01M to 5-speed swap clutch kit question....

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Fellas,

I am new to the manual transmission scene. I am switching from an 01M to a 5-speed w/ about 84,000 miles on it. I ordered a VR6 G60 clutch kit w/ 22 lb flywheel from MJM Autohaus and am trying to line out all my other parts I will need. I also went ahead and ordered a seal for the tranny shaft input, but one of my coworkers mentioned another bearing that goes between the crankshaft and the input shaft. The clutch kit comes with a throwout bearing, but not the other one mentioned by my coworker. Is there another bearing I need to order to get this job done right the first time? Thanks!

Josh

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
CoolAirVW,

I'm glad to hear that....Sigh of relief!! Thanks fellas!

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
The Eurospec 14# G60 and Sachs VR6 clutch kit from Aaron at Bora Parts is all you need. I paid him over the phone and he had it clear across the country and to my door 2 days later. Look him up!

Edit: might be a good time to install rear main seal and re-seal oil pan as well.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I won't name a supplier, but if you redo the Rear Main, pull one of the oil-pan to RMS carrier bolts and make sure they screw into the new seal carrier. I had my old seal off before I realized the new carrier wasn't compatible (wrong bolt thread). That meant reinstalling the old seal, because I couldn't wait on the correct one to show up.

So far it hasn't leaked but we'll see what happens.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't name a supplier, but if you redo the Rear Main, pull one of the oil-pan to RMS carrier bolts and make sure they screw into the new seal carrier. I had my old seal off before I realized the new carrier wasn't compatible (wrong bolt thread). That meant reinstalling the old seal, because I couldn't wait on the correct one to show up.

So far it hasn't leaked but we'll see what happens.

Yes, I do recall that being mentioned on one of the Threads that dealt with clutch replacement I read recently. I will check mine before I get too far into it-thanks for the reminder!

pigpenracing

TDI
golf jetta
Lots of guys do this swap. Man I would think it would be cheaper and easier to sell the car and buy one with a 5 speed?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Some people also like the idea of having an engine for which they know the history, coupled with a transmission that will most likely last more than 100k miles.

pigpenracing

TDI
golf jetta
tinkering

I know the feeling. I am always tinkering to. I just hung a turbo on my Kawasaki ZRX 1200.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Some people also like the idea of having an engine for which they know the history, coupled with a transmission that will most likely last more than 100k miles.

Bloc,

That's the other part of the equation for me. I KNOW what has been done to this thing, and i'm getting it closer to where I want it to be. Better to stick with what you know rather than getting into the unknown.