Headlight warning buzzer stopped working

estefania

TDI
Golf TDI 2002 silver 4dr
Does anyone know if this is an easy fix, ie, a fuse? I am one battery down already and really need to get this fixed! Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have a 2002 Golf TDI.

estefania

TDI
Golf TDI 2002 silver 4dr
Just checked - yes, they come on, however, I noticed they came on as soon as I unlocked the door walking towards the car, before opening the door. They were already on when I opened the door, if that makes sense.

Anomie

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta DSG
estefania said:
Just checked - yes, they come on, however, I noticed they came on as soon as I unlocked the door walking towards the car, before opening the door. They were already on when I opened the door, if that makes sense.
Try two different things for me.

Test #1
Get in your car, close the door, and cycle the key (turn the key on, but don't crank the engine, then turn it off again). With the key still in the ignition, open the door.

- Do your interior lights come on? (hold that answer)

Test #2
Get out of your car. Lock it like you normally would, which I would assume is your keyfob. Wait about 15-20 seconds, and then using the key (CRITICAL: do not use the remote), turn the door lock to unlock the driver door.

- Does your alarm disarm? (external lights flash twice, door lock actuator cycles to open, etc.)

-Before you open the door, do the interior lights turn on? (dome lights)

Open your door. Do this regardless of your results and the answers to both questions in this test (#2).

- Alarm?
- Door courtesy light?
- Anything?

estefania

TDI
Golf TDI 2002 silver 4dr
Thanks for your post - I have to do this....

first thing tomorrow, since I'm home alone with sleeping baby and shouldn't do this alone in the dark (DC streets, sometimes not the safest)
I will get back to you ASAP in the AM.
THANKS again for your help.
S

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
estefania said:
Try unlocking the door with the remote, and open door.
If courtesy light on lower left of door card DOES NOT come on, then the door swirch is fubared.
Search will yield a $3 door switch fix

Vultured

TDI
2000 Jetta
I'm having a similar problem, only mine has all the lights working correctly and the alarm.

What isn't working is the sound the car makes when I leave the headlights on or the keys in the car. That is to say no warning sound.

Any thoughts?

Anomie

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta DSG
Bottom line: Most of the door chime issues are actually door issues. The microswitches inside the door lock mechanisms that sense door open, door closed, and key turned either to lock or unlock fail. The failure may be because the switch itself fails, the solder joints for the switch wiring fails, and other times the mounting method for the switches fail (the switches are held in by plastic rivets that stretch).

Even if your interior lights come on when you open the door this one time when we asked you to check, it doesn't mean that's always the case. I had this problem and it was intermittent until it degraded to 10% failure. Broken solder joints in my case.

Make damn sure that before you guarantee to yourself and the forums that your door locks are perfectly fine, check every time you get in and out of your car that the lights come on as they should. And please don't check right after you unlocked the car (keyfob/doorlock), the lights will be on because you just unlocked the doors.

If after a week or so you are absolutely certain your locks are OK, and you know that even while the lights are working the chime still isn't coming on, then by all means condemn your warning chime.