2004 Passat Remote Start/Alarm?

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
I am wanting to get a remote start and alarm for the passat. Seems to be these are special vehicles... Anyone have a functioning remote start and if so brand?

Thanx
Sam

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Why would you want a remove start on a VW TDI? Takes forever for them to warm up when idling. As for an extra alarm on top of the factory one......well the car is too old for anyone to steal it. :)

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
Well a few reasons... First, diesels do best with proper lubrication. That is best achieved with warmed oil. I prefer to let my cars idol for 5-10 minutes prior to driving them. I like accomplishing that from the comfort of inside. Second, I enjoy music and will be installing some things I have laying around. It'll likely add 2-300 pounds to the vehicle that I prefer stay in the Passat. Thirdly, I occasionally purchase things or carry things that I like. I also prefer those items to stay in the vehicle. An alarm helps accomplish that.

So any suggestions?

Sam

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You do not want a remote start... it is bad to let the car sit and idle.

The car left the factory with both an alarm system and an immobiliser.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
... First, diesels do best with proper lubrication. That is best achieved with warmed oil. I prefer to let my cars idol for 5-10 minutes prior to driving them. I like accomplishing that from the comfort of inside. ....
I agree with oilhammer, idling is not good. All it does is leave soot in areas of your exhaust system you don't want. Plus, diesel engines will never warm up properly while idling even for 10 minutes. This cold engine would in turn would lead to more contaminants in engine oil. It is better to get the engine up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. I usually start my car, wait no longer than a minute, then drive away. Heated seats are your friend here.

What's interesting is when I visit my relatives in rural Colorado during the winter, they live in a higher elevation then the nearest town. When I go to the nearest town in the morning, I can drive twenty miles and 1/2 hour going down hill and my car will not warm up. Once I make it to flat land the car finally makes it to operating temperature. It just needs a load on the motor to properly warm up.

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
Thank you... Idling for short periods of time is not bad for engines. Most modern diesels are programmed to high idle when ambient temperatures drop. This serves the dual function of warming oil and preventing soot (coke) build up. I am surprised that is not offered with custom tuning for the TDIs. I am also surprised with the antithetical approach to questions regarding modifications on a car forum. But appreciate the input all the same.
I will update when I get one installed and the details.
Sam

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your question of a remote start installation suggests you want to let the engine idle for much longer than a short period of time.

Unless of course you just want to be able to start the car as you walk towards it, from 25 feet away, in which case it would seem a whole lot of effort for nothing.

It is not good to let the engine idle cold. It will not warm up, and you WANT it to get warm as quickly as possible. Read the manual.

Tow trucks, ambulances, and other vocational commercial applications will have different engine management strategies to deal with idle time, but that is more for WARM idle time, not cold, and not applicable to your Passat.

Get in, start it, drive off slowly, and it will be perfectly happy. I bought one of those cars brand new.... 14 years and 205k miles later, it is still rockin'. It has never cold idled for more than whatever time it takes to buckle my seat belt and make sure the mirrors are adjusted properly. Neither have any of my other TDIs.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I am surprised that is not offered with custom tuning for the TDIs. I am also surprised with the antithetical approach to questions regarding modifications on a car forum. But appreciate the input all the same.
Sam
Sorry the collective wisdom here is not giving you the answer you want. Similar to your other post where there was a long list of modifications you want to do, (but frankly don't improve the car relative to the effort required,) there were a lot of responses of why not to do the upgrades.

The immobilizer/alarm system in these cars is very robust. As noted earlier, a frostheater is much more effective than letting the car idle in an effort to warm it up.

As OH has said numerous times, these car stock out of the box, were a great platform. I have owned a Passat B5/B5.5 in one form or another since 1999. I have bought numerous Passats with the modifications you are wanting to do to yours and wound up removing them, (i.e. aftermarket rims, lowering springs, aftermarket alarms, remote starts, etc.) because they didn't work as well as the factory set up or caused issues with the electrical system.

Also, I have installed a lot of stereos in these cars, and really not sure how you can stuff 300# worth of equipment in them. The simplest set up I have found is installing a Alpine/KenWood/Pioneer head unit and a JL Audio sub/amp combo. The stock Monsoon speakers do well. In fact I do have a custom JL Audio Stealthbox made for the sedan for sale. It's incredible.

Anyway, bottom line is, we are trying to help you.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
300lbs of sounds system in the trunk will make your headlights point to the sky and the car will look like a lowrider! I carry half as much in there during karting season and the car looks weird. Can't imagine what it will do with twice as much weight in there.
As I said before in your other threads, you need to do a bunch more reading before coming up with these "awesome" ideas.

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
I GET IT! No modification is needed ever.
Anyone have a functioning remote start and if so brand?
So this is the original question. It was very simple - I am seeking first hand information regarding those who have installed a remote start and alarm in a b5 passat. I did not ask for opinions on if I should or not. I was asked why I would want to do such a thing and answered. Which then was ignored and I was told again, that no modification is necessary. Although I am curious how the factory alarm will alert me inside my office if someone were to break a window (as my second post indicates is a concern).
Sorry the collective wisdom here is not giving you the answer you want.
No wisdom was provided just opinion. I appreciate the opinions, I do. But I respect facts. The fact is that diesel engines are not damaged from idling for 5-10 minutes in the morning. Idling for long periods of time can be detrimental due to coking and cylinder washing, but there has been no study, that I have read, that has demonstrated damage due to idling for 5-10 minutes before driving. I did read an interesting technical explanation by Drivbiwire though. Funny enough, the majority of the technical reasons are related to the EGR which would not be an issue if one were to lose it. Another fact, a 2-way alarm system protects the items within my vehicle better than a factory alarm. Another fact, the cost of a 2-way alarm with or without a remote start is negligible.
As I said before in your other threads, you need to do a bunch more reading before coming up with these "awesome" ideas.
I would think that my posts have demonstrated my ability to read, use the search function, etc. But perhaps it is difficult for you to see past your own... Which thank you for your opinion. But as they say, they are like... Well you know.
It is not good to let the engine idle cold. It will not warm up, and you WANT it to get warm as quickly as possible. Read the manual.
First thank you for your posts, they are informative. Yes, I know you want to get it warm and that idling will not accomplish that. Do you have any experience with a high idle tune on a VW? I plan on speaking with one of the tuners once I address the running issues in my other thread. I am probably 1 of 2 people that have posted in this thread that have actually read the manual front to back...

I've owned the passat for little over a month now and have driven it 1500 miles. By the end of December, the other issues will be fixed and I will have over 3,500 miles on it.

And to my original question, I will be installing a 2-way alarm and remote start. I will just use my default brand if no one has experience with a specific type that works better than others.

Sam

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Those responding to your questions do so from their experience and in good faith. I have driven a tdi for 11 years and done my own work. Logging half a million miles or do.

Oilhammer works on these cars every day and owns and drives them. I won’t even speculate on how many miles he has behind the wheel.

Others have driven countless miles, doing their own work and compiling their own experiences.

If you already know the answers to your questions, why ask? If you don’t like the answers you get, stop asking.

By your own admission you’ve owned this car for a month or two and logged less than 5k miles.

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
@tdijarhead - I have yet to get an answer to the question. Is it really that hard to understand?

Oil hammer: yes. In the other thread, that was brought to my attention. I even did the searching and found the historical post. I posted the link to it in for others if they read it or find it in a search. Thank you.

Sam

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dude knows everything about everything. Every idea is awesome and worth doing. No one dare to question his decisions and Passive-Aggressive is his middle name.

Wait until the transmission starts slipping, balance shaft chain goes, camshaft wears out and the "This car is a POS" comments start flooding in.

Good luck Slick, I hope the 300lb audio in the trunk will make you look cool at the local high school. :)

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
No one dare to question his decisions and Passive-Aggressive is his middle name.
Geeze, I guess I am at a loss. I apologize that my posts seem to have been passive aggressive in your mind. I don't know if it is your lack of reading comprehension, my use of grammatically correct multiple syllable words, or just your simple-mindedness... So let me break it down real simple like... I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. That is why I asked for people with first hand knowledge regarding the installation of an alarm/remote start. I do not have to justify or explain why I was seeking that knowledge - but I did. I did not ask for opinions and emphasized that repeatedly. I asked for first hand knowledge not regurgitated garbage your small mind read on the internet. You seem to be confused by that concept. So again, let me break it down real simple like.

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. You seem to be extremely loose with yours despite it stinking like a fresh pile that no one asked for...

Is that direct enough for you?

Sam

PS I am sure you are the type that likes to judge people and make asinine comments on the internet to puff up their... ego... So feel free to respond so you can have the last word. I'd hate for you to realize just how small and worthless your opinions are.