Sprint Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number

We are the newest Authorized Dealers, therefore we are offering an introductory special price of $290.00 Plus free installation or free shipping.

SPRINT BOOSTER is designed for the following:

GOLF/JETTA IV and PASSAT ('00-'05) (Gas Only)
GOLF/JETTA V and PASSAT ('06-up) (Including Diesel)
AUDI A4, S4 and A6 ('00-up)
AUDI TT and A3 ('06-up)

Improve the throttle response in your car with this simple but effective upgrade. Available in Standard or Plus models depending on your preference. The Standard model works well with automatic transmissions and the Plus is slightly more aggressive and suitable for manual transmissions.

SPRINTBOOSTER, the Plug-n-Play Performance Upgrade Module! This is an upgrade that you can feel with normal everyday driving, not just on the track at redline!

What is Sprint Booster?

Most cars in the 21st century like the MINI have replaced the more conventional throttle cable for an ECM (Electronic Control Module) that translates how hard the pedal is pushed into electronic signals in order to provide power to the wheels.

The ETC (Electronic Throttle Control), which is also known as Drive-By-Wire, has the unfortunate downside of delayed response and subdued acceleration, which can create problems in certain situations such as up-hill starts, quick gearchanges and overtaking.

The Sprint-Booster overcomes this throttle response delay by providing crisp, on-tap acceleration for whenever the driver demands it.

Results

* At low revs, the engine responds at approximately half the time in comparison to before.
* The delay time whilst accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear and the engine in the mid-range, is almost zero.
* Big differences in the higher rev range.
* Improved response for downshifts and safer overtaking.
* Overall safety and more fun on the road!

Sprint-Booster is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) potentiometer, and providing the ECM (Electronic Control Module) with a new, faster and more response signal.

The design of the Sprint Booster allows for its easy installation in all models, without the need to cut any wires or intervene in the automobile’s electronics (it does not affect other systems such as electronic injection, ABS, etc.).

To book you appointment, or for more information, please call us toll free at 1-877-557-7900 or place your order online at http://jsperformance.ca/index.php?cPath=146

Last edited:

LA@JSPerformance.ca

jsillars said:
Any plans for an A3 version?
Unfortunately there are no plans at this time for the A3 version.

vwmikel said:
Ya know, you can also do the same thing in the software ;)
This product was primarly designed as a safety enhancement feature, as we all know VW's have a poor throttle/pedal response time. This improves on acceleration response on stock, boxed and chipped vehicles.

Not every person wants their vehicle modified, they wish to maintain there vehicles reliablity and longevity. This electronic component is a great add on for these customers. This does not effect any of the manufacturers warranties and gives them peice of mind when merging into traffic and overtaking.;)

LA@JSPerformance.ca

owr084 said:
How well does this play with a chipped (Rocketchip RC2) ECU?
Up here we have very few vehicles running RocketChip.

We have tested these units on vehicles runnning the Diesel Tuning power boxes and the Revo Diesel Tune. The throttle response time in some cases has been improved from 0.45 to 0.15.

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
For any Aligator and RC owners or future owners. Jeff can do this in software. It's just a damn linearization map. Without breaking out the Simulink blocks you have 1, 2 or more "maps" in your engine.

Say this is a 2 "map" conversion
#1: Throttle resistance to Throttle position. The TPS is just a fancy resistor. If you angularly displace it 30 degrees this #1 map says "Hey. I'm at 30%". Now if you go in and change that map you can say 30 degrees is 50% or 100% (Although your remaining 30-end of travel would STILL be 100%).

#2. Throttle position to Fueling. Engine says "Hey I'm at 50%, lets give X fuel". "Hey I'm at 100%, lets dump Y Fuel". (And in reality this is probably a 2,3 or 4D map based on boost, temp, etc.) Now how your car responds is entirely up to how this map is populated. You could make it linear, 0->100% = 0->100%, log, exponential, square, cube, etc.

So if you REALLY wanted to. You could make it such that when you moved your TPS from 0->10 degrees, LOD went from 0->100%. So ALL of your control would be done in those 10 degrees (making for a jumpy car). Or you could do a fast ramp slow ramp. Say 0->10 degrees you wanted to go 0->50% then the remaining degrees (How far does a throttle pedal move anyway) go from 50% -> 100%. It certainly makes your car 'feel' faster because you're really demanding 50% fueling right off the throttle.

As a controls engineer I'd break it apart to decouple the system (For industrial and other applications which might use a different TPS) But you could go straight from TPS to Fueling in one map.

In my expert opinion that is all this is. Jump up the fueling/lod map right away with a plug in module that goes between the TPS and the ECM. TPS says 10, Sprint Booster says "Nah lets make it 20", ECM sees 20. Now you could get all fancy depending on how much processing power you have and build in some nice hysteresis. So when you are accelerating 0->10 degrees actually goes from 0->50% fueling. But on the way back down 10 degrees would only be 20% fueling so coming off of the pedal you wouldn't reach the end 'so soon'. (Which, if the person that designed this is reading, this would be a good idea AND something you couldn't just do with new ECM maps).

It's like a clutch. The first time you jump into a car the clutch is either really stiff or really loose. And immediately you think "Wow this is so much tighter/looser than my last car." Then once you drive the car for a week your brain adapts to where the clutch engages and you're fine. The same thing could happen. Your 'brain ecm' will just remap where 50% fueling is and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sprint Booster FAQ

What is Sprint Booster?

Why is Sprint Booster so effective?

How much horsepower gain can I expect from the Sprint Booster?
............Sprint Booster does not increase horsepower. Sprint Booster changes the throttle response in the low to mid rpm range where cars spend a majority of their time. As a result, your car feels peppier and more powerful.

Why is Sprint Booster so expensive?
......Actually, Sprint Booster is very cost effective. Some customers reported their Sprint Booster feels just as powerful as a software upgrade which costs $100s of dollars more.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

This product is developed by a a company in the UK.

http://sprint-booster.co.uk/default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

This is typical TDI Club thug mentality, we present a new product and you guys feel the need to sh*t all over this thread. If you feel the need bash this product go directly to the manufacturer/developers and pass on your concerns to them.

Our customers that have the Sprint Booster product are extremelly happy with it - this also includes customers running software programs.

BTW if you read the entire post you would know that this product does not work on the ALH or the AHU only the MK5's.

Last edited:

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
How many times have we been subjected to junk products in the past? Diesel Secret, Upsolute Stage III kits, SeaFoam, etc. Call it "thug mentality" if you will. I call it TDIClub members watching out for each other.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

meganuke said:
How many times have we been subjected to junk products in the past? Diesel Secret, Upsolute Stage III kits, SeaFoam, etc. Call it "thug mentality" if you will. I call it TDIClub members watching out for each other.
I call this ignorance, this product is new to the market. Not one of the above members have seen or used this product - so what are they basing this negativity on?

At one time people thought the world was flat - how wrong they were. This closed mindness to other products/options is what holds back the developement of new products to the TDI world.

I do not mind constructive critism of product or informing members of 'bad/poor' products. But bashing a product because it is new is unacceptable.
If you have used this product and are unhappy then yes voice your opinion - but if you have no experience with this product then keep your opinions to yourself.

We were also skeptical at first, we purchased a few test units and tested this product. We were extremelly impressed with the results, so were the customers using this product.

If our results had not been as favorable as they were and the customer feed back had not been positive -we would not be selling this product nor trying to sell it to TDI Club members.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Yes folks, you read it right, the Sprint Booster is "PATENDED"

You'd think that for $290 and something the size of two $1 coins, they could at least spell patented correctly. :rolleyes:

LA@JSPerformance.ca

meganuke said:
There are a few items in your product description that throw up a red flag, hence the skepticism.

The first is how you've managed to break the laws of physics and speed up an electronic signal already traveling near the speed of light. The ECU is going to process the signal at the same speed it always has.

So tell me what this product gives you over a minor adjustment of the vnt actuator rod?
From my understanding of the product the Sprint Booster amplifies the signal.

My main concern when it comes to selling a product is if it works as it says it should, if the 'test' customers are happy with the product, if the product support is good, if the warranty support is good. All of which has been very positive in this case. Therefore the decision was made to carry this product.

On a regular basis we are asked to carry and sell certain products and brands. Before we make the decision to sell a product we test the product on our own vehicles or give them to 'test' customers. Based on our experience and the feed back we recieve we then decide to iether carry this product or not.

VeeDubTDI said:

Yes folks, you read it right, the Sprint Booster is "PATENDED"

You'd think that for $290 and something the size of two $1 coins, they could at least spell patented correctly. :rolleyes:
Both spellings are infact correct - please remember that this is an British firm eg. flavour vs flavor - both are correct depending on your location.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
LA@JSPerformance.ca said:
If you feel the need bash this product go directly to the manufacturer/developers and pass on your concerns to them.
How were we supposed to know you weren't the manufactures/developers.

Any resellers should take full responsibility for what they sell.

If you don't like 'childish' bashing, please answer my questions from an engineering point of view.

One Review said:
The Sprint Booster is a simple amplifier that multiplies the accelerator pedal sensor signal, making the accelerator pedal more sensitive. It does not eliminate any significant delay in throttle response, nor does it greatly improve acceleration figures. It does not change the adaptive throttle control programming of electronic throttle control vehicles. It does change pedal “feel”. This change in feel is interpreted by some as improved throttle response, acceleration, and a change in adaptive throttle control programming. Considering what it actually does, it is expensive.
Not one of the above members have seen or used this product - so what are they basing this negativity on?
Based on a bachelors of science of mechanical engineering, controls concentration. If someone started selling a perpetual motion device I wouldn't spend the money on it before I bashed it. I didn't "bash" the product, I just called it what it was, to quote someone else:

makes the car feel like it has at 10-15% more power (though, of course, that is really unchanged) due to the quickened throttle-engine response.
To which I said, for $290 you could get a full blown tune that in addition to giving you an actual tune you could do the same thing as this does. It's a map. It's a software map.

As far as Patented vs Patended. There is no english (of any spelling) word patended, but given the new knowledge that this is resold, maybe it's in another language.

Oh, and most "Patended" stuff has the Patend ID, do you have a patend # for this?

--

I just read the white paper VeeDub posted, Very informative and exactly what I was saying with pretty pictures.

Last edited:

LA@JSPerformance.ca

darkscout said:
If you feel the need bash this product go directly to the manufacturer/developers and pass on your concerns to them./QUOTE]

How were we supposed to know you weren't the manufactures/developers.

Any resellers should take full responsibility for what they sell.

If you don't like 'childish' bashing, please answer my questions from an engineering point of view.

Based on a bachelors of science of mechanical engineering, controls concentration. If someone started selling a perpetual motion device I wouldn't spend the money on it before I bashed it. I didn't "bash" the product, I just called it what it was, to quote someone else:

To which I said, for $290 you could get a full blown tune that in addition to giving you an actual tune you could do the same thing as this does. It's a map. It's a software map.

As far as Patented vs Patended. There is no english (of any spelling) word patended, but given the new knowledge that this is resold, maybe it's in another language.

Oh, and most "Patended" stuff has the Patend ID, do you have a patend # for this?
Dear Sir,

If you read the first post it says "We are the newest Authorized Dealers" not manufactuers/developers/designers, again a misconception on your part.

I am not an engineer nor have I ever claimed to be an engineer - so I do not have an engineering point of view. Please read all my posts regarding this product and why we have decided to carry it in our product line. Just as we have decided to carry Bosio injectors vs. Chineses injectors we did not ask for engineering data, simple use of the product shows that one is superior than the other. But this does not mean that people that use these Chinese Brands are not happy.

This product is another alternative for our customers - there is no product that suits everyone. Not every one wishes to adjust the Turbo VNT actuator rod, or install a tune. Some people just wish to have a simple plug and play system - which this is.

But I see that you have no experience using this product yet you choose to use people's quotes that are negative. If you are going to play the Devil's Advocate then you should also quote and list all the happy users of this product. If you look at the links I have posted they included both positive and negative comments on this product.

Again I will repeat myself - THIS PRODUCT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE AND DOES NOT SUIT EVERYONE'S DRIVING SYTLE.

Last edited:

LA@JSPerformance.ca

darkscout said:
Please inform me which tuners are giving a "full blown tune" to the MK5 PD's for $290.00, because we would like to test these "full blown tunes" and possibly carry them in our product line?:rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I believe that one reputable tuner will tune a Mk5 PD on the spot for somewhere in the neighborhood of $325 to $350.

So, you get your throttle pedal modification (done properly, through the ECU, and not some trick box) for $290, and the other $45 - $60 will get you an extra 30 hp! Not bad... $2/hp! Simply amazing, if you ask me.

And for the record, I did read some of the "good reviews." All of them said "wow, this is amazing, I can do a burnout by barely touching the pedal. None of them mention how the rest of the pedal travel does absolutely nothing. You've essentially shortened the throw of the gas pedal by an inch (or whatever it works out to be) with some molded plastic encasing some a few wires and resistors... for 10 (or more) times what it actually costs to produce.

At least with a chip tune, you have the satisfaction of knowing that an actual person is responsible for the performance enhancement, and not some robot churning out hundreds of these things at a time.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Wow - you chip boys are unbelievable.

Again a 'box' vs 'chip' war.
Unless you can do this with a box, his statement is valid. And the reason being (As shown in Post 11) you must be able to change the maps. So it is a correct statement that you can only do this through a proper ECU flash/map.

If his statement was opinion or false then it would be instigating of a new 'box' vs 'chip' war. If his statement was factual and true (which it is) then it is just that, a factual and true statement.

If someone who wishes to use boxes (and nothing against those who do) wish to do both a TPS remap and a fueling remap, they must buy both a Sprint Booster and a Tuning box.

So $290 + $490 (ALH) to $700 (PD). So Close to $1000 for what a chip can do for $350-$600 depending on vendor and method?

I am not attempting to start a 'war' or argue the merits of one vs another from anything other than a FINANCIAL standpoint. If anything I said was false or if my math does not add up. Please take the time, as a vendor to a newbie interested in your product, to explain to me any inaccurate or falsified information.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

darkscout said:
So it is a correct statement that you can only do this through a proper ECU flash/map.
Incorrect - There is more than just one way to skin a cat.

darkscout said:
I am not attempting to start a 'war' or argue the merits of one vs another from anything other than a FINANCIAL standpoint.
Most of this discussion has not been from a financial stand point but rather bashing of a product that none of these members have used, including yourself. (Most of your argument up to this point has not been regarding a financial standpoint)

As I have said numerous times this product is not designed for everyone, just as a chip tune is not designed for everyone.

This product is used and only compatible for the MK5 Diesel. Many of these owners do not wish to have a ECU tune (for warranty purposes) and would rather opt for more effecient throttle response - which this provides. This product is designed for stock, boxed and ECU tuned vehciles.

The bonus with this product is if you wish to sell your vehicle at a later date or once warranty is void to install a ECU tune - you can sell this product. An ECU tune is very difficult to resell.

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Incorrect - There is more than just one way to skin a cat.
Can you do this with a tuning box. Yes. Or. No.

The bonus with this product is if you wish to sell your vehicle at a later date or once warranty is void to install a ECU tune.
Ahh, the warranty red herring. Why is it if all these people have their warranties invalidated we haven't heard of a single one? We've had people that worked at dealers that said they haven't invalidated because of a tune.

An ECU tune is very difficult to resell.
And based on for sale threads, so are boxes (of any sort)

LA@JSPerformance.ca

darkscout said:

Ahh, the warranty red herring. Why is it if all these people have their warranties invalidated we haven't heard of a single one? We've had people that worked at dealers that said they haven't invalidated because of a tune.

And based on for sale threads, so are boxes (of any sort)
Void warranty does not mean dealer has cancelled the warranty it also means expired/ no more/ finished warranty/ warranty period over ect.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You are using the wrong terminology. This "box" does nothing to change throttle response. It does modify the pedal position to power output curve. Throttle response refers to the engine's response to ECU inputs, the latter refers to the ECU's response to pedal position. All you're doing is taking the 2" of pedal travel and condensing it into 1.75" (numbers are for illustrative purposes only). I have a hard time justifying the price of this incredibly simple product, thus my beef with it. You have also failed to sell me on why the product you're selling is worth the price that you're asking.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

darkscout said:
Why does the warranty need to be void to install a chip in the first place?

If I read it correctly:
1) Buy car
2) Buy tuning box during 'warranty period'
3) Warranty expires
4) Sell box, buy chip

Why not just
1) Buy car
2) Buy chip
Hurray?

It is not for you to decide how people choose to spend their money. People make educated decisions for themselves they do not need you as their baby sitter.

THIS IS NOT A TUNING BOX.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
This product is used and only compatible for the MK5 Diesel. Many of these owners do not wish to have a ECU tune (for warranty purposes) and would rather opt for more effecient throttle response - which this provides....
Forgive my ignorance, but how is it more efficient? Is efficiency gained because they have 1" less to push?

Furthermore, in the videos I saw the designer said that it is compatible with any throttle by wire car--that means that this should work in 1996+ TDIs...which means either the video is wrong or your ad. :eek:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

whiterayven

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
darkscout said:
...I then asked if this could be done with a tuning box.

That is all.
And if it can, then what does that prove?

Since you all have managed to rag on JSP for selling the Tuning boxes vs chip tuning, it seems fairly obvious that you are biased against them.

That aside what would it change if they could do it with the tuning boxes?

Also, take an intelligent look at the product itself, and ignore the vendor for a minute.

Would you all have reacted the same way if someone else had been advertising the product?

Also, so what if this can be done via an ECU tune? How easy is it to reverse the ECU tune? Could it be considered to be a DIY? Can ECU tuning be done DIY?

I am not defending the product, I wouldn't buy one after talking to some engineering students and reading some reviews.

It's not right for me. But some people might like it.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
whiterayven said:
And if it can, then what does that prove?
Then it means someone that has a tuning box or is considering buying a tuning box in the future doesn't need to buy this.

Also, so what if this can be done via an ECU tune? How easy is it to reverse the ECU tune? Could it be considered to be a DIY? Can ECU tuning be done DIY?
Yes It
Can be

Status
Not open for further replies.