www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 19th, 2020, 07:41   #16
spepin

When I bought my CPO yesterday, I asked the dealer to provide a printout of all the service history at that dealership, which shows all the work they performed as part of the CPO inspection/repairs. While technically this "could" be faked just like running down the CPO checklist, at least it's part of the service history, and should be covered by a VW repair warranty vs. the extended CPO warranty with the $50 deductible.
spepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 11:28   #17
Uno’15TDi

Default Dealer service requirements for CPO TDI resale

I recently purchased my 2015 36k Golf SEL from an independent dealer in Boise, ID that I found on the inner-web. Did all the buying via phone. They had great pictures and anything I wanted taken they sent to me. Price and options (has everything, including the parking sensors ) were spot on at $16.5k(similar cars across the country listed at $18.9k).

My point that want to get to is that I called a local dealer in LA that pulled the VIN info for me. They read the complete service history to me over the phone. I even found out that the original owner purchased a service warranty/contract.That along with the Carfax gave me enough courage to plop down a deposit and fly up to finish up the sale.

We all know that Carfax doesn’t always tell the truth (or the whole story) so getting that local dealer to give me the vin background was essential.

On the test drive I pulled the dip stick and wiped it clean in order to look at the oil color and residue. That oil was definitely changed recently(but was it the right oil for the DPF is the question).

Even though they stated it had oil/filter/air change I redid everything once I got back to LA.
Went online and ordered an oil &filter kit(Liqui Molly) The interior air filter was not changed(said it was), did that as well.

Mine was originally brought in/purchased in Seattle so I was expecting to see a little aluminum corrosion (which there is). But it was stored in a place that had a lot of dust(This is probably is what’s causing my belt tensioner to squeak pre-maturely).

Most Southern California cars found at the dealers were stored in a desert storage facility in San Bernardino(look it up on the innerweb). My car coming from Boise was stored where there was severe blowing winds and thin red mud(on the under belly and wheel wells).

I would pull the dipstick and look at the oil while doing the test drive. I would get a service person to give a VIN history. I would want to know which oils were put into the car to know if they conform.

You are allowed to get a second opinion on your purchase. Take it to a trusted independent before purchasing. Walk the car look for repaint. Have it put on a lift and look underneath. Like others have said, people will shortcut for the profits(I’ve worked at a car lot). An informed buyer can/will make better decisions.

An interesting read: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...auto-boneyards

Last edited by Uno’15TDi; January 19th, 2020 at 22:35.
Uno’15TDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 15:20   #18
johncalhoun

Took to local dealer, got the heater core replaced and another bad wheel sensor. All good, except, having front end alignment issues. Obviously, CPO didn't check this well, local VW dealer did alignment, but said still pulling a little to the right and they say only additional frame adjustment would fix it. Got to be kidding me.. plus another $200 to do that.
johncalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 09:22   #19
GoThingNC

I lucked out.

2012 Golf I picked up last year was a single owner and serviced since new at the local dealership. It was stored in the back for only 5 months.

Scary part was the GPS and blue tooth phone directory still had the address and phone number of the original owner. I was thinking about playing a prank by dropping off the car in the driveway with a note that VW decided to return the car and wants the restitution back, LOL

In the glovebox was the paperwork detailing the recent CPO service that was performed 2 weeks prior to my purchase:

Air Filter
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
DSG Service
Brake Fluid Change
New Tires

82 911 Targa - Rose Wood
05 Jetta GLI PG
11 Sportwagon - TB
GoThingNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 09:30   #20
Scooby24

The vast majority of these cars are trashed and as has been said, it's very dealer dependent on what they will take care of.

Mine was on the lot and not yet certified so I purchased and waited patiently for them to complete my own requirements (40k service + DSG fluid exchange) and the CPO requirements. In the end, the dealer themselves dished out around 2500 in repairs from what I demanded plus what was required of the CPO.

On top of that still, though, I have paid 230 for PDR to fix what they attempted and screwed up, as well as 250 on two very bent wheels they didn't address and got an alignment for free from a friend because the toe was badly out on the left rear.

And this was the BEST one I found out of 20 or so I looked at. So...if you are a perfectionist and looking at a CPO...you're probably in for some headache.

Last edited by Scooby24; January 22nd, 2020 at 09:32.
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:11   #21
Uno’15TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncalhoun View Post
Took to local dealer, got the heater core replaced and another bad wheel sensor. All good, except, having front end alignment issues. Obviously, CPO didn't check this well, local VW dealer did alignment, but said still pulling a little to the right and they say only additional frame adjustment would fix it. Got to be kidding me.. plus another $200 to do that.

In the past I purchased a Prius CPO with alignment issues... the dealer never did fix the issue. I ended up having to put a shim on it myself. Torsion bar rears will sometimes get twisted on shipment due to the car being over tightened to the truck/ship during transport. I found a alignment guy that had an alignment machine set up to use ‘EZ Shims’. For the torsion rears this is a great option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uno’15TDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 16:44   #22
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

My 2015 had 50k miles on it by the time I got it home from the independent dealer I bought it at in TN. And while the Carfax showed a service entry every 10k from the same VW dealer...I went and changed the oil, did the DSG service, brake fluid, and every filter (then the engine air filter at 60k). I figured the ~$600 was worth the peace of mind to make sure everything was caught up and fresh. The brakes and rotors are fine, and the fronts are still at 6mm as of today (70k).

The original battery was replaced with an Interstate at some point (my guess, the independent dealer). The car also had the original tires on it, that unsurprisingly, were aged to hell from sitting. The first pothole I hit in Connecticut caused one to blow; so another $700 on new tires that I would have spent anyway.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; January 25th, 2020 at 16:46.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2020, 17:49   #23
johncalhoun

Just took a 250 mile trip and driving daily to work. Very pleased with the vehicle. Front end still pulling right some, but I'm managing it for now. 42.5 mpg on last tank. Overall very satisfied with purchase.
Old February 21st, 2020, 12:26   #24
Racin4ds

I just bought a 2013 Passat TDi SE that was a buyback CPO, and being a mechanic I verified everything on the checklist was done. Kudos to my Ocala Florida Dealer because they did it all. I bought my car with 40k miles on it for $10,700 it had all new tires, all new brakes and rotors, fresh oil change, new fluids and filters, full DEF, Full of fuel and they even did the 40k mile DSG service. Overall I'm very happy with the deal. Got a couple nicks and scratches in the paint on the rear bumper that I'm trying to get them to give me factory matched touch up for now.
Old February 21st, 2020, 13:54   #25
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Really Nice! Sounds like a good deal
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2020, 07:17   #26
smilner01

I just bought a CPO 2014 Passat SEL Premium with 38k miles for $13k + TT&L and got the 0% for 5 years. Was a pleasant transaction at the dealership too. Only thing is I am trying to get a link or paper CPO warranty and the dealership has not provided and kinda act like they don't have the documents. I did a chat with VW customer service and they confirmed that the VIN is a CPO car but then directed me to the dealership for the warranty literature. I took a screen shot of the chat telling me to refer to the dealer and the dealer is "checking on that" for me. Anyone get a copy of the warranty for a CPO TDI?

Last edited by smilner01; April 24th, 2020 at 12:28.
smilner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2020, 06:13   #27
johncalhoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilner01 View Post
I just bought a CPO 2014 Passat SEL Premium with 38k miles for $13k + TT&L and got the 0% for 5 years. Was a pleasant transaction at the dealership too. Only thing is I am trying to get a link or paper CPO warranty and the dealership has not provided and kinda act like they don't have the documents. I did a chat with VW customer service and they confirmed that the VIN is a CPO car but then directed me to the dealership for the warranty literature. I took a screen shot of the chat telling me to refer to the dealer and the dealer is "checking on that" for me. Anyone get a copy of the warranty for a CPO TDI?
All I got was a CPO certified vehicle inspection and condition report. It is a checklist dealer has to use to document and repair anything required for it to qualify as CPO.
Old May 11th, 2020, 11:28   #28
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

The CPO warranty is the same as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. I.e., an extension of the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty but with a $50 deductible.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 23:24   #29
flargabarg
Veteran Member

It also does not reset the time limit on having NVH concerns fixed under warranty.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote