Purchase Advice

HardNox

TDI
2012 Gold Tdi (sold)
I apologize in advance if this is not posted in the correct forum, but I didn't see a more pertinent option. If there's a location more suitable or has similar information, please direct me.
I'm a former 2012 Golf TDI owner. I loved the car, but sold it because of a financial situation. Unfortunately it was right before the scandal broke, so it was hardly beneficial. Regardless, I got rid of the car, and now I'm in the market for another.
I'm looking to buy a 2011-2014 MK6 Golf or Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I want a Golf because it's lighter, more nimble and quicker than the SW. I want a SW for it's extra utility/space. I also love it's exterior design.
My plan is to add tasteful mods to either - Lowered Suspension, Chip, Exhaust and minor cosmetic touches.
With all this being said, here are my questions.
With said mods done to the SW, how will it's handling and power compare to the Golf (with same mods). Is it much more bulkier and cumbersome through turns? Is it it a lot less faster acceleration wise? Is it less "fun" to drive?
My want is to buy a SW IF it retains similar driving characteristics of the Golf. I don't want to sacrifice performance, for the sake of a little more space/utility I'll get in the SW.