Golf MKIV Smyth Ute Project

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I continue to be impressed. What's with the laser stars?

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I continue to be impressed. What's with the laser stars?
Haha, just goofy lighting. It's an interesting shop.

On a side note, I figured out my issue with the side skirts is that needed about 2" trimmed from the ends. They are going to trim, attach, and wrap. Fingers crossed, I should still be getting her back next week.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They really did a great job. Of course, if you get close enough you can see some flaws - that's just the limitations of the material, the fiberglass, and the amateur body work. It's not a show car, but will keep me out of trouble.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Almost makes me want to convert my golf... But I gotta get a few other projects out of the way first, like a TDI caddy swap.
I would MUCH rather have an ALH-swapped caddy, but that is way beyond my ability. Hope to see you post it up here!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I would MUCH rather have an ALH-swapped caddy, but that is way beyond my ability. Hope to see you post it up here!
I think I have a build thread started, I don't remember. It's actually an ahu swap in a 1980 early westy caddy. I'm still working on building the engine for it, but I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally got this thing smogged and registered. And after 18 years of ownership, I have finally taken the rite of passage of performing my own timing belt service. Only 50k miles since the last service, which was 10 years ago. It was slow going, but I managed to get it done without trashing the head. I did, however, crack the cam sprocket because I had not backed the bolt off far enough before using the puller.

Nevertheless, timing was within the window once I buttoned her up.

And I was able to advance to the upper end by moving the pump sprocket.

Long story short, she lives to drive another day!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
actually, with the right tune, you do NOT want timing so advanced ;) advance is a real killer. most people on't realize that, because they've done hardware changes and people think you need that advance to start, but it's not true. the advance helps it start on a tune with the wrong maps

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A puller for the cam gear? Isn't there a 1/4" hole in the upper cover, so you can tap the gear off with a punch?
Shrugs...it was in the tool kit and the DBW and MTD write-ups suggested using a puller. Such is life.

actually, with the right tune, you do NOT want timing so advanced ;) advance is a real killer. most people on't realize that, because they've done hardware changes and people think you need that advance to start, but it's not true. the advance helps it start on a tune with the wrong maps
Good to know. I am in very temperate climes now and do not anticipate starting problems. Other than slightly elevated temps, is there any harm here? Or can I just go another 10 years without caring haha?