Getting a Phase 2 Fix Next Week

TMccord12

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6M
Ah, that makes a bit more sense. So let me get this straight, if I have less than 70k miles (I have a manual transmission), then they will just perform 2A, correct?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Supposed to be that way. There have been a few posts where they just went ahead and did the whole thing anyway. Seemed to depend on how close you were to the cutoff mileage. If you had 10k miles I would say pretty good chance only 2A. If you had 50k miles I would bet they would try a 2B. Ask before hand which they are planning on doing.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
I had the phase 2A fix done a couple of days ago at Victoria Volkswagen. My car has only 40,000 kms. and manual transmission so the only things done were the NOx sensor, pipe and wiring, and an ECU reflash. No oil change, no DEF top up, nothing else done (which is actually just fine with me...).

Was asked if I needed a loaner car, but I declined as I didn't need one. Took it in 9:30 a.m. and was ready to be picked up in the afternoon.

I can't really notice any change, possibly the engine note is a bit different? Hard to say, certainly nothing to be bothered by. I'm actually relieved, as I was worried there would be negative consequences.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
There is a VW TDI emissions portal that dealers are supposed to contact in order to determine which Phase 2 is required. My dealer did this in front of me; he entered the VIN and mileage (15K) and, voila, it came back with 2A only. It also specified gratis loaner not covered. Dealer confirmed that it is covered with 2B or 2A + 2B.

Apparently VW is very strict about dealers documenting these repairs to get reimbursement. I got a call from the dealer a couple of weeks after Phase 2 was completed. He said VW would not allow reimbursement of the job until the dealer corrected an incorrect date of completion hand written on the Phase 2A sticker.

Last edited:

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I had a Phase 2a fix at the dealership a few weeks ago here in PEI. My 2015 Sportwagen had only 25,000 km and therefore wasn't eligible for the DPF replacement.
Basically they cut a piece of the exhaust, and put in another sensor. ( or that is what I was told)

The service dept seemed clueless regarding, when I would be contacted regarding the DPF replacement & seemed to have no knowledge regarding the extended warranty on my TDI engine|emission stuff.

I was amazed and disappointed that the mechanic who was the most "knowledgeable" suggested that "VW doesn't tell us this stuff"?

Like ***!!! Am working on a letter to VW Canada to clarify what the real deal is?

Via this forum and a few others, I am aware of what should be happening. But can't figure out the obvious disconnect or lack of info between VW Canada & my local dealership.

Am I missing something?

Thanks & not too happy...

TMccord12

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6M
So I took it in today, they said they were going to do both parts of Phase 2. But of course they won't even look at the car until Wednesday...to which I replied, oh I'll bring it back on Wednesday. The dealer said if I did that they wouldn't be able to start the work until Friday. ***??

They didn't have a loaner vehicle for me and provided no alternative options. i contacted VWoA and they said they would talk to the dealer directly about a loaner but that won't happen until Wednesday either.

Long story short, I have no car for a undetermined amount of time.

Gotta love the Holidays!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why did you leave it with everything still hanging in the air? I wouldn't have done that. Get an answer first then decide on leaving it or not. I wouldn't even go to the dealer without a copy of the settlement agreement in my hands.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Why did you leave it with everything still hanging in the air? I wouldn't have done that. Get an answer first then decide on leaving it or not. I wouldn't even go to the dealer without a copy of the settlement agreement in my hands.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Bingo. I had the agreement with me. I told them I'll need my loaner. They said, "OK sure, that'll be $50/day." I said, "OK sure, no it's free. Look here."

Problem solved on the spot.

TMccord12

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6M
A bit shortsighted on my part, I know, but I did explain that the recall notice said they needed to provide me with a loaner--and they seemed to be aware of this on their own. But apparently there was nothing they could do at that time.

Just have to make it to Wednesday to see what VWoA says. Thankfully I'm off work the next few days so I don't really need a car.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I stopped by the VW parts dept to order some items for my 15 TDI Golf that I just bought. On the way out I asked the service writer about when I should get phase 2 done. He told me it needs to be done by 12-30-18 I said I thought that was for the settlement? He asked another writer which wasn't sure. He mentioned he could set me up today, I told him I didn't have the car with me but could have it here in a few minutes. He also asked if I needed a loaner? I said yes. They gave me a 18 Jetta wagon

I ended up calling customer service because I would of rather waited a few weeks before getting it done but was told the reason they are asking to have phase 2 done by 12-30-18 VW won't guarantee parts availability after that.

So mine is sitting over there waiting to be done. I guess I'm glad I asked. Mine has 35K miles so I guess its going to get 2A done.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'll find out Weds. when I drop mine off. I didn't know about "2a or 2b", I only saw if it's under 70k and had phase 1 done when purchased "new", that it would only be a reprogram(DSG model). I tried telling the service advisor that, but he said wasn't sure till they get it in, just to bring insurance and credit card for loaner. I guess I'll wait there before I hand stuff over to see which fix I'll be getting, they also need to install a horn.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From my reading it is only for those that are trying to get the settlement money. They have to keep parts on hand for all the cars still on the road. How will they meet their warranty requirements if they don't have parts to repair the cars? With the extended emissions warranty due to the settlement out to 12 years for some of us, they will have to keep some on hand for quite a while or be prepared to buy people out due to not being able to repair their car.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
From my reading it is only for those that are trying to get the settlement money. They have to keep parts on hand for all the cars still on the road. How will they meet their warranty requirements if they don't have parts to repair the cars? With the extended emissions warranty due to the settlement out to 12 years for some of us, they will have to keep some on hand for quite a while or be prepared to buy people out due to not being able to repair their car.
That was my point yesterday at the dealer, but when I called VW to ask their backed up the dealers statement so I didn't want to take a chance and miss the recall.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Dropped the car off at 8am at dealer, picked up loaner(new Rogue, 298 miles on it)- service advisor wasn't sure what fix it'd get, he said tech would be the one to find out when he types my vin and mileage in. I got a call around 2:15 saying it was all set, including installing the horn. Picked it up a little after 4.... 4 parts listed for recall, says recall complete. The part #'s on my invoice were : 1k0298101d, conv. kit - 5q0253301h, pipe- 03L010005J-TDI Emiss, CAMPTDI2016_3C- Emiss Mod...... hood sticker says phase 2 partial completion. The horn # they replaced was 5Q0951221. So far so good...

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I also picked mine up yesterday. Only showed two part numbers on mine. 1K0-298-101-D Conv Kit 5Q0-253-301-H Pipe

TMccord12

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6M
Picked up mine today after bringing it in for Phase 2 and a CEL brought about because of coolant pump V488 failing. Kit A was installed and wiring to V488 was replaced because something chewed through it. Everything seems to be working just fine, car is running smooth, nothing to complain about so far! Except for the POS Kia Forte that was my rental haha

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
Picked my TDI up yesterday after completion of the phase 2 fix. Notice an increase in MPG by 8-10 mpg, so far with same daily route. The car shifts smoother, the shifts don't hang as much as before, most noticeable from 1st to 2nd.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Utter BS! 8-10 mpg and you just got it back yesterday. Why do people post stuff like this. Your mileage isn't even accurate with what you are doing. Show us some before and after tank full hand calculated results and maybe you will be believable. This sure isn't anything to take into account.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I honestly haven't noticed a bit of difference in my car post-Phase 2 fix, and I got the whole enchilada (DSG over 40K miles). Car feels the same, shifts the same, gets same mpg, and regens still happen roughly every 240-260 miles like before and still last 12 minutes or so.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
Utter BS! 8-10 mpg and you just got it back yesterday. Why do people post stuff like this. Your mileage isn't even accurate with what you are doing. Show us some before and after tank full hand calculated results and maybe you will be believable. This sure isn't anything to take into account.
I'm not posting this for you to believe it or not... just simply sharing my experience. FYI though, the MPG increase is 8-10 due to the variance between the gauge cluster displayed average MPG, Scan Gauge II, GasBuddy App and own calculations (just for good measure)... All done over 250~ miles.

Not sure why you think that a full tank needs to be used to calculate the fuel economy. It's simple math, divide the miles traveled by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank. The result will be your car’s average miles per gallon yield for that driving period. How much your filling as nothing to do with it.

Can you tell me where you got your certification/training/expertise? Because I see nothing but posts from you debating what other people share. Whether the information shared should be taken into consideration is up to each individual to decide... but dude just stop being so negative and thinking you know it all.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So many people love to brag about optimistic MFD data over a 10 mile down hill drive, many take numbers with a grain of salt, it always helps to specify that you hand calculated. Heck if you were driving city 90% of the time 2- mile or less trips and then had phase 2 done just before you took that 250-500 mile holiday road trip, heck yeah you're going to get 8-10mpg increase, but that wasn't due to the phase 2 that was due to driving habit.

Big thing around here is ambient temps tanking MPG as well as winter blended fuel, not much you can do about that.

I'll still be interested in what the next few tanks give you for economy.

Last edited:

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
So many people love to brag about optimistic MFD data over a 10 mile down hill drive, many take numbers with a grain of salt, it always helps to specify that you hand calculated. Heck if you were driving city 90% of the time 2- mile or less trips and then had phase 2 done just before you took that 250-500 mile holiday road trip, heck yeah you're going to get 8-10mpg increase, but that wasn't due to the phase 2 that was due to driving habit.

Big thing around here is ambient temps tanking MPG as well as winter blended fuel, not much you can do about that.

I'll still be interested in what the next few tanks give you for economy.
No actually, I take the same drive I do every week or so... Phoenix to Los Angeles. The drive consists of mostly flat desert and 30~ miles of mountains up and down. I very familiar with what the car is capable of as I have done this drive close to 40 plus times since I purchased my TDI.

I use cruise the entire way set to 75 mph, so driving habits don't have anything to do with it. The only factor(s) that would have any play in this would be winter blend and outside ambient temperatures. They could have very well played a roll, however I just did this trip two weeks ago... nearly identical conditions... less mpg.

I don't do hardly any city driving and when I do it's early in the morning i.e 5-5:30 so I don't have traffic. Personally, I don't honestly care about the MPG, my company pays my reimbursement so 12 MPG is the same as 40 MPG for me, simply just sharing my experience.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Be sure to factor for wind as well. It kills top mpg in my car. I've had days where my 55 mile (each leg) commute will net 60 mpg on the tailwind leg and then 50 mpg on the headwind.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No actually, I take the same drive I do every week or so... Phoenix to Los Angeles. The drive consists of mostly flat desert and 30~ miles of mountains up and down. I very familiar with what the car is capable of as I have done this drive close to 40 plus times since I purchased my TDI.
I use cruise the entire way set to 75 mph, so driving habits don't have anything to do with it. The only factor(s) that would have any play in this would be winter blend and outside ambient temperatures. They could have very well played a roll, however I just did this trip two weeks ago... nearly identical conditions... less mpg.
I don't do hardly any city driving and when I do it's early in the morning i.e 5-5:30 so I don't have traffic. Personally, I don't honestly care about the MPG, my company pays my reimbursement so 12 MPG is the same as 40 MPG for me, simply just sharing my experience.

Pffft ditch the GSW and get a Caddy CTS-V! JK that kind of commute is perfect for a TDI. Maybe the trip you took just didn't have a regen, either way enjoy as the miles tick by.

Also, I was just explaining why lightflyer was so offended by the crazy numbers you saw after fix, I think he's jealous.