Oil Change for 2005.5 Jetta TDI Photos

NoFreeRides

TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, Silver
This doesn't belong in fuels in lubricants because there is plenty of info about Oil there. This is for people with a 2005.5 Jetta TDI looking for oil, parts, info about how to change it, etc. Here's a link to a page I threw together for my new TDI oil change. https://home.comcast.net/~perrondb1/Jetta_TDI_OilChange/Index.htm

I don't really have anything against Pela tubes. I just think it's funny reading the forums about how to cut the tube just right, "I think I sucked out all the oil" remarks, etc.

I opted to drain it from the oil pan so I wouldn't have to wonder if all the oil was drained. Hope the photos and links to filter part #'s and oil help.

Dan :)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
ummm... the pela people know how much they get out, since there are markings on the container :) it's a 6L container. i normally will get out about 4.5L (max capacithy being 4.7 or 4.8 i forget exactly). so i will pour in 4L, let the car idle for a minute, double-check level, and then put in the remaing ~1/2L.

as for the oil, i think everyone (except maybe a couple people who question the 505.01 requirement) is in agreement that for PD engines you need 505.01 VW approved oil, or 506.01 for extended OCI. the main debates are whether the oil is actually on VWs 505.01 list, and not just a statement of the oil manufacturer. and i don't think, as far as i know, that AMSOIL 505.01 is on VWs list! so even though it *probably* is fine, you're voiding your warranty. personally, with all the options out there, i wouldn't chance it.

i really don't see where you get some of your ideas of what "the pela tube folk" people say and how they quibble over "4.523" quarts. perhaps you're referring to the few people who have had problems getting the pela to work right and haven't been able to suck out as much as they should. you really can only estimate it to the nearest 10th at best anyways. if you're draining and then pouring 5quarts back in you're more than likely somewhat over-filling your engine...

it's obvious you've never used a pela... you say you have nothing against them, but all you do silly/snide remarks about it and the people who use them...

kickaha

TDI
(soon) 2006 Jetta, spice red, pkg 1
NoFreeRides,

Political land-mines aside, thanks for the pictures. I plan to get a Pela for my Jetta (insert smiley here)*, but I do appreciate your effort to document the process.

*I don't do smileys...

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I recently did my 5000 mile oil change from the bottom, and it was easier than the mk-4. The entire belly pan comes off easily with the bolts removed. I couldn't get the front of the belly pan off on the mk-4, necessitating a length of gutter to get the oil into the drainpan. It might take 20 minutes longer to change, but I like to check CV boots and other parts hidden by the belly pan. I was impressed by the compact size of the DSG transmission. I do wonder why the filter design was changed from the mk-4, the placement is the same, the filter and cap are different. By the way, there was a post about a copper washer on the drain plug needing to be changed every oil change, and mine had a steel washer on the drain plug. The Castrol 505.01 that I get at the dealer is in 1 liter bottles, and a liter has 54 cc more than a quart, put in 5 liters and you'll have about a pint over, which states on other posts overfilling is bad for the engine.

Last edited:

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
NoFreeRides -

I appreciate you getting into the frey here. I have used Pela-like equipment in the marine environment, but have always been a bit gunshy about using it on cars, since it has generally been so easy to get underneath them.

I am curious as to how you are quantifying getting 5.0 quarts out of the engine. Are you counting it with some device? Or, are you simply ensuring the oil level is full, then draining and refilling with 5 quarts?

If you are able to add 5 quarts AND ensure that the oil is only at the Full mark (and not above) - it sounds like you are getting more oil out of your engine than most, and this piques my interest. I tend to leave my engines with the drain plug out overnight in an effort to get the max amount of oil out of them. I am a firm believer that oil can only be as clean as it starts out, and if that means pulling the lower engine cover off to get out an extra half-quart, then I will do it.

On the flipside, if I can get the exact same amount out with a Pela, then I won't bother with the traditional route.

Mach1 - what did you find on changing your oil?

I look forward to the replies -

Rob

NoFreeRides

TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, Silver
5 Quarts

When I first got my car I checked the oil. The mark was at the top of the ball above the Max line. This caught me off guard and I immediately checked this forum. Somewhere I found that unless it is will above the Max (I think they mentioned over 1") then it isn't a problem. I wasn't satisfied with that and I went to the dealer. I looked at two more of their cars on the lots and the oil was also at the top of the ball above the Max. This seemed to be the standard and I was fine with it.

When I drained all of my oil for about 20 minutes and then filled it up again it took 5 quarts to get it to the same point that I noted above. That seemed convenient and I finished up the oil change. Can someone tell me what can happen with the oil on the dipstick being apromiately 0.3" above the max?

My car was on ramps and not on a lift. Maybe being on ramps tilts it back and helps get more oil on it. I'm not sure, but I know someone asked how I got out 5 quarts. I didn't measure what came out, but I did put 5 quarts in.

And seriously, I don't have anything again the Pela tubes. I think it's really convenient and looks like a good clean way to drain the oil. I just wanted to remove any doubt that I did everything I could to drain the oil. Without taking the oil pan cover off, draining from the drain plug was the next best option to ensuring that I did everything I could to drain all of the oil. :eek:

Also, what are the chances that Amsoil would print VW 505.01 on the oil if it wasn't VW 505.01? I'll get a letter that is approved by VW and post it on the web. Not tomorrow, but soon.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
I am not a fan of using a Pela because any solids lingering in the sump do not get evacuated by the Pela. The Pela method will leave a dirty pool of old oil in the sump. I prefer to see all of the old oil gone, instead of mixing it with the new. I am also the type who will leave the plug out for a good amount of time, just to make sure I drain as much oil out as I can. Oil is changed for 2 reasons: 1 - Oil will break down with prolonged heat and time. 2 - to remove the contaminates of combustion which are corrosive. Why not try to remove as much as possible if given the opportunity.

Another good thing about draining the oil traditionally, is that it puts you under the car and you get a chance to look around and spot other potential problems, leaks, etc, that would normally be unseen.

Last edited:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Rob, I believe I found my problem, I had the short dipstick, I added almost a whole qt. I will know for sure this week or next as I have my 20000 mile change to do. I have the 0-30W 506.01 oil ELF to do as well.

I have the pela 6000 and have used it twice so far, the first time I used it, I got all the oil; out and then went back and pulled the plug and got out 4 more oz's. So in my case its not worth the 4ozs to pull the plug.

I will have more info for everyone next week when I do my 20000 change. I will know for sure, as I will check the level before I Pela.

To the man that has the steel washer on the drain plug, it needs to be softer metal then the aluminum pan. The OEM is aluminum, they sell brass as well. A harder metal(steel) will eat into the pan. I believe you want the gasket to wear not the pan.

About the puddle in the oil pan, there will always be a puddle in the pan, there are many puddles in the cavities in the engine. There is no way we are going to get close to getting all the oil out of the engine, you just strive to get as much out and then the dilution factor comes into play. There is a huge amount in the galleries, puddling effect, coolers, turbo, lines, etc. Did I mention we cant get it all out..I would say acceptable would be somewhere around 95-98%. 98% would be real nice.

As far as the oil change, I prefer the stick the PELA and pump, walk away, come back later, change the depth of the PELA, change the filter, Pela the housing, new filter, top off oil, start engine, shutdown, recheck and retop off if needed....Done...I have done both ways, Pulling the plug is NO fun. Yes, there are things to look at under neath. I even jacked the car rear end up in the air to tilt it so I could remove more. I checked it all out and made a decision on how I will do my oil changes, Did I mention the Pela IS FOR ME?

BTW-Rob someday, lets get together and talk Jettas, drink a Shiner?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I agree...pela is the wayt to go....not having to crawl under a cramped car up on ramps, with a warm/hot engine. Just use the pela; measure the cylinder & know how much how have pulled out of the crankcase.

Tony

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
Mach1 said:
BTW-Rob someday, lets get together and talk Jettas, drink a Shiner?
That sounds like a plan Randy. I've got my 5K coming up in two weeks as well - what do you think about coordinating it for a Sunday?

Rob

Mach1

TDI
Rob, can you do a Saturday? Or even Thrusday or a Friday evening or day, would be real nice for me. I have some nice lights in the shop for light, so after hours will work. Whatever is good for you. Do you have oil, I have Mutol 5W-40 and some filters. The clear Texas nights we have been having makes for some excellent star gazing as well. I am out of the city a little ways. Tell me what you think.

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like it doesn't get any better. I think you live out in Spicewood - I had a hell of a good friend who lived out that way - know the road well.

Yeah, weekdays work for me too - if you're providing the shop, I'll bring the beer. I've also got a Topsider oil removal tool - if it doesn' work, can we try the Pela on my ride?

I'm going to go with the 505.01 for this change, but and seriously considering going to 506 for the next one, as it will by my first 10K oil interval.

Lemme know, and thanks!

Rob

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
Why would anyone want to remove oil with a blind tube is beyond me, unless laziness is the perogative. Pela tube oil removal sucks. You can never be sure. Why did the engineers put a plug there? to baffle my ability to remove it? I forgot, is righty tighty or righty loosy.. damn I cannot remember. Pela is a terrible and lazy way to change oil. Do you love your engine? Why rely on a tube that never reaches the drain plug... just my $0.02

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
TDKozan said:
Yabbut isn't that the whole idea? ;)

TK
huh? Why would you want a tube under vacuum to automatically find the lowest collection point, when an easily removeable plug will remove much more oil?

redbarchetta

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, pkg 1, 5 speed
I've yet to find any compelling reason for me to buy/use a Pela oil extractor. The skid pan is very light and easy to remove. I live in the south and have a garage to use at all times.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
redbarchetta said:
I've yet to find any compelling reason for me to buy/use a Pela oil extractor. The skid pan is very light and easy to remove. I live in the south and have a garage to use at all times.
Exactly, why go the lazy way when you can get a real oil change by doing it the right way.

Mach1

TDI
Dave, As you know, I have used the Pela, then WENT through the trouble and pulled the plug, The difference ON my TDI was 4 oz's. And that was tilting the car around on two jacks to remove as much as possible. You/anybody would have laughed their __ off watching me take 3-4 hrs to do an oil change. I wanted to know the difference for myself handsdown. There is a good basis to suggest that the Pela doesn't do it as well as draining. Want we are looking for is an acceptable removal ratio. There is no way to get it all out, too many puddles, lines, coolers, turbo. they all have residual oil in them. One of the huge differences I see is using the Pela, I dont have to get under a car on a jackstand/ramp/jack/etc. This is worth alot to me. I find it acceptable to use the Pela, the OC is backed up by oil analysis. 4oz's on 170oz is 2.X difference. I will settle for a 96% removal instead of a 98%. Heck the used oil we leave in the engine is still good anyway. To each their own.

Rob-lets do it! I am right off the highway in Spicewood(71W) Thrusdays and Fridays are good for me. 947-2957. Please bring some Shiner. I have everything, so bring what you want.

TDKozan

TDI
'06 Jetta, Reflex Silver
dieseldave2006 said:
huh? Why would you want a tube under vacuum to automatically find the lowest collection point, when an easily removeable plug will remove much more oil?

<FoghornLeghorn>It's a joke, son. Ah say, it's a joke!</ForhornLeghorn>

Sorry,

TK

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
Mach1 said:
Dave, As you know, I have used the Pela, then WENT through the trouble and pulled the plug, The difference ON my TDI was 4 oz's. And that was tilting the car around on two jacks to remove as much as possible. You/anybody would have laughed their __ off watching me take 3-4 hrs to do an oil change. I wanted to know the difference for myself handsdown. There is a good basis to suggest that the Pela doesn't do it as well as draining. Want we are looking for is an acceptable removal ratio. There is no way to get it all out, too many puddles, lines, coolers, turbo. they all have residual oil in them. One of the huge differences I see is using the Pela, I dont have to get under a car on a jackstand/ramp/jack/etc. This is worth alot to me. I find it acceptable to use the Pela, the OC is backed up by oil analysis. 4oz's on 170oz is 2.X difference. I will settle for a 96% removal instead of a 98%. Heck the used oil we leave in the engine is still good anyway. To each their own.

Rob-lets do it! I am right off the highway in Spicewood(71W) Thrusdays and Fridays are good for me. 947-2957. Please bring some Shiner. I have everything, so bring what you want.
no joke here, You would strive for 100% remove-all of all the oil. The 4 oz is full of contaminants, which goes away when pulling the plug. I do not know how to argue the point further, but you are much better off removing the plug, and letting it drain for a good time. But if you plan on selling the car soon, why worry about 4 oz.. of dirty oil mixing with new oil.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
dieseldave2006 said:
no joke here, You would strive for 100% remove-all of all the oil. The 4 oz is full of contaminants, which goes away when pulling the plug. I do not know how to argue the point further, but you are much better off removing the plug, and letting it drain for a good time. But if you plan on selling the car soon, why worry about 4 oz.. of dirty oil mixing with new oil.
Do you suck out the half quart of oil from the oil cooler?

And did I mention the Deutz Oil cooled engine that Bobcat had in their skidsteers? The oil change was less than half of the oil capacity and the OIC was twice what VW reccomends for the TDI.

With any off the shelf, Dino oil.

What I'm saying is that that little bit of oil is of zero consequence. Z-E-R-O.

And I do Bottom side oil changes.

Always.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mach1

TDI
Whitedog, do you Approve Pela oil changes? You stated you do all from the bottom, BTW-good points on the skidsteers. You can't get all 100% or even close..

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
whitedog said:
What I'm saying is that that little bit of oil is of zero consequence. Z-E-R-O.

And I do Bottom side oil changes.

Always.
Dog Dog - you've got me baffled first thing in the morning. Now how am I supposed to work?

...I should be doing my weekly operations meeting minutes......

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Mach1 said:
Whitedog, do you Approve Pela oil changes? You stated you do all from the bottom, BTW-good points on the skidsteers. You can't get all 100% or even close..
Looking for approval from me? Well, I guess. I have seen people do them and they get out lots of oil and then they suck out more from the oil cooler via the oil filter housing. They get more out than just draining from the pan and it's easier.

Like others, I like to roll under and check it all out though and spend some time bonding with the car.

Sometime the bonding experience will shorten when I get a skidplate and make sure it has a hole to drain the oil. Pulling the plastic is a PITA.

If I were in a hurry and didn't have ramps and someone had an extractor, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
whitedog said:
Sometime the bonding experience will shorten when I get a skidplate and make sure it has a hole to drain the oil. Pulling the plastic is a PITA.
quote]

Which begs the question - would it not be easier to do a bottom oil change by drilling an oblong hole in the bottom of the belly pan. Long enough to account for the oil stream at both high and low flow, and wide enough to accomdate a socket?

This still leaves the visual inspection of the axle/brake/front end assembly out of the equation though.

Rob

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Hey guys,
Since my TDI is my first new car with manufacturer's warranty, I just wonder, does doing oil change yourself void your warranty?

I really love to do it myself since I did all oil changes on my oild gaseline car....

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
With all the debate here, why doesn't someone come up with a valve that comes off the oil pan and a hose attached so the belly pan does not have to be removed. Easy oil changing at less than the cost of a Pela. My John Deere diesel tractor has this setup, I pull the attached hose out, put it into a pan, turn the valve, and out comes the oil without ever climbing under the tractor. It would be possible to do the same on our TDI's with a little planning. The only benefit of the Pela is convience, and what could be more convient than pulling out a hose, turning a valve and the job is done? By the way, my drain plug washer may be aluminum, I will check for magnetism next oil change, but I was commenting on a thread previously posted about copper washers on the drain plug. Steel washers shouldn't destroy the aluminum oil pan, if you have any gas engines, car,mower,etc with aluminum heads and they use sparkplugs, if they are not tapered seat plugs, they have a steel washer on them.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
/With all the debate here, why doesn't someone come up with a valve that comes off the oil pan and a hose attached so the belly pan does not have to be removed. Easy oil changing at less than the cost of a Pela. My John Deere diesel tractor has this setup, I pull the attached hose out, put it into a pan, turn the valve, and out comes the oil without ever climbing under the tractor. It would be possible to do the same on our TDI's with a little planning. The only benefit of the Pela is convience, and what could be more convient than pulling out a hose, turning a valve and the job is done? By the way, my drain plug washer may be aluminum, I will check for magnetism next oil change, but I was commenting on a thread previously posted about copper washers on the drain plug. Steel washers shouldn't destroy the aluminum oil pan, if you have any gas engines, car,mower,etc with aluminum heads and they use sparkplugs, if they are not tapered seat plugs, they have a steel washer on them./

Couple of things here, there is a valve, the fumoto, I do use them in other applications, Its easy to cut a hole in the shroud/belly pan. For the inexperienced, there are a couple accounts of people running off ramps, cars falling, etc. I, myself dont care to be under a vehicle on ramps, stands, jacks, the more times the better chances getting hurt or doing damage to the vehicle. I dont mind on the Ford diesels and really push the fumoto because you can do oil change WITHOUT elevating the truck. Steel washers will take out aluminum, which brings up another point, how many you guys torquing your drain plug after you remove it? how much torque? Is that an solid aluminum washer on the spark plugs or is it a crush type washer..Lets compare apples to apples.

Dog has a good thought, that while you are in there, you can sometimes extract more fluid by going up the lines and coolers. Which alot of people wont even evacuate the filter housing. Convience is a huge plus. But then bonding with ones vehicle is a plus.

I understand and experiment and I find the best/cost effective way though experimentation, dont guess, which WORKS for me. If I dont understand it/experience it for myself then I am not convinced. I change more filters in a month then an average person does in his life. You could even say I make my/both livings at changing filters. If you think its critical to changing filters on a vehicle, you should try changing filters in a semi-conductor fab, one piece of contaiminate can take out a fab for years. And cost billions of dollars. Talk about having to be ANAL about your work.
Good luck.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
since now this is essentially another top vs bottom side thread... to all those who knock the pela, you're missing out. try it, i bet you get more oil out with the pela than draining. this has of course all been discussed before, but i think "sludge" on the bottom of the oil pan is a myth in our cars. if you have "sludge" your car is in trouble! maybe in older cars and big machines i could see. the pela is not for those who are "lazy". it's an easier, cleaner, faster way to change your oil. it's ideal for our TDIs where the filter is sitting right on top. you can check your cv joints and other stuff underneath the car any old time. i'm planning on keeping my TDI running to 500k miles and beyond, so i am very concerned about maintaining it properly. i use the pela, and.... *not* lazy (at least when it comes to my car)...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Has anyone had any success sucking the oil out on a B5? I don't use a Pela but have a fancier shop-air powered extraction cylinder. Works great on the transverse-engined cars with my copper tube, but I cannot get it all the way down on the B5. I think it is because of the goofy shape of the oil pan.

I would gladly suck it out since the B5's belly pan is pretty time-consuming to remove, even though I have it up in the air at work. Which leads me to another question: for those of you that don't like to get under the car every 10k, don't you ever rotate your tires???*

*I'd still suck the oil out of my A4 car if I had one, as it would have a skidplate securely installed as after about 30 oil pan replacements on customers' cars I feel this accessory is manditory.:cool: