Lights gone crazy!

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Hello. Long time not being here.
This is not for a TDI but my 2011 2.5 wagon. Since most info about this car is on this forum I will try. Make the long story short.

My Front Right and Rear Tail Light stopped working.
Front Left Blinker gone
Rear Right Blinker gone
License Plate Light gone
Center and Left Brake lights are gone.

Replaced Body control Module J519 and recoded it. No avail. Still the same problem. Scanned the VCD the error says among other things that voltage is 11.2. Shouldnt it be 12. As I sit in the garage inside the car. Looks the battery started draining but I regained the front and rear right light! Any Ideas? I am doing everything possible not to take the car to the dealership.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
Found another interesting fact. The voltage on terminal 30 right is always lower than on terminal 30 left by 1 volt. Does anybody know where is terminal 30?

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
Have you checked to see if the f16 30 amp fuse is melted in the engine compartment fuse box. There was a recall for it.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys. The fuses are fine. As my battery died yesterday I jumped started the car. Let it run for 5 min. All lights and blinkers are fine except no DLR and no horn!
This is from my VCDs scan.
As the car is running the VCD advanced measuring blocksscan says:

Voltage Term 30left 13.9V
Voltage Term 30right 12.65V
Voltage Term 30refer. 13.9

Left Low Beam 76.7%
Right Low Beam 93.6%

I start wondering if there is a short somewhere that drains the voltage and everything is going heywire. Wonder if the ignition switch might be the culprit as it is one of few electro/mechanical parts in the car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, now I will third the underhood fuse box. Seriously. Common. Recalled on some models even. Dealers stock them. Cause all kinds of goofy electrical problems. Usually related to the lighting system. There was also a recall for rewiring the alarm horn for something having to do with the lights and the wipers.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Guys.

I have been studying the wiring diagrams looks like all the lights are controlled by the module J519 which I replaced. Maybe some fluctuation in voltage makes the damn thing malfunction.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
its called campaign AM97. the 30 amp fuse furthest aft in the underhood fuse box. F-16 I think. it doesn't blow, a bad crimp causes it to arc, burn and build up resistance. pull the fuse out and look at the connections.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
its called campaign AM97. the 30 amp fuse furthest aft in the underhood fuse box. F-16 I think. it doesn't blow, a bad crimp causes it to arc, burn and build up resistance. pull the fuse out and look at the connections.

I feel like a dumb ass. I previously said that the fuses were good. The light in the garage was not to good and I just saw that it was not burned out. BUT it shows signs of sparking and is partially molten. I checked my VIN # on VW site for recalls but it says that there are no recalls for the car so I guess I am going to call them tomorrow. New box is like $100.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I had the deformed f16 fuse on my '11 golf. Got a special zinc coated? fuse from the dealer. Then recently my passenger headlight and blinker quit working. I replaced the fuse block and nothing changed other than I had some new weird electrical things happen like the rear wiper going nonstop. Put the original block back in and the wiper stopped. Turns out a mouse chewed into the harness where it passes through the firewall.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I feel like a dumb ass. I previously said that the fuses were good. The light in the garage was not to good and I just saw that it was not burned out. BUT it shows signs of sparking and is partially molten. I checked my VIN # on VW site for recalls but it says that there are no recalls for the car so I guess I am going to call them tomorrow. New box is like $100.

its not a recall. VW ran the replacement "campaign" so it would not esculate to recall status.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. Looks like my problems are not entirely over. I replaced the fuse box. The car is operational with all the lights and blinkers, but the horn, the daytime running lights and the remote unlock does not work. Will the it be that the previous problems messed up something else?