Reading engine models, serials, labels

Simon1234

TDI
06 Golf BEW MK4
Got tired searching through forum posts with no avail and couldnt find anything useful.. please point me towards it if you know of such!

In short, looking for how to read all the numbers on the block, head, label, etc. not sure if some of these numbers are models vs serials..

I have a 06 Golf GLS BEW with a diagnosed stuck exhaust valve, still runs but in limp mode and sounds nasty above 2250 rpm. I bought a used BEW to swap in (not sure year or model its from, as I bought from a guy who needed a BRM and he got it from a canadian dismantling shop, have reached out to them to get info but no reply yet) but am noticing some differences and not sure if its a direct swap or not.. So far noticed oil pans are different (used is 2 piece and no oil sensor indent, and is indented on bottom so might switch them if possible), and theres no triple temp sensor set up on coolant hose on used block. I was planning on switching some parts over that are with in 2 years old (intake, vnt17 turbo, tandem pump, vnt actuator, etc.), but will switch to doing a full rebuild if the ecu cant play nice with this new to me used block. and the used block will go into the jeep whenever the ole mighty 4.0l with 320k finally dies.

So! the similarities in numbers first are:
(all are cast numbering, haven't found any stamped,etched yet, so not sure if im even looking at the right numbers..)

both have 038 103 373 AB on the head by timing belt
both are BEW
both have 038 AP and V1600 cast on block between #2 and 3

Differences
on timing chain cover label:
my 06 block has BEW 063 270*
used blocked has BEW 033 525*

my 06 has V420 on head by #2 cylinder and H19 by #3
used block V400 and H24 by #3

my 06 has 09F cast in block by #4
used block 25B

seeing the different pans stopped me from pulling motor, but ill continue to do that to get them out and side by side, but dont want to waste my time installing used block if it wont work with ecu and all of the 06 sensors, etc in the golf.
any and all help appreciated if im over thinking this or if i did screw up and buy a wrong engine.. already have new timing kit, and all the seals to swap the parts i want over.

so what of these numbers are models and what are serials?

clearly used is older just not sure how old or what car it was in.. was told it had 150k on it and was tested and ran before sold. golf has 270k on the clock.
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Definitely just noticed the used block has a flex plate instead of a flywheel... im perty screwed for a direct swap, correct?
that means it was for an auto. just swap out the flywheel from yours to the engine your going to use. should bolt right up.

Simon1234

TDI
06 Golf BEW MK4
thanks, good to hear! know any basics on reading models vs serials? either way just want to know if any of them are serials or not.. but havent found any charts/diagrams for breaking down the codes like reading vins. still kicking myself for not noticing that earlier lol

Last edited: