2012 Audi A3 TDI Maintenance Schedule

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
I'm at 60K miles and have done one oil change since buying the car 10K miles ago. What is the scheduled maintenance for my car at this point? It was a VW/Audi buy back after the Dieselgate affair.

So far from the Audi PDF, what I've gotten it down to (at 55K miles):

-Engine oil/filter (done about 4K miles ago)
-Check level of cooling system
-Replace fuel filter
-Lubricate door hinges/straps
-Check battery for damage and proper mounting
-Dust and pollen filter replace
-Air cleaner (clean housing, replace filter element
-Ribbed belt-check condition
-Plenum Panel – remove cover for plenum panel to check water drain and
clean if necessary
-Wiper Blades – check condition and replace if necessary
-Wiper/Washer/Headlight Washer – check adjustment and function,
add fluid if necessary
-Front Lighting – check function of parking lights, low beams, high beams, fog lights, blinkers and hazard lights
-Rear Lighting – check function of brake lights (including third brake light), tail lights, back-up lights, rear fog lights, license plate lights, blinkers and hazard lights
-Service Reminder Display – reset
-Horn – check function
-Sliding Roof – clean guide rails and lubricate with grease
-Brake System – check for damage, leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
-Exhaust System – check for damage, leaks
-Front and Rear Axle – check for excessive play, check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends
-Drive Shaft Boots – check
-Automatic Transmission and Final Drive – check for leaks
-Underbody – check for damage and leaks
-Road Test – check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, ASL Automatic Shift Lock, power accessories and reset driver information display

Timing Belt – replace at 110K miles (175,000 km) on TTS or 130K miles (205,000 km) on A3 2.0L TDI only. Check condition of timing belt tensioning system, dampening pulleys and idler pulleys, and replace if necessary
Looks like I'm OK on the timing belt for quite a while yet.

Anything else I should look at doing? I'm going to do a complete brake job when I get new tires and probably just replace the brakes when I replace the tires. My MK4 Jetta didn't need brakes done when I sold it and I had put 87K on it myself. I was very surprised.

Resources:

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/maintenance-schedules/Audi-Maintenance-Schedule-Model-Year-2012.pdf

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/maintenance-schedules/MY%202012%20Audi%20USA%20Scheduled%20Maintenance_NEW%20FORMAT_5-11-2018.pdf

https://www.driverside.com/service-schedule/audi-a3-2012-30592-52309-0

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
The most important thing to do is going to service the DSG. It's supposed to be done every 40k miles, but I wouldn't assume this one has been done when it was supposed to.

sizzlin bacon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI S
The most important thing to do is going to service the DSG. It's supposed to be done every 40k miles, but I wouldn't assume this one has been done when it was supposed to.
So I contacted the service department at the dealership listed on the CarFax and they confirmed that the DSG was serviced at 41K. It is now at 61K miles so I know I'm OK on that front. I was not looking forward to a $400ish bill just for that alone.

Aside from that, anything else I should be doing? I'll be doing the brakes...if I bleed the brakes, will I have to have Audi reset the computer (did my wife's Prius and bled the brakes after doing a brake job and only Toyota has the computer to reset it unless you "know someone" with the software).

Thanks! :)

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I have a bad habit of "while I'm in there". When I do a job, I replace or upgrade everything I can while I have stuff apart.

Brakes for example, I'll probably replace the rubber lines with braided steel and replace the rubber bushings with tyrolsport brass bushings. (I'd also recommend something like a Schwaben 3 liter euro pressure brake bleeder system for changing the fluid... it's amazing).

I don't think (if it's anything like my '14 sportwagen or '05 S4) that you need to do anything with the computer when servicing the brakes.

Also, the DSG service is not really any more difficult than changing the oil provided you do the top-fill method.