B4 Oil Leak-Where's It Coming From

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
Daughter went to start 97 B4 the other morning-about 20 F. Got out to scrape windows and noted dripping large pool of oil under drivers side front and shut it off. Looked under the hood and black oil (Rotella T6) is all over driver's side above the transmission. Immediately thought of oil supply line for the turbo but a precursory inspection didn't show a hole in the line. I changed it over to a flexible stainless steel line several years ago. I am getting ready to pull it into the barn for a closer look. Anything else that could dump approximately half a gallon of oil in a short 3 minute period on that side of engine bay that I should be looking at. A head gasket wouldn't leak oil would it-just coolant?

Looked at the oil cooler on front and that seemed fairly clean-haven't been able to visualize the back side of engine closely but wasn't dripping oil so I am thinking it has to be something above the trans. Any thoughts on the culprit much appreciated.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Oil pressure sensor, in the rear of the head?

-Todd

allerickb

Atlanta to Chattanooga and all points in between
TDI
1996 Passat TDI 239K+, 2002 Sprinter CDI, 1994 F-250 7.3 IDI
Daughter went to start 97 B4 the other morning-about 20 F. Got out to scrape windows and noted dripping large pool of oil under drivers side front and shut it off. Looked under the hood and black oil (Rotella T6) is all over driver's side above the transmission. Immediately thought of oil supply line for the turbo but a precursory inspection didn't show a hole in the line. I changed it over to a flexible stainless steel line several years ago. I am getting ready to pull it into the barn for a closer look. Anything else that could dump approximately half a gallon of oil in a short 3 minute period on that side of engine bay that I should be looking at. A head gasket wouldn't leak oil would it-just coolant?
Looked at the oil cooler on front and that seemed fairly clean-haven't been able to visualize the back side of engine closely but wasn't dripping oil so I am thinking it has to be something above the trans. Any thoughts on the culprit much appreciated.
Check the 2 Oil pressures sensors that are located above the oil cooler. I had a leak for the longest time that I could not pinpoint and it ended up being both of these sensors. Remove the shroud, unplug the wires and while running the car see if oil is leaking from the body of the sensors.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If the puddle is large I would tend to blame the cooler o-ring but if the leak isn't in that general vicinity then I would suspect the oil sender on the side of the cylinder head, as others have said.

Could be elsewhere too, like the turbo oil pressure line finally rupturing too I guess.

Cylinder head can leak oil but I would think it's less common to see that.

Steve

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
Thanks for the tip to look at the oil pressure senders. I did refill with oil- approx.a half gallon! I had someone start the car while I observed the engine bay and could not find an obvious leak. The temp was in the mid 30's and on the morning of the "oil dump" it was in the low 20's. After starting the car I paid particular attention to the oil cooler which was dry as well as the oil supply line for the turbo.

Your suggestions that oil pressure senders are the culprit make sense if the colder temps on the morning of the "oil dump" caused higher than normal oil pressure on start up and therefore leaked around the oil pressure senders-they are original and twenty years old! I have never had to fool with them but imagine there is a rubber o-ring seal where they screw into the engine? I sure hope it's that and not the head gasket!

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
It’s a copper crush washer and not an oring. The washer likely is not the culprit. These leak, from where the spade terminal comes through. My gray one leaked and left a huge trail and puddle, that took a couple quarts to top off. The odd part was, it wouldn’t always leak, even when cold. When I pulled the weather boot, it was filled with oil.

I only mentioned the blue one in the head, because you said it soaked your transmission.

-Todd

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
It’s a copper crush washer and not an oring. The washer likely is not the culprit. These leak, from where the spade terminal comes through. My gray one leaked and left a huge trail and puddle, that took a couple quarts to top off. The odd part was, it wouldn’t always leak, even when cold. When I pulled the weather boot, it was filled with oil.

I only mentioned the blue one in the head, because you said it soaked your transmission.

-Todd

Ditto.