Oily engine compartment

Willy56

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI
Hopefully not a silly question.

My 2013 Golf Wagon TDI has a very dirty and oily engine compartment. I owned a 96 Golf Diesel and do recall it being dirtier then a gas engine all over but not like this one.
I bought it a year ago with 87000 km on it and it appears to in perfect condition other then the oily film everywhere.

Is this indicative of a TDI engine?
Or do I have a possible leak somewhere?

Can I take to a wand wash and clean it with no issues, as I feel if there is a leak it will be next to impossible to find it like it is.

I have had the oil changed regularly an have not heard there are any issues.
I do not work on my own cars and this must be a serious pain in the ass to work on a vehicle with this oily an engine.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
protect electrical connections
engine foam cleaner foamy spray
garden hose

get a UV leak detector kit,
find the leak.
not that difficult or $$$

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I do not work on my own cars and this must be a serious pain in the ass to work on a vehicle with this oily an engine.
guarantee there are worse cars to work on
especially if the inside of the car is kept reasonably clean

muuuch rather work on something that's got a clean interior but an inch of grease caked underneath as opposed to the chinese buffet delivery car that comes in from time to time that is pretty clean underneath, but the seats are now pretty convincing fake leather from the amount of human filth that is coating the cloth

long as you aren't going through an excessive amount of oil on top-ups you're usually best off ignoring it