Disable shift indicator

JimmyFrack

TDI
A5 2010 Jetta TDI & 2012 Sportwagen
I keep forgetting to post this question and I've searched around but there doesn't seem to be an answer. Is there a way to completely disable the shift indicator along with the gear indicator. Its petty but I really don't want to stare at it :)

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Bump for this, I am curious as well. Not important, but annoying to see the car telling me to shift into 6th at 40mph while driving up a hill...

pan a l'huile

TDI
'12 golf wagon
compu_85, I think not.

I think the info is only calculated from engine speed and actual speed.
Try this:
While cruising, change from your gear to neutral, release clutch pedal, then use fuel pedal to find whatever constant RPM value you'd choose. You'll see the shift indicator showing the gear you'd supposed to be at that speed with that RPM.

Well maybe the TCU *IS* that one doing the math though.... I don't know.

Pan

andyg75

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
it would be nice if it told you what gear you were currently in but never told you what gear it thought you should be in...

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Yeah...

I hate shift indicators in manual cars. If I needed a shift indicator, I would buy an automatic. I've had them in 3 cars I've owned or driven regularly and they're always wrong! I don't like driving around at 1000 RPM...

I'm doing my best to pretend that this one isn't there. At least it's not like my old 1995 Saab 900 Turbo where a yellow "shift up" light came on all the time on the dashboard- now that was annoying!

It would be nice to just have it display the gear you're in and nothing more, but I'd rather not have it at all.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I wonder if it is possible to turn off this shift indicator with VCDS. My '09 does not have this "feature" so I can't test this myself. My guess would be that it might be an option in instrument panel coding. However, it may not (yet?) be documented by Ross-Tech.

Have Fun!

Don

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
My 2010 doesn't have a shift indicator,which is fine by me. I hated the one on my old S-10.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Wow can't believe they put these shift lights in....reminds me of the days when i use to drive a Pontiac Sunbird...pretty much just move the car forward and it wants you to shift LOL.

Shaft

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Highline 6spd Black Pearl
But only when it agrees with the gear you are in at the time; otherwise it recommends a different gear.
Yea I hear you. Recommends the gear for efficiency purposes or regen. You can make your own judgement, however personally I like it there. For those of us that don't have a boost gauge or EGT gauge to tell when regen's are active, my shift indicator tells me otherwise.

To each their own :D

andyg75

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Yea I hear you. Recommends the gear for efficiency purposes or regen. You can make your own judgement, however personally I like it there. For those of us that don't have a boost gauge or EGT gauge to tell when regen's are active, my shift indicator tells me otherwise.

Sure! Would be nice to know if it can be manually defeated though.

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
My car always telling me to be in efficiency, even if it needs a regen. I force the regen when I'm suppose to be in 6 but I drive in 5 or etc...

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
I don't like it either. I drive a 3-pedal model because I prefer to drive my car instead of letting it drive me. I've been meaning to put a piece of black vinyl tape to just block it from my view. Unless there's an easy way to defeat it electronically...Never mind, time for tape! :)

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Is the indicator in your cars in the mfd or are they separate lights ? I do t even pay attention to it on my passat (top of mfd)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Yeah...

I hate shift indicators in manual cars. If I needed a shift indicator, I would buy an automatic. I've had them in 3 cars I've owned or driven regularly and they're always wrong! I don't like driving around at 1000 RPM...

I'm doing my best to pretend that this one isn't there. At least it's not like my old 1995 Saab 900 Turbo where a yellow "shift up" light came on all the time on the dashboard- now that was annoying!

YES!!! THIS!!! I had a '97 900 Turbo and I was on the verge of disassembling the dash and removing that particular bulb. The shift up indicator came on in the Saab at worse times than in my TDI.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I just want to know what gear its in. I drive commercial looong throw handshakers and find myself constantly going from 2nd to 5 when I drive the Golf.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I am having fun trying to figure out the algorithm it uses. It appears that throttle position is a key. If you are mashing it to the floor it just figures ok, he wants to go fast. But if you let off to some magic throttle position it says upshift. I ignore it most of the time and shift at 2000 rpm if I am going to be going faster.