VW updates the Scirocco

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-volkswagen-scirocco/med/#photo-2432241

The Scirocco is undoubtedly one of the better-looking models in the Volkswagen lineup, but introduced back in 2008, it's now been on the market – some markets, anyway – for the better part of six years. VW is said to have an all-new replacement in the works, but before that arrives, the German automaker has announced a facelifted version with revised styling and a new engine lineup.

Set to be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show next month, the new Scirocco benefits from updated styling front and rear, high-tech exterior lighting, a revised cabin space with some throwback retro touches, some new technologies and, of course, an array of fresh wheel options ranging from 17 to 19 inches.

The updated Scirocco will be offered with a wide array of engines right from the get-go, including four gasoline options and two diesels, spanning from 125 horsepower all the way up to the 280-hp Scirocco R. The 2014 model hits European showrooms in August, but unfortunately isn't any more likely to make the transatlantic voyage Stateside than the version it replaces. Still interested? There's plenty to see in the high-res image gallery above and details in the press release below.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-volkswagen-scirocco/med/#photo-2432241

The Scirocco is undoubtedly one of the better-looking models in the Volkswagen lineup, but introduced back in 2008, it's now been on the market – some markets, anyway – for the better part of six years.

Re-introduced might be a better term. I still remember my old 1978 Scirocco with the single long windshield wiper. I used to call it my "Rabbit in Wolf's clothing". It is a pity that this will probably never make it stateside.

Have Fun!

Don

BeetleGo

TDI
Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is a neat car, but until they make it out of something other than unobtainium, we can only dream. :(

At first glance, though, it sure looks a lot like the Honda CR-Z.

BeetleGo

TDI
'Hammer, the Honda is a much smaller car. I have seen the current Scirocco in person. Just like the first one, it's a sportier flavored Golf. Ditch the R and give us this car!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am aware of the size of the CR-Z, I've driven them. However, in a picture, with no scale and therefor no context, they look quite similar.:cool:

And the difference in size isn't much, you probably couldn't pick it up with the naked eye if the two were parked next to one another, you'd need a ruler.

The Scirocco is about 15cm longer in the wheelbase, about 18cm longer total, and about 10cm wider. They are only about 100kg difference in weight, but much of that of course is due to the CR-Z's hybrid system's added weight.

I find this interesting, since the Corrado was often confused with the old Civic CRX to non-car-people. Of course, one glance at the price tags and you'd know they were quite different, LOL.

Last edited: