very clean.

I don't necessarily know common failure modes of power steering pumps- what I have sounds like severe cavitation. Has anyone ever had one of these pumps apart? I do understand that pump failure is an engine drop, I also understand completely what I have gotten myself into buying this truck ;-)

Lastly, I have been through the trusted mechanic's list. I live in Hot Springs, AR which is a black hole of sorts for specialty services and freight. Maybe someone on the forum here knows an adventurous mechanic with a curiosity for the beast that is a V10 TDI.

Thanks!

sjberg40

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
When mine made some noise (not as loud as you describe yours), I found the level of fluid to be low. Added to it and it went quiet. IIRC, if the seal fails, power steering fluid mixes with the engine oil. Does your oil look any different?

Dashhab

TDI
2005 Beetle TDI, 2007 Touareg V10 TDI
As long as I am checking it correctly the fluid level is ok. I remove the cap/dipstick, wipe it, re-install, then check. Is this the correct method or are you supposed to do something else like set the cap on the reservoir without threading it?

Also, I haven't noticed the fluid level dropping over 10k miles, nor has the engine been "making" any oil.