battery light with brand new dealer battery

jester69

Veteran Member
OK, so i have been having starting issues and even though my battery was newer it was from a chain store and I figured it didn't have enough amp hours. So I bought a new dealer battery less than an hour ago.

Long and short of it is I have a new dealer battery at 12.5 volts and with the key on but engine not started I have a check engine and battery light lit. as soon as you start the car they both go away. (alternator a ok 14.4 volts running)

there was an intermittent low voltage code but I cleared it and it hasn't returned. Now when I scan with VagCom i get no codes whatsoever.

So now I have a check engine and battery light I can't clear. It is monitoring a system that has been independently tested to be at the proper voltage.

Any ideas?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There's nothing wrong. They are supposed to be lit when the engine isn't running.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The CEL and battery light come on before you start as part of the lamp test, to let you know the warning lights are working properly.

-Jason

jester69

Veteran Member
puter said:
I must have misread, I thought the light was staying on.
You read right the check engine and battery CEL are remaining lit after all of the self tests have completed. I/E If you leave the key on 10 minutes they are still on. Battery and check engine. Once you start the car, they go off.

Checking the grounds etc. is a good idea but the problem started all of a sudden when none of those things had been changed.

I might have hooked up jumper cables to a loose battery backwards, is it possible I fried something in the ECU?

EDIT: it is quite possible the behavior is normal and I just never noticed before having these battery problems. if so, sorry for wasting everyones time. I sincerely think this is a new thing but i've been known to drop the ball before.

thanks,

Jester

Last edited:

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You installed a new battery. Have you found a way to change out the battery without disturbing the connections to the battery, because I think you could make some serious money on that technology :)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well stop and think for a moment. The battery light comes on when the alt isn't working. The CEL light will remain on until the engine is running. With the engine not running the alt isn't spinning, and it's not running so the CEL will be on.

If all the idiot lights go out after the engine has started you have no problems.

jester69

Veteran Member
puter said:
You installed a new battery. Have you found a way to change out the battery without disturbing the connections to the battery, because I think you could make some serious money on that technology :)
Puter, it was doing it with a previous battery too. I thought it started all of a sudden with that battery. Putting in a new battery carefully didn't change anything. I was assuming I didn't bolt two batteries in wrong ;)

Everyone is assuring me this behavior is normal leading me to believe I am not the most observant apple on the tree, hehe.

deadend: it shows 14.4 volts when car is running, so within spec anyway.

compu_85: well explained. That puts my mind at rest that I am just not remembering the way my car works even though i've had it since 2005.

thanks for everyones help with my silly little problem.

Jester

P.S. The battery I took out was on its last leg, would only start the car if the weather was 50+ degrees, so at least I didn't buy a new battery only because of my normal idiot lights, hehe.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
jester69 said:
Long and short of it is I have a new dealer battery at 12.5 volts and with the key on but engine not started I have a check engine and battery light lit. as soon as you start the car they both go away. (alternator a ok 14.4 volts running)

So now I have a check engine and battery light I can't clear. It is monitoring a system that has been independently tested to be at the proper voltage.

Any ideas?
Your battery will read about 13.5 volts after its used a while and charged up.
It lights are acting as they should as others have explained.
You ARE clearing the code when you start the engine and the alternator begins turning.