VW "new style" fuel filter design flaw?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Greetings everyone.

Upon fuel filter replacement on a few VW cars I think I have noticed a fuel filter thermostatic cartidge design flaw.

I am referring to the "new style" fuel filter, in this picture on the left side (ignore the arrow and the right side):

As we all know, the pastic has got a thermostatic valve inside. The problem is that the spring which is inside is secured by a platic pivot (if it can be called like that) which is somehow... lose.

This means that the fuel from the dirty side (coming from fuel tank) is being mixed with the clean fuel. No good, I think.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take the pcitures and I don't have a spare fuel filter canister to do some analysis.

I know folks here did a lot of research of these fuel filters. Maybe someone has got a spare fuel filter canister laying around and could post the pictures of it, as well to check if the pastic is lose and allows dirty fuel to enter the clean side?

Here's the more detailed picture of the part I am referring to (click to enlarge):

Thanks.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Huh. Makes me glad to have my cim-tek 1 micron polishing filter.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I think it is difficult to determine if something is loose or not when it is not actually installed. With the cover on and the filter in place I'm not sure that part would be loose...

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
It seems that there are several versions/designs of the fuel filter canister.
I believe all of them are different.
This particular one is manufactured by UFI.

Canned air was used to find the leak. All ports plugged and it was obvious that once you blow it to the "clean side" there's a hiss on the dirty side

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Once again, though, this isn't a proper test. Air is not fuel - air will leak by something that fuel cannot, plus, you don't know what pressure your canned air was pushing...