remote starter no fob

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
Its always interesting to try and figure out what a previous owner was thinking. so it turns out that the 2015 jetta tdi i just bought was also equipped with an aftermarket remote start, but then the car was returned to vw as part of dieselgate, there is no fob for the remote start.

I have no use for a remote starter, so want to remove it , can i just unplug all the wires and pull it out? there is also a vw key wired to this thing, probably to provide the security ...

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Some remote start use a series of buttons on the standard remote. I woould google the name brand of the remote start to see what you can find or check the car fax to see if it shows what shop installed the remote start and then ask what kind they install.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
Salesman said it was missing the fob and has a key fob wired to the unit so its not one of the newer x3 type units, carfax shows no record of any service other than selling dealer.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
You may have to find the controller for the brand and model number.
Probably under the dash somewhere.
I prefer Bing.com for my searches. :)

velcro

TDI
'13 jetta tdi
hi, most likely u can just disconnect the remote starter module (just remove jacks/plugs, don 't cut the plugs off - bare wire will cause u losts of grieve or a fire), their is probably a bypass module installed their two, just disconnect it also. look for the antenna on the windshield for possible maker of the remote starter. odds are it doesn't use the vw factory keyfob to start, that a pretty recent design that came out.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
I got it disconnected. but want to totally remove the unnecessary wiring, real piss0ff because they cut the factory wiring and solder the connections, and there is a half a key fob still wired up. i'll get it all out eventually

velcro

TDI
'13 jetta tdi
I wouldn't touch the wiring soldered to the stock wiring now. the wires connected to the ignition harness (thicker gauge wires require much more heat (bigger soldering pencil) to unsolder, you'll possibly melt more of the insulation on the factory wires, the area where soldered won't flex much more if all more due to soldering, so no real improvement there, and if they cut the wires in 2 to solder them, once u unsolder them, harder to resolder them back nicely, meshed & twisted together for a strong bond, then soldered - hard to do with the heavy gauge wires, once previously soldered. the heavy gauge wires are most important for the proper solder job & either heatshrinked, wrapped with tape to ensure no abrasive shorts. so I would leave it if it's not your forte.