Roof rails

Johnsontf

TDI
2004 Passat
Hey folks,
I am looking to install roof rails on my b5.5 sedan. I am interested in Perrycraft's rail systems that bolt directly to the roof, mostly cause I prefer the look to more common rack systems that clip on the frame above the doors. Problem is, their site suggests not to use on vehicles with sunroof, which I happen to be blessed with.
Does anyone have experience with this? I dropped a message in their inbox but didn't hear anything back. I think the only concern would be drilling into the sunroof mechanics, but to my knowledge, the motor is towards the front.
Any advice is appreciated.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I may be way off base, but my 2002 Jetta had pins under the rubber strip above the doors. Four pins on each side. My Yakima roof rack clipped onto those pins for a very solid secure connection.
And yes I did have a sunroof too as well as a spoiler for the sunroof..
I suggest you check both Yakima or Thule instead of some off beat racks. Cannot see how your Passat would be different from the Jetta roof.

Johnsontf

TDI
2004 Passat
I have a rail gutter with a plastic strip that runs the length of the roof. Under that is just a depression in the roof, no clips or anything.
I ended up going with an inno rack that connects to the roof via under the doors. Was too nervous about drilling into my roof and the strength of the rack connected to sheet metal.