96 Passat Window Track Guides, Front

SSmike1

TDI
96 Passat TDi
Hello, I have a 96 Passat TDi with 300K miles. The front windows will fall out of the Vertical Front Window Guide inside the door, when rolled more than half way down.
I have replaced the Window Regulators, and it still does this,...
because the Front Door Metal Window Guides have some sort of Guide Material, looks like Felt?, that has Worn away, and lets the window come out.
Any idea how I can fix this?
thank you
super bike mike
:)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If the channel guides are still there, use a little weatherstrip adhesive and tack them in, so they don’t fall out.

Reach in and pull the metal channel towards the rear of the car. Try the windows again.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None of my cars have that clip and the windows work fine. I just hexed myself....

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Heh heh heh....yep.

They can work without the clip in place, but the window can shift and come out of the track when in the very down position, then fall forward. I can't tell you how many of those I've replaced over the years.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any idea if the clip is ambidextrous? I think I have one in the shed, but never bothered putting it in, because I don’t have issues.

The one I had in the car snapped because it was brittle, but I’m curious if anyone here has a 3D printer... from what I recall, there is a metal U piece in there, but it’s been years.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
My clip came off too...can't figure out how to get it to stay on the regulator...I made my own clip and seems to have solved the problem...

BTW, I have never been able to find those clips anywhere...the replacement regulators don't come with them either...even though they are pictured with the end clip???

carlentini

TDI
1996 Passat
Hi, All -- I was able to get a window clip for my "new" '96 Passat from autopartmaster.com. From what I can tell, the main warehouse is in Latvia and the shipping facility is in Ukraine, but don't let that throw you off: the customer service was excellent and the part arrived as advertised and fit as expected. Since you're ordering from a faraway land, it'll take a bit of patience (with shipping time and working with your credit card company to make sure your payment goes through), but overall, I'd say it's definitely worth the effort.