www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 20th, 2020, 21:19   #1
90_zeros

Default Black Haze Workshops downpipe?

Hi all, hoping someone has experience with Black Haze Workshops and can chime in on their quality? I ran across this downpipe while looking for a more reasonable alternative to the well known options.

https://blackhazeworkshop.com/en/par...pf_delete.html

I have to say the quality looks good, and note that the price is in moose dollars, so in reality this kit works out to around $470 or so after shipping. I reached out and the shop confirms that they include midpipe, clamps, hardware, and egr blanking plates. Seems like a great deal.

Anyone have anything to add before I take the plunge?
90_zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:33   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That looks like a quality downpipe. I like how they use a tapered reducer instead of the typical turbulence inducing reducer. Profidiesel has one that's quite a bit cheaper.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 21:10   #3
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
That looks like a quality downpipe. I like how they use a tapered reducer instead of the typical turbulence inducing reducer. Profidiesel has one that's quite a bit cheaper.
Oof wow that is cheaper. The one you recommend is under $300 shipped. That's nuts. Thanks for tip, but that being said, do you think this BHW do would be worth the extra $150? I, like you, really like the tapered reducer. Their in house collector looks exceptional too. Someone help me, I'm looking at downpipes and also looking At a Q5 TDI, seriously please help lol.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 01:34   #4
JordanLee

TDI(s): 2014 GSW

I would personally stay away from the Profidiesel DP. I purchased a DP from TDIUpgrades on eBay out of GA and received some terrible customer service. At the time, he had the cheapest CJAA downpipes available and I bit the bullet. Unbeknownst to me, his kit doesn’t include the mid pipe connector to the stock muffler. There was literally like a 12-14’’ section missing. You couldn’t even bolt up the stock NOx cat back up because it was a flange to slip fit connection issue. When I complained I was met with a “Well that’s all that’s show in the pics, and its listed as a downpipe, not a full kit” I should’ve just went with the Buzzken at the time.

Upon further review, TDIUpgrades just uses Profidiesel parts and flips them for a massive profit stateside. Read up their vendor testimonials here on the forums. No knock against Profidiesel themselves but for this specific product, it doesn’t jive with North American CJAA muffler lengths.

That BHW DP looks badass because A) Its 3’’ and B) Made in Canada
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 01:55   #5
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
I would personally stay away from the Profidiesel DP. I purchased a DP from TDIUpgrades on eBay out of GA and received some terrible customer service. At the time, he had the cheapest CJAA downpipes available and I bit the bullet. Unbeknownst to me, his kit doesn’t include the mid pipe connector to the stock muffler. There was literally like a 12-14’’ section missing. You couldn’t even bolt up the stock NOx cat back up because it was a flange to slip fit connection issue. When I complained I was met with a “Well that’s all that’s show in the pics, and its listed as a downpipe, not a full kit” I should’ve just went with the Buzzken at the time.
great to know. RT and BK are out of the question for me. I know what these DPs cost to produce. I don't deny their quality but I won't pay those prices. A downpipe for my old STI was around $300. Rare model or not, 3" stainless costs the same everywhere. Anywayyy...

Quote:
Upon further review, TDIUpgrades just uses Profidiesel parts and flips them for a massive profit stateside. Read up their vendor testimonials here on the forums. No knock against Profidiesel themselves but for this specific product, it doesn’t jive with North American CJAA muffler lengths.

That BHW DP looks badass because A) Its 3’’ and B) Made in Canada
What are the odds of it being made of melted down loonies? I'm JK. I agree it definitely looks like the best bang for the buck. No help talking me out of the Q5 btw lol
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:39   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

If a vendor sells a downpipe and advertises as just a downpipe, you shouldn't expect it to come with a midpipe. The only thing I don't like about the blackhaze downpipe is it doesn't appear to have an O2 sensor bung or mounting tabs.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 04:10   #7
90_zeros

Quote:
If a vendor sells a downpipe and advertises as just a downpipe, you shouldn't expect it to come with a midpipe. The only thing I don't like about the blackhaze downpipe is it doesn't appear to have an O2 sensor bung or mounting tabs.
good call. I did not notice until you mentioned it. Can have that put in for a few bucks I suppose. Still cheaper than RT . I will ask if they can do it
Old May 22nd, 2020, 22:23   #8
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90_zeros View Post
I know what these DPs cost to produce. I don't deny their quality but I won't pay those prices. ... 3" stainless costs the same everywhere.

How much do they cost to produce? How much do you value a welder/fabricator/pipefitter's time, investment in equipment and experience?

What alloy of stainless? BK and RT use different alloys, for instance (different weld processes too). Where is the piping coming from -- are there tariffs involved importing from that country, do they have consistently high QA and QC standards? Is it off a quarantine/scrap pile... IE possibly contaminated? Does it come with MTRs and other applicable paperwork to ensure traceability?

A lot of variables go into piping fabrication. That's mainly just from the labour and materials procurement end of things.

Fitment is a whole other ball park. As is weld integrity.

- 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #BertanCummins
- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 22:25   #9
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90_zeros View Post
good call. I did not notice until you mentioned it. Can have that put in for a few bucks I suppose. Still cheaper than RT . I will ask if they can do it

Would also be interested to know if they'll add that in for a reasonable cost (if at all).

I also notice they don't show any exhaust hangars.

I'm in the market as well. My extended emissions warranty expires in an oil change and a half.

- 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #BertanCummins
- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar

Last edited by PRY4SNO; May 22nd, 2020 at 22:30.
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 02:44   #10
JordanLee

TDI(s): 2014 GSW

Quote:
Yes but when a vendor states the pipe mates to an OEM cat back and is 100% plug and play. That’s also a different story. The fact that it was impossible to even Jerry rig the set up to connect the two pipes together with a 14” gap to get home from the shop is inexcusable.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 03:36   #11
thatwhitejsw

TDI(s): MK6 JSW TDI

I would happily pay Rawtek's prices. Personally I'll be going with Buzzken when I do my delete after my emissions warranty is up. But I believe Rawtek is a great company and they stand behind their products. From what I've seen/read they have great customer service and they have high quality parts.
thatwhitejsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 06:09   #12
tjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwhitejsw View Post
I would happily pay Rawtek's prices. Personally I'll be going with Buzzken when I do my delete after my emissions warranty is up. But I believe Rawtek is a great company and they stand behind their products. From what I've seen/read they have great customer service and they have high quality parts.

I've bought from Rawtek twice. They're fantastic.
tjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 07:09   #13
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Can't say that I'm a huge fan of the Black Haze Workshop name. I suppose it's better than Kiddie Kancer Pipes unlimited or F the govt, dare them to shut us down.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 18:47   #14
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
How much do they cost to produce? How much do you value a welder/fabricator/pipefitter's time, investment in equipment and experience?

What alloy of stainless? BK and RT use different alloys, for instance (different weld processes too). Where is the piping coming from -- are there tariffs involved importing from that country, do they have consistently high QA and QC standards? Is it off a quarantine/scrap pile... IE possibly contaminated? Does it come with MTRs and other applicable paperwork to ensure traceability?

A lot of variables go into piping fabrication. That's mainly just from the labour and materials procurement end of things.

Fitment is a whole other ball park. As is weld integrity.
Well I apologize for striking a nerve, suffice it to say we disagree about the spirit of this, and that's fine. Not looking for a fight, just not looking to pay $1k plus S/H for a pipe that is readily available for 1/3 the cost on nearly any other turbo platform. I recognize their quality, I do not recognize their value. Big difference, and I hope they understand I mean no offence. I am not their market.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 18:54   #15
90_zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRY4SNO View Post
Would also be interested to know if they'll add that in for a reasonable cost (if at all).

I also notice they don't show any exhaust hangars.

I'm in the market as well. My extended emissions warranty expires in an oil change and a half.
I shall let you know. They are pretty responsive thus far

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwhitejsw View Post
They are quality parts, no doubt. Expensive parts, too. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the best. I just can't pay what they want. No offence to them. BK too. DS will be my choice if this BHW doesn't work out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg View Post
I've bought from Rawtek twice. They're fantastic.
I don't doubt it. I can't afford it. I have other mods I want to buy, namely a fuel pump. No sense wasting my mod budget on pipes. It's just my feelings on it.

Quote:
Can't say that I'm a huge fan of the Black Haze Workshop name. I suppose it's better than Kiddie Kancer Pipes unlimited or F the govt, dare them to shut us down.
They can call it Seal Clubber's Unlimited if they make good parts for good prices