Troubleshooting Help on 2002 Jetta - Won't Start

elt2jv

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon, 2009 Jetta TDI sedan
Troubleshooting Help on 2002 Jetta - Won\'t Start

Need troubleshooting help for my wife's Jetta - rental car is getting expensive.

Quick spec's: 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI 129,000 miles

My wife drove to Jacksonville and back - around 100mi round-trip. Upon returning home, her 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI just stopped running upon pulling into our driveway - talk about lucky. She said that it gave no indication of abnormal running prior to it stalling out.

I walked out to the car and tried to start it. It turned over well and I managed to get it to run for about two or three seconds, but it would stall out immediately. I was only able to do this twice before it quit for good.

Next, I started troubleshooting IAW the Haynes manual. Here's what I've done so far:
  • Checked fuel level - tank is at ~3/4
  • Checked battery terminals - ok
  • Replaced Relay 109 - what the heck, right? - no dice
  • Checked the battery - I actually bought a new battery from the dealership ...no dice
  • Checked timing belt - visual inspection was satisfactory (my timing belt changeout is due around 140,000 miles, since I last changed it at 60,000 miles)
  • Checked fuel filter - went ahead and replaced it making sure that it was full of fuel upon completion (done this before a couple of times)
  • Checked air shut-off valve mechanical & electrical
  • Checked cold-start valve electrically - ok
This was all about 5 days ago - super-busy at work (big military inspection). I finally got a PC up and running so that I could run VAG-COM program (side note: need an OSX version
) and plugged in my car.

The auto-scan yielded only one fault code:
19561 Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239): Open or short to Ground P3105 - 35-00 - -
I checked my VW Service Manual CD (a ***** on a 640 x 480 monitor) and found that the following causes are
  • Wiring open circuit
  • Intake manifold change-over valve inoperative
Possible effects are "Harder engine stop jolts" - though, I don't notice this since I can't get the engine to run.

Does this all sound right so far? I'm going to try to do more tomorrow when I have some sun and less bugs (swamps suck).

I'm open for any advice or helpful hints.

Last edited:

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Re: Troubleshooting Help on 2002 Jetta - Won\'t Sta

could it be a clogged intake? clogged so bad that you can't even get it to start? I believe that I heard rumors of this occuring.

too bad a true inspection of the intake is a bit of a PITA with all the erg stuff still in place.

I would take off the EGR valve and see what's up.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd

The diagnostic code seems to indicate the anti-shudder valve is stuck. Check it visually by removing the big hose from the intercooler to the EGR valve.

Just a thought.

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK

Ding Ding Ding, Muggins gets it. The anti shudder valve is a bit electrically actuated butterfly valve that sits in the intake air path just in front of the EGR Valve. Much like the EGR, it can get some gunk stuck in it. If it sticks closed, the engine will get NO AIR and will not run.

It is easy to check. Pull off the intake hose and look inside. If the flap is closed, get some try and move it by hand. If you can move it, try and use some carb cleaner sprayed on a rag to clean it up. Don't spray a whole bunch of cleaner into the area directly as that stuff will get sucked in and combusted the first time you start the engine.

It is possible that the actuator has failed. In that case you may need to buy a new one.

elt2jv

TDI

Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm trapped at work and probably won't get to the car until Friday afternoon.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan

Second that diagnosis.

My coworker has an '02 Jetta TDI which only had 35K miles on it when this same thing happened (probably mostly short-trip miles), resulting in a no-start.

You can also refer to the part as the anti-runaway valve as your engine gets up in miles

elt2jv

TDI
Re: Troubleshooting Help on 2002 Jetta - Won\'t Start

Ok, I just popped off the hose that goes from the intercooler to the EGR. Surprisingly, everything looks remarkably clean. No horror stories like you see in some of the posts about who's got the most gunked-up EGR. Should I go ahead and remove the EGR and intake manifold for a cleaning even though everything appears to be fine?

Also, when I popped the hose off, the change-over valve (N239) was fully open. I fiddled around with the change-over valve mechanism and it cycled freely - though, I really never knew how easily (or hard) it moved before.

Bookerdog mentioned above that it "is possible that the actuator has failed."

How can this be checked? I've already unplugged the electrical connector and checked the voltage going to the intake manifold change-over valve (anti-shudder) and it is in spec.

The next thing I checked was the EGR. I disconnected the vacuum line to the EGR valve and hooked up the ole Mity-Vac. I gave it a few pumps and noted the correct valve movement (up) and also noted that it dropped back down upon my releasing vacuum. So, it looks like that's not an issue.

I'm going to turn in for the night. I'll start the fun again in the morning.

elt2jv

TDI

Well, I ended up removing the EGR valve body out of curiosity since I expected everything to be much more cruddy than I was seeing. Sure enough, the engine-side of the EGR valve body and the intake manifold were very gunked-up.

I removed the intake manifold and cleaned both the EGR valve body and intake manifold. The removal/cleaning/reinstall took a long time, but I managed to get everything back together with no extra parts.

After refilling the coolant system to spec, I crossed-my fingers and tried to start the car ...no luck. It would crank like a pro, but the engine would just not roar to life.

I hooked up my VAG-COM unit and checked to see if my car could tell me where it hurts - no codes.

I'm really confused now and I need the guidance of some of the salty dogs on this board. If anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

Have your tryed a "positive fuel delivery check"?
Loosen the #1 injector "B-Nut" place a rag over the B-nut and have a helper crank the engine. You should be seeing fuel being expelled from around the B-nut.
If you do not have fuel at the B-nut then this tells you that you have a fuel delivery problem.

If no fuel at the injector B-nut check for the obvious..large air bubbles in the fuel supply line?...Then check the o-rings at the fuel filter?

Check the fuel cut-off valve. Have a helper turn the ignition key to "on/off" you should be able to hear/feel the fuel shut-off valve clicking.

elt2jv

TDI

Herm TDI, I finally performed the "positive fuel delivery check" - fuel is being delivered to the cylinders.

...getting closer.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

ELTs in St. Marys should stick to water chemistry and dosimetry! (Just kidding, of course...I'm an ex Nuke ET-turned shadetree diesel mechanic)

So, no new codes? With the large hose off the intake, hook your mity vac to the anti-shudder and check operation. You'll probably be better off to follow the line from the anti-shudder to the electrical actuator in the crook of the intake (you'll see what I'm talking about when you look at it).

When the camshaft turns the vacuum pump, vacuum builds in the reservior (the big ball). Spring pressure holds the anti-shudder open. When you turn off the key, the electrical actuator in that crook de-energizes and causes the vacuum reserve in the big ball to close the anti-shudder, immediately depriving the engine of air and causing a smooth shut-down. If the electrical operator isn't closing when you energize the car, vacuum will immediately close the anti-shudder, and the engine won't run. My guess is, either that electrical actuator has failed, or come unplugged. Maybe try plugging the vacuum line that runs to the anti-shudder and see if it'll crank...

Keith

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

Or hold the anti-shudder open while your wife tries to crank the car...

elt2jv

TDI

Keith, easy on the ELTs. You know we're sensitive. Plus, I'm on shore duty - I need something to do.

I took your advice and did some experiments with the anti-shudder valve.

First, I removed the hose off the intake so that I could see the "resting" position of the anti-shudder valve - it was open. Next, I had my wife crank the car while I watched the anti-shudder valve. As expected, it did not shut during the cranking, so I know the engine was getting air.

The anti-shudder valve did not shut when my wife stopped cranking the engine, though. I suspect that this is due to engine not turning fast enough (i.e. more than starter RPM) to build up enough vacuum.

I've checked the anti-shudder valve with my MityVac and it operates easily - so I know it's not jammed-up.

So, after all of the experiments, I'm pretty sure that the following are not the problem:<ul type="square">[*]clogged fuel filter[*]clogged air filter[*]air in fuel line[*]failure of fuel pump to deliver fuel[*]clogged/severely reduced air intake[*]anti-shudder (N239) mech/electrical malfunction[/list]So, I'm going to the auto parts store to buy/borrow a compression testing kit. Perhaps there's not enough pressure in the cylinders to get started. I'll report my results when I'm done.

I guess the problem could also be the injectors not injecting. I have no idea how to test that, though.

Thanks, everyone, for your continuing assistance.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

Yea that could be it. Couldn't you pull an injector, ground it and see if fuel comes out?

elt2jv

TDI

Ok, I unplugged glow plug #1 and attached a compression gauge. The compression was in specification. I didn't do the others because there wasn't enough clearance to get the gauge on the other cylinders.

I'm about to give up and tow the beast to the nearest dealership (about 50mi away). Here's a request for all VW Jedi to descend upon this thread and spread their wisdom upon it ...or fix my car from afar using the Force.

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI

It's a good time to check some fuses to see if any are blown. One likely possibility is fuse F34 that supplies power to the intake manifold changerover valve and the commence injection valve. Other fuses to check include fuses F10. F29, and F32. It would not hurt to check the metal strap alternator fuse F176 located over the battery.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

Drain some fuel from the water seperator and make sure it's really diesel. With compression and combustible fluid being injected somewhere near TDC, that thing ought to at least start and run roughly.

PS...as a side note, #1 is the one closest to the timing belt, and number 4 is the easiest one to get to. Darned wannabe-MMs!

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

OK, I re-read your post where you changed the fuel filter...so skip that part...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

Well, it appears you have compression, fuel, and air... only thing left is timing... Could something have thrown the pump timing off??

You could try spraying some WD-40 into the intake (at the butterfly) to see if the car will at least start with that...

Life was a bit easier with the computer-less mechanical systems of previous diesels...

Yuri.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M

agreed, take off the timing belt cover and look at the pump sprocket, are the sprocket bolts riding on one extreem side of the elongated holes through which they pass? Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

elt2jv

TDI

runonbeer, I checked out the fuel pump sprocket. It appears to be ok. The timing belt was replaced at ~60k mi. with a 80k mi belt. Also, a quick inspection of the belt yields no deformation or missing/damaged teeth - or whatever you call them.

Dick, I checked all of the fuses you mentioned - they're all good. I wasn't exactly sure about the F176, but I checked all three of the fuses on top of the battery - again, all good.

YMZ, I'll get some WD-40.

elt2jv

TDI

Yeah, I just got the Jetta back from Tom Bush Volkswagen in Jacksonville, Florida.

Their diagnosis: the roller gave out causing the timing belt to jump one or more teeth.

I had them replace the roller, timing belt, tensioner and water pump while they were at it.

I'm bummed that I couldn't figure this out on my own. I'd much rather have fixed this myself rather than pay the enormous labor charges ($510). Overall, I ended up paying just over $1000 after taxes.

For future reference, how can one tell if the rollers are shot without actually removing the timing belt?

Oh yeah, the dealership put in a remanufactured water pump after I specifically asked them to put in a new water pump. After I confronted customer service agent with this, she initally told me that this was a new part. When I pointed out the "rmftg" on the invoice, she back-pedalled and said that this was the only available water pump and that new water pumps were unavailble through her suppliers. I called her on that. Sure enough, when she called her supervisor on the phone, he stated that the new water pumps were available. At this point she offered to make the change (riiiight) and have the car ready for me in another day - of course, I'd have to pay the $90 difference.

$#!@!***$#@~

Lesson learned: Get everything in writing. Speak to the manager. Speak to the mechanic. ...better yet, I must improve my mechanic skills (spare me the ELT jokes) and never take my car to the dealership again.

One more thing: they said there was no damage to the engine and based on the performance of the car after this service, I tend to believe them. However, after seeing that post about the guy whose engine failed after 303k miles, I have a little warning light going off in the back of my head. Is there anything I can do to determine if any damage has occurred? Or am I being paranoid.