60 MPG / 900 Mile Club / 1000 Mile Club

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
What should a 2015 Passat SEL TDI get mpg?
That's a loaded question...

Only thing I can say for certain is it will get better MPG than the gas version. The rest is entirely up to you - how you drive, when you drive, time of year, a/c usage, etc, etc, etc.

Jason

PS; wrong place to ask. Maybe check the Passat/NMS forum?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
WOOHOO!!! Happy dance...

Ok, so key was off. All you missed was all the warning lights as I sat filling out my log book. Speaking of which 912.2 miles on 17.101 gallons at $44.85 for 53.34mpg.

Oh, and the MFI is optimistic again,

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
So you virtually ran the tank dry by filling with 17.1 gallons, either way, good job!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, first and last time for this achievement.

A little back story - I swapped the 18s for the 15s until I get my shocks replaced. Really it's just time for a full suspension refresh. It's also my excuse to get the unsightly corrosion fixed on the BBS RCs. But after a few impressive trips commuting to work I decided to go for it.

So for the record, I'm not trying to do this again. And I did make a post about the dangers of running the fuel this low. BTW I did bring a fuel can, just in case.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I got an overall 60 mpg last year on a cross country trip. It me (one person), tires- the standard ContiProContacts - at 90% of max rated pressure. One tank of fuel I got in Arkansas on the way back seemed to yield less. I had lots of time to compare minor variances in terrain vs. mpg out in West Texas. Cruise control will push mpg downward compared to an educated approach of using your foot. Also, I'm not completely convinced air conditioned driving with windows up will give better mpg than windows down. Maybe it has to do with how far the windows are down.
Presently looking to go to slightly taller tires (225-50 instead of stock 225-45) - 11mm difference in radius - but lower engine rpm at highway speeds. Plus, they will be low rolling resistance (LRR) and higher pressure - 51 instead of present 44. I'll continue with 90% of maximum.
Fingers crossed.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Just took a road trip this weekend to Michigan Upper Peninsula. When I left I had no intention of going for a record tank. It wasn't until I hit 290 miles into the tank and I was just under the first 1/8 mark from the top that I knew something good was happening. The weather was just right that I could run with the windows up, sun roof cracked, and no AC most of the day. When I got to 870 miles i got really nervous about making the 1000 mark, because my fuel light turned on. I decided to stop and get exactly 2 gallons of fuel, just so I would not run out. I knew that stopping at my local station would put my total tank distance at ~1015, and didn't want to risk running it out.

Good thing I stopped for those 2 gallons.

Total distance = 1013 miles
Total Fuel used - 17.071 Gallons
Trip MPG = 59.34

I think I will actually try on my next weekend road trip.

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Never thought I'd be posting here, I just thought 900/tank was unrealistic -- which it almost is. lol... After netting decent mileage (with effort) at about the 300 mile mark I really started focusing my efforts on doing better. I definitely learned some things and think 950 or more is possible. Fuel light came on at 838.x and hearing others say they go 75 more miles once the light came on, I decided to go for it -- with 1.5 gallons in a portable tank in the trunk, you know, just in case...

I really really wanted to net 60 mpg for the tank but just missed it at 59.2. I know it's possible, but I just don't feel like driving slower than grandma moses again so soon. I did half this tank at wee hours on Kentucky byways in a 55 zone and half with a passenger, dog and luggage.

Notables:
Malone stage 3 tune (stock turbo) EGR delete and other mods i don't know about.
Lowered 2 or so inches, which I am not a big fan of!
Conti ECO tires aired up to 40.
Added 12oz TCW3 ashless 2 stroke oil accidentally instead of normal 8.
Added 6oz PS Diesel Kleen.
And lots of coffee drank for this duration! ha

Happy New Year and Happy motoring!

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
driving slower takes more patience and nerve than you would ever think. just to see the driver on your tail makes you want to speed up..... but, who gave THEM the authority to tell YOU how to drive? i see it all the time. makes me wonder as to how much time are they really saving and are they using that time saved to accomplish a goal?

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
Driving slow is the way for maximum fuel economy. If driving slow, windows down are far better than A/C. I drove (1.5 years ago) from Sedona, AZ to Austin, TX (1122 miles) on one tank of fuel in my ALH. It was August! Hot as hell and did not run the A/C. However it came out to 68.5 miles per gallon. I'll never do it again.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
deejaaa,
They usually save no time. every morning I get passed by the same truck in the same area. he's doing 70, im doing 55 in a 55. I catch up to him 5 miles later sitting at a red light and pass him when it turns green. I don't understand how he doesn't notice me pass him every morning at the light.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
deejaaa,
They usually save no time. every morning I get passed by the same truck in the same area. he's doing 70, im doing 55 in a 55. I catch up to him 5 miles later sitting at a red light and pass him when it turns green. I don't understand how he doesn't notice me pass him every morning at the light.
I've got the same thing. Almost every day someone passes me on my way to work. We work at the same place. He is usually walking in when I pull up.

Also, my brother works at the same place. Our drive is 26 miles one way. We take the same route. He usually gets home about 2 minutes before I do. I drive 55 and take it easy, he drives 60 and accelerates hard. I average 52mpg, he averages 47 without the roof racks.

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I've got the same thing. Almost every day someone passes me on my way to work. We work at the same place. He is usually walking in when I pull up.

Also, my brother works at the same place. Our drive is 26 miles one way. We take the same route. He usually gets home about 2 minutes before I do. I drive 55 and take it easy, he drives 60 and accelerates hard. I average 52mpg, he averages 47 without the roof racks.
Different strokes for different folks. If you were to only drive to work and back, you'd use exactly 1 gallon of fuel per day according to your numbers and need to fill up every 3 weeks assuming you work a 5 day work week and have a 15 gallon tank.

Your bro driving the same mileage, schedule, etc., is losing 75 miles per tank as compared to your driving habits. Or, 1.59 gallons.

My last fueling was $1.92/gal which is pretty low compared to other areas. So let's say you guys pay $2.25/gal. 1.59 gallons x $2.25 = $3.58 Technically, that gets him by for 13.5 days. So to get him to the same 3 week schedule, $3.58/13.5 days= $.265xxx and times that by 15= $3.98.

So by saving 2 minutes each way, that is 4 minutes per day x 5 days per week = 20 minutes/week. x that by 3 weeks = 1 hour, roughly.

With all that said, he spends $3.98 (or less if you guys pay less than $2.25/gal) to save roughly an hour of his time every 3 weeks. Meh, make that 45 minutes, because he has to spend 15 minutes filling the car up! ;)

Personally, I can see the case going either way depending on which is more important at that particular time in life. And yes, I was bored to do all that just now. I have lots of time at the moment. :D

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
With all that said, he spends $3.98 (or less if you guys pay less than $2.25/gal) to save roughly an hour of his time every 3 weeks. Meh, make that 45 minutes, because he has to spend 15 minutes filling the car up! ;)

Personally, I can see the case going either way depending on which is more important at that particular time in life. And yes, I was bored to do all that just now. I have lots of time at the moment. :D
Yep. That's roughly what I got when I did the math. The only difference is that I was thinking, He saved an hour and $4, so if you think of it as pay, he's getting $4/Hour to speed and risk getting pulled over. I'll just stick to driving slower.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
I agree, if someone wants to go over the speed limit they need to do it safely and not bother drivers who are committed to not getting a ticket, or getting better mpg. Here's what I did-- had a vinyl lettering shop make me a sign in big safety-yellow letters so anyone behind me can see that I'm not going to speed up, and they can just pass me whenever it's safe to do so.

What's the trick to making the photos show? They're in the tdiclub gallery.

Last edited:

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
almost 5 months without a post. Is no one getting high numbers anymore, or is it just so common that no one posts about it. :D

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
mine has dropped to between 52-54. been driving faster and with A/C on. it was a compromise.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Last night marked my 7th tank in a row over 800, and the 2nd one in a row that could have been over 900 if i wanted to push it.

Lucias_D

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Scan gauge II has for me not been very accurate with P and G. It seems like even with half-the-way-there every tank calibration doesn't prevent wild swings. Also notable that during pulses (but almost never during steady driving under load), the instant mileage is often 9999. I'm sure that's how it tries to "correct", but it seems to lead it to artificially inflate the mileage more in P and G than it does when just cruising (this tank it read 73 instead of 59!). Another factor may be that my wife drives my car quite a bit during most tanks (and with a very different style), not sure if that confuses it.
I asked around on the forums a long time ago and the EXACT same thing was happening to me. I saw my mileage go up big time, got excited, and saw it fade when my 1/2 tank mileage wasn't much different than normal. Confirmed on fill up that my SCII was incredibly inaccurate when using P&G.
...still trying for that 900 tank! Testing out Version 1 of a kammback I made recently. Maybe that will get me there. Either way, a tune and/or nozzles are also coming

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I cracked 700 miles once with the JSW, and was on fumes doing it. My hats off to those able to go 900+ miles on 15 gallons.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Can't get anywhere near 800 miles to a tank, let alone 900-1000, damn, :(

1000 miles to 15 gallons is 66 mpg, wow.

I agree, if someone wants to go over the speed limit they need to do it safely and not bother drivers who are committed to not getting a ticket, or getting better mpg. Here's what I did-- had a vinyl lettering shop make me a sign in big safety-yellow letters so anyone behind me can see that I'm not going to speed up, and they can just pass me whenever it's safe to do so.

But do you sit in the left lane plugging up traffic and being an ahole?

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks for bringing up my post from years ago about the notice on the back of my car, "I Drive The Limit." Decades without a speeding ticket and I like that. I drive the speed limit in the right lane, of course. All the best to you.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Can't get anywhere near 800 miles to a tank, let alone 900-1000, damn, :(

1000 miles to 15 gallons is 66 mpg, wow.

But do you sit in the left lane plugging up traffic and being an ahole?

Gorman (CA) to Sacramento last week: 343 miles on I-5N. 6 1/2 gallons.

I'm happy with 52.8. That's a far cry from 66.....(and I had a tailwind!)

ez (concerned about TDI fuel numbers withdrawal symptoms - but do not
wish to drive a toaster).

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Thanks for bringing up my post from years ago about the notice on the back of my car, "I Drive The Limit." Decades without a speeding ticket and I like that. I drive the speed limit in the right lane, of course. All the best to you.
Then all the best to you, thanks for being a responsible driver, :cool:

Tired of reading about left lane warriors who think its their right to do the speed limit in that lane without a care in the world for others. :mad:

Gorman (CA) to Sacramento last week: 343 miles on I-5N. 6 1/2 gallons.
I'm happy with 52.8. That's a far cry from 66.....(and I had a tailwind!)
ez (concerned about TDI fuel numbers withdrawal symptoms - but do not
wish to drive a toaster).

I'd be happy with 50, lol, but I shouldn't complain, 40 ish isn't anything to complain about in a car that's paid for. :)

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I know this is an old thread, but a few weeks back I hit 823.6 miles with my 2015 Passat TDI. Right now I'm at 663 miles with 275 miles till 0, so I may reach the 900 club. I've unfortunately had to deal with a lot of city traffic a few days, so it has killed my mileage. I have more city driving tomorrow, so it will probably kill my mileage. I'm sure I can get at least 850 miles out of this tank, but hoping for 900. It will be close.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
It only has phase 1. I'm waiting a month or two for phase 2.

Today I was able to get 900+ miles. I'm honestly surprised I was able to get it because this week I had a lot of idling and city driving when taking my daughters to their activities. This morning I was able to get my best 66.6mpg (realistic 62.6 mpg'ish b/c trip meter off 4+- mpg). On Monday I got 64.5mpg (60.5mpg).

On the way home when I started up my car I had 55mpg till empty, but I know getting out of Orlando city traffic was going to eat up a lot. It actually went pretty good getting out, but I did have to turn off my AC in the rain once I started driving on the highway. It actually felt pretty good b/c no water was getting it I just cranked them down a tad while driving to make sure I have enough to get home (62 miles). Unfortunately there were 2 wrecks that slowed traffic down, so when I was 22 miles away I hit 0 miles. I know there is about a 1.5g fuel reserve, so I wasn't too worried about running out. I was going to stop just as I passed 900 miles, but fuel was $3.44 off the interstate. I decided to just drive by my house b/c it was only $3.04 a gallon. Needless to say I was really pushing it because I almost pumped 18 gallons. I've never pumped more than 17.2 gallons before.

I know I'd be able to get 1,000 miles, but I will not try it till my daughters are done with their swim lessons, because that's twice a week I have to deal with city driving for the next few weeks on top of the other day I take them to gymnastics. I actually drove a little faster when I first started this tank, but it's kind of nice to drive a little slower in the morning. I usually get to work around the same time, maybe 5 minutes more, get to work safer, not rough on my car since I'm not using a lead foot. I rarely have to tap my brakes other than normal red lights/stop signs, so I'm constantly driving, unlike when I'm going in the fast lane. It actually seems to help traffic with less congestion, because people are able to to get over and pass if they want to, unlike when all 3 lanes are moving the same speed, or there is a person like me in the fast lane, lol. If someone is driving slow (but a little faster than me) and wants to pass me then traffic in the middle lane is moving fast enough that there isn't an issue, because they can still easily pass me and then move back over without causing congestion. If there is a slow person in the middle lane then people can move over to the fast lane or pass in the slow lane because no one is usually around me.

Whenever I go for the 1,000 mile tank I'll probably keep AC off in the morning and just crank the windows down just a tad, since it's still super early in the morning and pretty cool still. I'll keep my speeds slower from the start. As long as there aren't any major accidents it should be pretty easy. I basically got two extra days (8 instead of 6) of driving for free, because my fill ups are usually around 680-700 miles with 30+- miles left till empty.

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
It only has phase 1. I'm waiting a month or two for phase 2.

Today I was able to get 900+ miles. I'm honestly surprised I was able to get it because this week I had a lot of idling and city driving when taking my daughters to their activities. This morning I was able to get my best 66.6mpg (realistic 62.6 mpg'ish b/c trip meter off 4+- mpg). On Monday I got 64.5mpg (60.5mpg).

On the way home when I started up my car I had 55mpg till empty, but I know getting out of Orlando city traffic was going to eat up a lot. It actually went pretty good getting out, but I did have to turn off my AC in the rain once I started driving on the highway. It actually felt pretty good b/c no water was getting it I just cranked them down a tad while driving to make sure I have enough to get home (62 miles). Unfortunately there were 2 wrecks that slowed traffic down, so when I was 22 miles away I hit 0 miles. I know there is about a 1.5g fuel reserve, so I wasn't too worried about running out. I was going to stop just as I passed 900 miles, but fuel was $3.44 off the interstate. I decided to just drive by my house b/c it was only $3.04 a gallon. Needless to say I was really pushing it because I almost pumped 18 gallons. I've never pumped more than 17.2 gallons before.

I know I'd be able to get 1,000 miles, but I will not try it till my daughters are done with their swim lessons, because that's twice a week I have to deal with city driving for the next few weeks on top of the other day I take them to gymnastics. I actually drove a little faster when I first started this tank, but it's kind of nice to drive a little slower in the morning. I usually get to work around the same time, maybe 5 minutes more, get to work safer, not rough on my car since I'm not using a lead foot. I rarely have to tap my brakes other than normal red lights/stop signs, so I'm constantly driving, unlike when I'm going in the fast lane. It actually seems to help traffic with less congestion, because people are able to to get over and pass if they want to, unlike when all 3 lanes are moving the same speed, or there is a person like me in the fast lane, lol. If someone is driving slow (but a little faster than me) and wants to pass me then traffic in the middle lane is moving fast enough that there isn't an issue, because they can still easily pass me and then move back over without causing congestion. If there is a slow person in the middle lane then people can move over to the fast lane or pass in the slow lane because no one is usually around me.

Whenever I go for the 1,000 mile tank I'll probably keep AC off in the morning and just crank the windows down just a tad, since it's still super early in the morning and pretty cool still. I'll keep my speeds slower from the start. As long as there aren't any major accidents it should be pretty easy. I basically got two extra days (8 instead of 6) of driving for free, because my fill ups are usually around 680-700 miles with 30+- miles left till empty.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but the Passat has a bigger fuel tank. So 900/1000 miles is not record breaking.

Bajan